advertisement

OMG, Mk 1 Kans are like crack!

Here's a photo of my mk1's that I picked up cheap because they were in shite state. I took them apart and checked everything was ok and to make sure they are still airtight. The wood was quite battered and scratched but I managed to keep enough of the black stain and then just applied a few coats of danish oil. Think I may get them a little darker before I'm finished though.

imageqer.jpg

Stunning. Great speakers these. i had a pair years ago and they did nothing but please.:D

BTW have you heard the album by lebowski? here is a review. Sound great through your Kans. Congrats on the great job. They look a million dollars.
http://progmeister.com/lebowski-cinematic

Just examined original invoice for 1987 covering Lp12, Ittok, K9, NAIT (black shoebox), Linn Kans (black), Linn Kan II stands & NAC4. LP12 + NAIT all serviced as and when; Kans a couple of inches away from solid wall with stands tightened and pressed firmly into floor every now and then. If Kans are away from corners and slightly toed in then aural pleasure ensues.

I found a pic of the old Mk2s:

Hi Robert,

Why then would Linn purposely stain such a nice looking finish as this is beyond me - once again the play on grains is beautiful to these eyes.

Who knew they could be made to look so good by merely removing the blacken stain finish?. This has certainly given me an ideal next time I'm to spot a pair of black ones on what to do.

Thanks guys.
o_O scar

Hi Robert,

Why then would Linn purposely stain such a nice looking finish as this is beyond me - once again the play on grains is beautiful to these eyes.

Who knew they could be made to look so good by merely removing the blacken stain finish?. This has certainly given me an ideal next time I'm to spot a pair of black ones on what to do.

Thanks guys.
o_O scar

Yes Oscar, loads of tatty black ash Kans around and they look far better stripped and waxed IMO. The black ones tend to be cheaper too.

Those look amazing think I may give mine a bit more sanding to reduce the black slightly.

I picked mine up for £130 from a woman who was doing a house clearance, she had no idea what they are and just wanted rid. They were almost white with dust, cobwebs and that horrible gunk that gets left by years of sticky tape.

When I bought mine I was told they were a special finish - blond ash :)

Clearly weren't but no matter. Loved the look and it was professionally done to factory standard.

Yes Oscar, loads of tatty black ash Kans around and they look far better stripped and waxed IMO. The black ones tend to be cheaper too.

I've to wholeheartedly agree with you there. Once again thanks for letting me know just what these would look like after done in this manner. I'm very impressed.

Just examined original invoice for 1987 covering Lp12, Ittok, K9, NAIT (black shoebox), Linn Kans (black), Linn Kan II stands & NAC4. LP12 + NAIT all serviced as and when; Kans a couple of inches away from solid wall with stands tightened and pressed firmly into floor every now and then. If Kans are away from corners and slightly toed in then aural pleasure ensues.

Hi auric,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice in your message about toeing in the Kans. I had a pair of Kan 2s in the mid nineties which were stolen when I was a student and its taken me this long to find a replacement. Did get a very old pair Kan mk 1 along the way but they were well.....knackered. Sent them off for a refurb to a well known driver supplier but they butchered them! Anyway got mint condition mk2 ku Stone that I’ve been moving closer and further away from the wall to try and snap them into focus but something still not quite as I remember. After much searching around the net looking for anyone who recommended toeing in - found your post, tried it and all the joy of the Kan returned! Cheers!

I wonder how many Kan's were sold on the back of Sultans of swing.
One of my early demos at Russ Andrews in Edinburgh was that exact pairing and yes it was amazing (can't remember anything else being played on them lol)

David

My favorite Kan track was “Should I Stay or Should I Go?” Lots of fun, as was Gabriel’s “Kiss of Life.”

I once had a dem at Grahams in London as I was their to buy a 2nd hand Naim 42 -110 off them and was using black ash Kans.
I remember that dem quite vividly.It was a large dem room and they where on Kan 2 stands.
They played Grace Jones Walking in the rain and it was an amazing sound for such a small speaker.
Took the 42 -110 and they put nylon string around the Naim boxes and I took them on the underground back to Victoria.
Enjoyed them but did need a 250 to really sing.I later ditched Naim selling my 42.5 - Hicap 250 and got a pair of AE1's and Bryston amps.
A few years later one fell over and ended up with no sound and ended up in a cupboard...I don't know why but there was a skip up my road and I was on a purge of stuff I no longer used and they ended up in the skip !
Did think they had a letter box sort of sound though and can understand why people dislike them.A bit marmite really.Good fun though...if you like what they do that's all that matters.

advertisement

Back