advertisement

Decent builders in Hertfordshire

Rodrat

pfm Member
Struggling to get quotations for an extension for some reason despite initial enthusiasm and then either not getting back to us or needing to be chased and then saying they have too much work on. Would like word of mouth recommendations. Not a huge job but in the tens of thousands.

a friend of mine in St Albans had an extension done a year or two ago. happy to ask him who did the work and whether he was happy if you wish.

Quite possibly the norm - reluctant to quote etc. I was amazed to learn that all building materials, especially cement and plaster at least, were, if not still, in very short supply. Even if the materials are available again, builders and the like will be way behind and snowed-under with work.

yes , up here in the midlands there is huge demand , met with a door fitter business chap yesterday and he was telling me how business has exploded after lockdown . folks not spending ££££££ on holidays so lets do some home improvements

and yes plaster is still short i think and prices risen hugely , got 2 double glazing projects on the go and prices have risen a fair bit

Have you engaged with an architect and have drawings? Without that the builder won't know what is required. The architect will also have a list of builders that have been used in the past. and understand and lead you through the processes that you have to go through.

Assuming that you want a finished extension and not just a shell then work on 2 to 3K per sqm. That'll at least give you a ball park. Oh and you'll pay VAT on top!

Cheers,

DV

Yes all the drawings, plans etc done. Architect recommended a builder who then promptly moved away from the area. Pedro that would be helpful.

I am in a similar situation. Several 'builders' of various repute have been to look at my job(s). No they are not the brown and smelly ones.

But clearly they are not jobs that they want and none have come back with a quote. At dinner table conversations with guests - all reckon that builders are super busy at present and can be super picky about the work they take on. One other carpenter posted on local Facebook that he is fully booked up through January.

Struggling to get quotations for an extension for some reason despite initial enthusiasm and then either not getting back to us or needing to be chased and then saying they have too much work on. Would like word of mouth recommendations. Not a huge job but in the tens of thousands.

Where in herts? We really struggled to get trades out of their very small catchment in herts. We had a great plumber/bathroom guy, but we struggle to get him to come 12 miles south to us.

advertisement

Back