advertisement

Book an appointment for A&E

The BBC reports that trials are under way where people will be asked to phone 111 to book an appointment to attend A&E.

It says people without an appointment will still be able to attend A&E but are likely to have to wait longer.

I can kind of see the logic to this. A&E depts are often overwhelmed and using a phone triage will help identify non-urgent cases that could be dealt with by a GP.

But it does also rather feel like the thin end of the wedge.

Had to do this a few weeks back, I was booked in at a set time.I arrived on time and was seen within 5 minutes. The previous time I was in A and E I waited 6 hours.

The hassle is that an awful lot of people attending A&E aren't either.

The idea is to keep staff and patients C19-safe and for patents to get sorted asap without being part of a scrum that stretches along corridors and the like. True emergencies obviously just pitch-up whenever misfortune strikes.

All eminently sensible, I would suggest.

I think there is currently a difference between local walking wounded shops and full A & E. Our local hospital treatment centre has a minor incident unit where right now you have to book to get in.

A week ago my wife ripped a tendon in a finger (removing her jeans!). The local centre was open but the X-ray service closes at 5pm. Dial 111 and explain and told to go to A & E. So at 11:30 pm I had to drive her to A & E. The 111 service does not call ahead to 'book', so you still arrive unannounced and, it being very quiet, she was seen immediately. I, as driver, was sent off to wait outside for an hour until she was patched up. She now has up to 10 weeks with no middle finger use! So I do more washing up. Marriage... for better, for worse and all that.

I think this is a potentially a good idea, it would also be useful if you could get an idea of likely waiting time so you could stagger visits.

We need to make use of new technology, how about a call back where you could do a ‘Zoom’ consultation with an A&E Dr?

interesting ... i wonder if this would increase workload ? maybe folks would see this as a viable alternative to getting a GP appointment
Its 40 years since i worked in A&E !!! not much has changed , its stll unbelievably busy , dangerous and stressful !!!

maybe folks would see this as a viable alternative to getting a GP appointment

I think that's one of the problems it's trying to address - people attending A&E for matters they should be seeing their GP about.

I understand it though. In the past I've been told the next available appointment was 2-3 weeks and have chosen instead to go to the (excellent) walk-in clinic in Soho square where I can be seen the same day if I'm happy to wait 2-3 hours.

Whilst I can see the counter arguments.. it does seem like in some ways Covid is being over egged.... people who could lose a leg due to injury or die from cancer or other illnesses are being turned away, not allowed face to face consultations with doctors etc etc, and all due to a virus which has about 1% fatality rate...

Whilst I can see the counter arguments.. it does seem like in some ways Covid is being over egged.... people who could lose a leg due to injury or die from cancer or other illnesses are being turned away, not allowed face to face consultations with doctors etc etc, and all due to a virus which has about 1% fatality rate...

Not all of that is actually universally true, and as for anyone with cancer, one of the very last things that they would need, would be C19 picked up as a hospital infection.

If only life, the NHS and C19 were simple.

...But it does also rather feel like the thin end of the wedge.

I think it's pernicious - it'll be a triage system that eventually blocks access to A&E until people learn exaggerate their symptoms, at which point it'll become farce. Then there will be a limited number of appointments per day, be sure to phone by 8 am etc etc. We hear frequently of GPs who misdiagnose emergency conditions for whatever reason, it'll be 100 times more difficult by phone. This must be opposed.

Not all of that is actually universally true, and as for anyone with cancer, one of the very last things that they would need, would be C19 picked up as a hospital infection.

If only life, the NHS and C19 were simple.

You did read the bit in bold italics?

Covid is a risk. Risks need assessing. Not getting radiation therapy or chemo is more likely fatal.

Yes there will be many many people dying from cancer and other diseases as a result of a delay in care with covid

advertisement

Back