advertisement

iPhone 8 won't turn on

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
My daughter's phone turned off whilst in her bag at school and now won't turn on either when charging or not. I say charging but connecting it with either of two known to be working chargers there's no indication on the screen that it is charging.

I've tried cleaning out the charger socket and some fluff did come out but still no joy, and a hard reset hasn't helped either. Any suggestions to try and kick it back into life?

It's never been backed up to a Mac (I know, I did ask her to but it never happened), though I think judging by the notifications from Apple to upgrade storage it is being backed up to Apple's servers. Hoping that means she won't lose anything if it needs wiping, but also hoping it won't need it.

What's the deal if this goes to Apple to be repaired? Is it covered in some way by the 6 year warranty (wrong word maybe but the ruling I've seen mentioned on here somewhere)? It was bought second hand though if this changes anything.

Thanks for any help folks. She's very careful with it so it hasn't been intentionally abused but she's a bit upset, bless her.

My daughter's phone turned off whilst in her bag at school and now won't turn on either when charging or not. I say charging but connecting it with either of two known to be working chargers there's no indication on the screen that it is charging.

I've tried cleaning out the charger socket and some fluff did come out but still no joy, and a hard reset hasn't helped either. Any suggestions to try and kick it back into life?

It's never been backed up to a Mac (I know, I did ask her to but it never happened), though I think judging by the notifications from Apple to upgrade storage it is being backed up to Apple's servers. Hoping that means she won't lose anything if it needs wiping, but also hoping it won't need it.

What's the deal if this goes to Apple to be repaired? Is it covered in some way by the 6 year warranty (wrong word maybe but the ruling I've seen mentioned on here somewhere)? It was bought second hand though if this changes anything.

Thanks for any help folks. She's very careful with it so it hasn't been intentionally abused but she's a bit upset, bless her.
There is lots of info online on how to revive a bricked iphone. There are long key press combinations with and without itunes connection. I think I revived my old iPhone 6 that way years ago.

Apple store can do this for you as well. It will wake up for sure - but you have to move quickly before your daughter goes into social media withdrawal - like my 17 year old did when she left her phone in an Uber.

Careful of hard resets. I did one to 'rescue' the wifes phone. Thought I did great - until we found all the data wiped. I even paid for a police level 'recovery' service - nope! no data. Wife is still cross, several years later. A subject to be tiptoed and avoided!

Less dangerous if there is genuine Apple backup - is there a Apple account you can log into from a PC - you can view all the pictures and stuff on there.

Apple store most likely to help - IPhones can be revived and the NFC facility is used for diagnostics - very clever when you see it action with a guru.

Hi @deebster,

My GFs iPhone behaved the exact same way and it turned out that her charging cord had packed it in. Basically, she put it on the charger over night, as per usual, only it continued to slowly drain away rather than charge. She went off with it the next day without having used it, and by the time she tried to it was flat. We tried another charger first, before realizing that the Lightening to USB cable was a common link that hadn't been tested; so we borrowed one from the neighbours and the phone sprang into life. Apple replaced the cord FOC despite her iPhone being well out of warranty.

Might be a long shot in your daughter's case, but worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Careful of hard resets. I did one to 'rescue' the wifes phone. Thought I did great - until we found all the data wiped. I even paid for a police level 'recovery' service - nope! no data. Wife is still cross, several years later. A subject to be tiptoed and avoided!

Less dangerous if there is genuine Apple backup - is there a Apple account you can log into from a PC - you can view all the pictures and stuff on there.

Apple store most likely to help - IPhones can be revived and the NFC facility is used for diagnostics - very clever when you see it action with a guru.
I can confirm I also lost data through a hard reset.

Make sure the iPhone has some battery charge and if it won't come back to life, try a reset:

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If above does not work, try plugging the iPhone into a computer with iTunes and see if it comes back to life that way.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

My best guess is that the charging socket on the iPhone is damaged. Have you tried using a wireless charger? Do any of your daughter's friends have one she could try it on? They are relatively cheap to buy and save a lot of wear on the socket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seneo-Wireless-Charging-Charger-iPhone-Black/dp/B08D6KWG16/ref=sr_1_4_mod_primary_lightning_deal?dchild=1&keywords=iphone+8+plus+wireless+charger&qid=1600238256&sbo=Tc8eqSFhUl4VwMzbE4fw/w==&smid=A3C1THZ349E1AM&sr=8-4 or you could try a local phone repair shop or Apple Store for a diagnosis. If the battery is totally flat you may not get an immediate response from a wireless charger, leave it on there for at least an hour.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This can happen when the battery dies. Take it to a local phone repair shop. If they are any good they'll immediately check that the phone is drawing current. At that point it'll be a new battery (cheap) or in the worst case a new mobo.

Cheers,

DV

This can happen when the battery dies. Take it to a local phone repair shop. If they are any good they'll immediately check that the phone is drawing current. At that point it'll be a new battery (cheap) or in the worst case a new mobo.

Cheers,

DV

Please consider that if you let a 3rd party repairer into the iPhone, Apple will not undertake any repairs on it later down the line.

Exactly the same happened to my iPad 2.
It was the charging socket - damaged.
Beyond repair.
Had to trade it in for a new one.

Please consider that if you let a 3rd party repairer into the iPhone, Apple will not undertake any repairs on it later down the line.
It costs nothing for the shop to plug the phone in and determine if its drawing current. You then decide if you'll go to a distant and expensive Apple store or use a good local repair shop. I go local all the time for about a third of the cost and just 3 miles away rather than the longer 20 mile journey and trouble finding multi-story parking in a large city and half a day or more of my time.

As ever yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks all, some good tips there.

That wireless charger is so cheap I'll probably get one anyway, but will see if we can scrounge one in the meantime.

When she's back from school (I think she took it with her to ask her IT teacher to have a look) I'll try hooking it up to a Mac, but I wonder if my youngest Mac being 10 years old and on 10.12.6 (I think) means it won't play well with a later phone that demands a younger OS X. I'll let you know. And of course, logging into the Apple account from a Mac will show what's backed up there. I used to be good at this sort of thing.

One thing I didn't mention last night is that when it was plugged in to the charger if I held the phone up to my ear there was a high-pitched whine coming from it. It was very near the telly though and reduced as I moved it away. A quick search said that can be the cause of some noise but could it also be a symptom of the issue, whatever it is?

Well, connecting to a Mac was fruitless, then after a few days her IT teacher brought in his wireless charger, but that didn't help either. No response and a black phone screen in both cases.

She's been on to Apple and got an appointment at the shop tomorrow for them to look at it.

It's back from the shop and the news is not good. They say the logic board is dead and there is nothing they can do.

This is coming up to 3 years old and looks as new. I have no reason to believe it's been abused by the original owner or my daughter so to me that's a failure to last a reasonable length of time.

In my experience they look up law and decide there and then what it falls under, aside from the time I mashed my own mac mini logic board, they have always fixed something outside of my control. Most unusual.

"The primary responsibility to provide a remedy is on the seller, which would be Apple if the goods were purchased from the Apple Online Store or an Apple Retail Store. If the goods were purchased from a third party reseller of Apple products, the primary responsibility to provide a remedy will lie with the reseller. For goods purchased in England or Wales, these rights expire six years from delivery of the goods."

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I guess Apple has a get-out-of-jail card.

Cheers,

DV

Hang on.

Original owner?

So: someone else owned it before your daughter had it. Unknown history there.
Daughter keeps it in her bag, so likely to be bounced off doors/furniture/floor any number of times.

"The primary responsibility to provide a remedy is on the seller, which would be Apple if the goods were purchased from the Apple Online Store or an Apple Retail Store. If the goods were purchased from a third party reseller of Apple products, the primary responsibility to provide a remedy will lie with the reseller. For goods purchased in England or Wales, these rights expire six years from delivery of the goods."

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I guess Apple has a get-out-of-jail card.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks DV. It was worth a try but I guess I'm screwed now.

advertisement

Back