advertisement

Whatever happened to the Rega Planet Turntables?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
Having seen a picture of one of these quirky beasts, I've fallen in love and been on the hunt for one - and sadly, it's proved fruitless to day. If anyone knows of one for sale, please point me in the right direction?

Rega Planet turntable history/folklore...
  • Produced from circa 1973 - 1975
  • Originally billed as 'Acos-Rega Turntable'; no 'Planet' designation.
  • Had both Acos and Rega branding, with the Acos logo above 'Rega' on the plinth front RH corner. Branding later changed to 'Rega Planet' printed side by side, then finally changed to 'Rega' with 'Planet' below.
  • Closest equivalent Acos-Lustre tonearm was model GST-1 'Sound Tracer', but with simplified single hole mounting, lacking both the 'One Touch' height adjust and sliding overhang facilities. Initially, 'Acos' and 'Lustre' branding on the headshell, later simply 'Lustre'.
  • Initially, no label on the dustcover of Acos-Rega decks, later the usual 'Rega, Rega, Rega' inlaid badge on the covers that came with 'Rega Planet'.
  • Initially sold in North America as 'Audio Retroflex LT-76'; rumour has it that this was an early example of Rega making OEM turntable product and 'Audio Retroflex' was a made up brand of the first importer/distributor of Rega product. The LT-76 typically had 'Rega, Rega, Rega' badged dustcovers and Rega labelling the underside of the plinths.
  • Prospective buyers should be aware that the belt is slightly longer than that of Planar 2 and beyond. IIANM, Rega still supply replacement belts on request.
3QLtqK9Mk4GJBemPr2sZNXzqf9Ju6hydIMdbe6wSBGaqUA1O-Uv5YyTaQ6-uXiTwyvaSC3XNYuS4O077Q6wSONMtc1qwHOHw-O_9JwfjxCT2saQBS45yK5UkzGLtaMXv3h0_ujY

Last edited:
Yes, it's unique ‘tri-lateral equiponderous turntable’ was claimed to absorb record warps above and below the optimum horizontal tracking point. :rolleyes:

Nothing at all to do with Rega, other than blatant theft of the Planet look, certainly not of its substance.

There was a remarkably cool white Planet on eBay a year or two ago, I linked to it in the eBay auctions room, but the pictures will likely have gone by now.

There was a remarkably cool white Planet on eBay a year or two ago, I linked to it in the eBay auctions room, but the pictures will likely have gone by now.
I've never been entirely convinced that that one left the factory with a white plinth, Tony. There appears to be some paint off round the power switch. Perhaps a makeover, or maybe the switch required replacing which involves a prise out of the old? The dust cover is certainly a more recent example. If there were a higher resolution picture with the dust cover up/off, it would interesting to have a closer inspection of the logos.

17cf70ed075196f93aa9bf2a2fbd38ef.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been entirely convinced that that one left the factory with a white plinth, Tony. There appears to be some paint off round the power switch. Perhaps a makeover, or maybe the switch required replacing which involves a prise out of the old? The dust cover is certainly a more recent example. If there were a higher resolution picture with the dust cover up/off, it would interesting to have a closer inspection of the logos.

17cf70ed075196f93aa9bf2a2fbd38ef.jpg

If it's not factory then someone went to a lot of trouble to replicate the Acos Rega logos.

Wow, that Rega Planet platter could be from the Planet of Triskelion!

Joe
Triskelion
noun
Description
a Celtic symbol consisting of three legs or lines radiating from a centre.
A triskelion or triskeles is a motif consisting of a triple spiral exhibiting rotational symmetry. The spiral design can be based on interlocking Archimedean spirals, or represent three bent human legs.
Aye, we'll be having to enter the planet in a dual against some stiff schiit equipped with pro-jectiles, aros, 'n such like.

Or, perhaps, a nice pair of silver lamé clad orbes and a pointy stick?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back