advertisement

Concorde Jet Engine For Sale

I mean Bezos allegedly has one of the Apollo era F-1 rocket engines from a Saturn V he recovered from the ocean at enormous expense (he donated the others to museums) hanging in his office!

One hell of an office - an F1 is over 18 feet long and over 12 feet in diameter.

Collection Only - Delivery can be negotiated at buyer's cost to UK mainland

do you think UPS would take it :):):)

Not any more - RR stopped repair/overhaul and spares supply about 6 years ago. Anything still being used will be relying on third party spares, which for terrestrial engines is not a huge risk.

The EXTREMELY ancient naval ships still fitted with them were offered a deal on RR marine Spey ex RN stocks. By then there were only 3(?) navies still using them anyway - Pakistan, Royal Hellenic and one other if memory serves.

Many are still in use. An acquaintance works on them in RN but it was about 4-5 years ago I last saw him. Loads are still in use for electricity generation back up use... 300 maybe... Not that its important.

You're just trying to make me feel old as I've served on ships that had Speys!

Speys are still in production in Japan, and still being serviced. With so many RN ships having been decommissioned there were many in RN stores, so RN and RR looked to try to shift them.

The last ship fitted with Olympus engines in the RN must have been many years ago, they were superseded by the Tyne and then the Spey, and the Tyne is ancient and no longer in service with RN.

Today, the choice is very often the MT30, a marinised Trent 800 (which in aircraft use sold almost none, although two are famously at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, somewhere). Even the US navy uses MT30 where that size of engine is needed.

One hell of an office - an F1 is over 18 feet long and over 12 feet in diameter.
I mean with a net worth fast approaching $190Bn I’d have a hollowed out volcano and Sharks with frickin’ laser beams!
imagev1bdd138dbfae9023bcb2d80ed0d263f2f-d5gollmgogb3jx6y1q2_t1880.jpg

There used to be four of them in the old Pembroke 600 MW oil fired power station, used for starting up.
Half the county shook when they ran

Sort of surprised - I have been within 100 yards or so of umpteen Olympus engines run on the test beds at Ansty (near Coventry) and you never really noticed much, apart from the smell of kerosene. You should have seen the state of the test beds!!!! They were brick-built and FAR from sophisticated - they should be very easy to see on Google Earth.

Compare with Test Bed 80 now being finished kitting-out in Derby - £90M

Today, the choice is very often the MT30, a marinised Trent 800 (which in aircraft use sold almost none, although two are famously at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, somewhere). Even the US navy uses MT30 where that size of engine is needed.
IIRC the big problem with the Trent 800 was with the front fan? Which would make sense as a marine application wouldn’t use that bit so, faced with some otherwise redundant engine cores, I guess that was a bit of a lifeline for RR.

IIRC the big problem with the Trent 800 was with the front fan? Which would make sense as a marine application wouldn’t use that bit so, faced with some otherwise redundant engine cores, I guess that was a bit of a lifeline for RR.

The only problem with the T800 was that Boeing signed an exclusivity deal with GE.

I can't remember what the time is from start to finish of an engine is now, but probably about a week/ten days. There will have been no redundant parts in the sense that you mean, they would just have become spares for the few that were sold.
It will probably come to nought but there was a rumour about re-engining the Antanov with T800s

You may be thinking of the RB211, which Trent engines are all iterations of, and which caused the bankruptcy of RR. That was meant to have composite fan blades, which have only in the past very few years became a manufacturing fact, so the RB211 was about 40-50 years too early.

The major problem with composite fan blades is what should not happen after bird strike or foreign body ingestion...... That has only just been mastered, first by GE, now by RR.

Sort of surprised - I have been within 100 yards or so of umpteen Olympus engines run on the test beds at Ansty (near Coventry) and you never really noticed much, apart from the smell of kerosene. You should have seen the state of the test beds!!!! They were brick-built and FAR from sophisticated - they should be very easy to see on Google Earth.

I think the Manufacturing Technology Centre is built on that part of the site.

The only problem with the T800 was that Boeing signed an exclusivity deal with GE.

I can't remember what the time is from start to finish of an engine is now, but probably about a week/ten days. There will have been no redundant parts in the sense that you mean, they would just have become spares for the few that were sold.
It will probably come to nought but there was a rumour about re-engining the Antanov with T800s

You may be thinking of the RB211, which Trent engines are all iterations of, and which caused the bankruptcy of RR. That was meant to have composite fan blades, which have only in the past very few years became a manufacturing fact, so the RB211 was about 40-50 years too early.

The major problem with composite fan blades is what should not happen after bird strike or foreign body ingestion...... That has only just been mastered, first by GE, now by RR.
Fair point about the parts. I suppose, then, that RR were just glad to get a commercial return from the IP in the engine’s development.

I thought I vaguely remembered something about the big Trent’s main fan being tricky, either due to its unprecedented size, or the single crystal casting process, or something, but I maybe mis-remembering that. I well recall the original RB211 issues, and the ‘toothbrushing’ on the ends of the blades, not to mention the bird strike issues.

There used to be four of them in the old Pembroke 600 MW oil fired power station, used for starting up.
Half the county shook when they ran

IIRC, Drax has several as well to start up the main engines and act as extra capacity if required.

advertisement

Back