advertisement

MC cartridge for a Roksan Nima

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Hello there,
sorry, I need a suggestion about a MC cartridge for my Roksan Nima.
I tried a Ortofon Quintet Red, but it is too heavy for the arm counterweight.
Now I’m trying an AT-OC9, which is lighter, and now the counterweight is able to counterbalance the cartridge, but it is still in its limit position.

Could you suggest a lighter suitable MC cartridge or do you know where I can find a heavier counterweight for the Nima?

Turntable is a Michell Gyrodec SE.

Many thanks
Mauro

I only used one with the Nima here - a DV 20X2 and that was fine (but beaten hollow by a Delos in the setup here)

Be careful -a heavier c/b on the Nima reduces effective mass, NOT increases it.

I only used one with the Nima here - a DV 20X2 and that was fine (but beaten hollow by a Delos in the setup here)

Be careful -a heavier c/b on the Nima reduces effective mass, NOT increases it.

The Dyna is 9.2g, so heavier than the Quintet (which is 9g) and the OC9 (which is 7.6g).

So, how did you manage to balance the cartridge?

The Dyna is 9.2g, so heavier than the Quintet (which is 9g) and the OC9 (which is 7.6g).

So, how did you manage to balance the cartridge?

Sounds like a fundemental hassle somewhere as I had no problem with the standard Nima. That said, the heavier cart' weight means that the c/b weight would be further from the pivot.

(but beaten hollow by a Delos in the setup here)

Lyras and unipivots are known synergistic buddies and I believe the Nima is a unipivot. Without even knowing the Nima (although I have and have had unipivots and upper Lyras), I would recommend the Delos, which, from memory, is fairly light, like most other Lyras. Guess the Hana as rec. by LFM 83 above, would be a definite go to proposition too.

Yea.... Ortofon mc on my Nima at work. The counterweight is hanging off the back as far as it will go. To be honest ive always disliked the Nima . Horrible plastic feeling thing.

In situations like yours gerlando I have fltted a 5 gram tyre weight to the counter balance. Use black tac.
A bit Heath Robinson but OK for a stop gap to facilitate a heavier cartridge.

In situations like yours gerlando I have fltted a 5 gram tyre weight to the counter balance. Use black tac.
A bit Heath Robinson but OK for a stop gap to facilitate a heavier cartridge.

Or self adhesive lead strip from golf or tennis supplies.
Used to have a Nima myself and always found the counterweight was too light.

I'm running an Ortofon Kontrapunkt-b on my Nima on a Gyrodec and it works well for me. The specs say the cartridge weighs 10g, which is less than your cartridge, here's what it looks like:

IMG_20200917_225204 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

N77hwG

IMG_20200917_225213 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

So i'm wondering why you have trouble with a 9g cartridge... Is my Nima not standard somehow?

I'm running an Ortofon Kontrapunkt-b on my Nima on a Gyrodec and it works well for me. The specs say the cartridge weighs 10g, which is less than your cartridge, here's what it looks like:

IMG_20200917_225204 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

N77hwG

IMG_20200917_225213 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

So i'm wondering why you have trouble with a 9g cartridge... Is my Nima not standard somehow?
1) your Nima is a MKII while mine is a MKI. I don’t know if there is any difference between the two.
2) your cartridge is mounted far behind than mine in the headshell. The stylus should be aligned with the front edge of the headshell (so recite the instructions on the owner’s manual).

My Nima was a MK1 but I don't think there is any significant difference.
I was running an 8g cartridge at 1.4g (the lower the downforce the further back the counterweight) and my CW was almost hanging off the back-hence using lead strip to get the CW closer to the pivot.

I use a Mk 1 Nima, with an 8.9gram DV XX2 - I've not had this issue. My cart was installed during a dealer service of my LP12.

1) your Nima is a MKII while mine is a MKI. I don’t know if there is any difference between the two.
2) your cartridge is mounted far behind than mine in the headshell. The stylus should be aligned with the front edge of the headshell (so recite the instructions on the owner’s manual).

I wasn't aware mine was a Mk II, I haven't followed the iterations on the arm.

As for mounted position, the Kontrapunkt is trapezoidal, so the stylus is aligned with the front edge of the headshell as far as I can determine. Here's a side view. It might actually be slightly forward, difficult to tell:

IMG_20200918_102918 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

Maybe for the purposes of balancing, but any cart. has only one optimal position in a headshell, determined by a protractor. Thinking of two complete opposites in stylus orientation, Koetsu and Lyra, for example, the K is going to be further forward because of its underslung cantilever & tip whereas Lyra's stylus sticks out in front (so much easier to set up and cue, too). Of course, other internal weight distribution factors may play a part, but any arm surely must accommodate a cart. weight of <10 g.

Just a thought, but as mm cart's tend to be lighter than coils, maybe the Nima is a very low medium mass arm, thus usually unsuited to many moving coils. just guesswork, as I haven't checked.

advertisement

Back