advertisement

Rega P8 w/ Exact combo

My suspicion is that a Planar 8 would work better with / deserves something higher spec than an Exact. I had one on an RP6, which was fine, but think the Planar 8 really needs an MC, if your phono will allow.

I think you need at least an Ania/Fono MC, better an Apheta 1/Fono MC, still better an Apheta 2/Aria.

It’ll work, and it will sound good, but as others above have said, a decent MC will do the deck more justice, the package deals on the Ania and Apheta are pretty good with the P8 (assuming you’re buying the deck new), if not, the Ortofon Quintet Blue (or above) will spank the Exakt, although you will need a VTA shim (no big deal).

I prefered an AT 33EV to the Ania on my P8 when I home demo'd it. Perhaps the Ania wasn't run in, or the loading wasn't ideal, but it sounded a bit too strident in my system - good in all other areas though.

I'm now using the 33PTG which is better still IMO, and a great match with the P8/RB 880

I have tried a LOT of different cartridges on my RP10, which I gather is broadly on a par with the P8. I had hoped that the deck would let me run a cheaper cartridge while still giving me the sound quality of a MC on my LP12. The short answer is that it does....but..

These decks are so darn revealing that you know about everything the cart is missing. The result is that your little MM cart will perform better than you ever thought was possible but you'll hear the shortcomings that would be conveniently masked by a less transparent deck.

I have tried a LOT of different cartridges on my RP10, which I gather is broadly on a par with the P8. I had hoped that the deck would let me run a cheaper cartridge while still giving me the sound quality of a MC on my LP12. The short answer is that it does....but..

These decks are so darn revealing that you know about everything the cart is missing. The result is that your little MM cart will perform better than you ever thought was possible but you'll hear the shortcomings that would be conveniently masked by a less transparent deck.

Still not happy with the Rega?

Thanks all, I’m gonna try and find a used one just to satisfy my own ears currently running a P8 w/Ania Pro fed by the Aria, I do remember reading somewhere the P9 owners loving the Exact

I had a P9 with an Exact and while absolutely fine, it was night and day better when I put a DV 17D2 on it (this was 10 years or so ago, the DV cart has upgraded since then). I suspect the Ania should be much better.

Thanks all, I’m gonna try and find a used one just to satisfy my own ears currently running a P8 w/Ania Pro fed by the Aria, I do remember reading somewhere the P9 owners loving the Exact

I don’t think the Exact would be better than your ANIA pro.

Only because I want to hear for myself the difference between an MM cart and MC cart on a P8 is all

The first time I dem'd a P9 was with an Exact, and much as I had high regard for the latter on P3s, it wasn't until I heard a P9 with a 17D2 that I decided to replace my LP12 with one.

That was a long time ago though.

P9 owners don't, as a rule "love" the Exact, because the P9 is worthy of a much better (and more £) cart.

Only because I want to hear for myself the difference between an MM cart and MC cart on a P8 is all
I have a P6 on an Ania with an aria set up and am considering a P8 but not sure I am loving the Ania. I find compared to the exact I had on my p3-24 it can at times sound strident and I do notice some IGD and distortion on some records. Also surface noise seems to be more prevalent with the Ania than the exact. Not sure how the Ania pro compares since I have never read one but am curious.

I have an Exact on my P3, it sounds good. Between lockdowns I had demos of the P8 with both Ania and Ania Pro cartridges and the sound and detail retrieval were just out of this world by comparison with my P3/Exact!

advertisement

Back