advertisement

Nytech CTA 252 XD series II Advice - Please be gentle, i'm a 'newbie'!

Hi folks,

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Nytech CTA 252 XD series II purchased off that well-known auction site, all I know about it is that the dials illuminate, i've gambled on it working.
It looks quite rough, mainly caked in dust and all the sliders are missing (I know 3D printed replacements are available from Nytech), I just need to know how to open it up to clean out the internal dust that it will have no doubt accumulated over the years, could you kind and knowledgeable folk off some advice please?

I owned a mint 252 in the late 80's - early nineties, and bitterly regret selling it.
Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Hello,

I have a Nytech CTA 252 that I is currently getting serviced and recapped. I can pass on the details of the person who is doing mine, he is excellent. The volume pot is prone to failing 45mm 25k slider, the 25k is not available so you may have to replace with a 10k pot, but otherwise all very serviceable.

Regards, Devraj

Hello,

I have a Nytech CTA 252 that I is currently getting serviced and recapped. I can pass on the details of the person who is doing mine, he is excellent. The volume pot is prone to failing 45mm 25k slider, the 25k is not available so you may have to replace with a 10k pot, but otherwise all very serviceable.

Regards, Devraj

Hi Devraj,
Many thanks. I'm no electronics wizard, so if the 252 is shot then I will contact Nytech here in the UK for a quote, or anyone else who is competent to carry out a repair or service.
If it is going to be too expensive then I will put it back on that auction site.

Best regards
George

The CTA 252 has finally arrived, I connect up an aerial and plugged it into the mains, plugged in a set of cans (I don't own any speakers or a record deck....Yet!)
The volume is virtually none existent. Cranked up to full volume I can barely get a whisper out of it, all the dials illuminate and seem to work, but almost zero volume.
I know Nytech can service and repair these, but can anyone recommend any other service engineer UK based? preferably in the North West of England?

The CTA 252 has finally arrived, I connect up an aerial and plugged it into the mains, plugged in a set of cans (I don't own any speakers or a record deck....Yet!)
The volume is virtually none existent. Cranked up to full volume I can barely get a whisper out of it, all the dials illuminate and seem to work, but almost zero volume.
I know Nytech can service and repair these, but can anyone recommend any other service engineer UK based? preferably in the North West of England?

How about Jez at Arkless Electronics?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/members/arkless-electronics.16103/

To get into a cta , make a note of where all the buttons go then pull them off ,turn it over and remove the 4 screws to remove the plastic base,remove the 4 corner screws and turn it back upright and lift the whole cover off in one. has it got the linking din plug fitted and are all the buttons in the correct positions? no din plug no sound.

As mentioned before have you got the link plug in the pre/power socket? Although if you’re only using earphones I don’t know if this would matter - not sure if the headphone socket(s) are driven by the power amps or if there’s a separate headphone amplifier and if so whether it’s (internally) before or after the link plug socket.
Opening one up fully for the first time is “interesting”. Although if you just want the top & bottom covers off to blow out the dust that won’t be too hard. Just be careful putting it back together as (especially) the top cover can be brittle and not line up immediately.
Make sure the tape button isn’t depressed and iirc (so long as the link plug is fitted if it is needed) if you’ve got FM pressed it should make noise through headphones if it’s going to - and similarly if loudspeakers are connected to “direct” they should also make noise.
I don’t think there’s anything else that would stop you hearing sound if it works.
Definitely best off sending it to Nytech if you’re going to have anyone work on it

You can see the link plug on the rear of the other Nytech 252’s that sold recently. It’s basically a 5 pin din plug with two sets of pins soldered together to link the pre and power amp stage together. Check it’s not in the box or packing the unit was sent in. If not you can buy one and solder it yourself.

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for your helpful replies, I sussed out how to open the Nytech after I tried it out, very straightforward procedure.
No DIN plug with it, I don't remember my original "%" having one when I owned it back in the late 80's - early 90's?.....But that was a long time ago!
So where do I get a suitable plug from? eBay maybe?
I assume the plug needs soldering according to the illustration on the rear of the 252? i.e. left input to left output, right input to right output?

Many thanks again folks.

Does anyone know for certain whether the headphone output actually needs the link plug installed in order to power headphones? I accept that the loudspeaker outputs won’t work without it but not convinced the same is necessarily true for headphones.
I think the link plug din pin outs are illustrated on the big Nytech thread in this section of this forum. Some bent bits of wire inserted between the appropriate holes on the din socket will suffice as a temporary measure just to prove functionality.

Are the function of the individual pins not described in a label next to the socket on the back of the amp? Just link left pre out to left amp in and right pre out to right amp in with short bits of wire.

Does anyone know for certain whether the headphone output actually needs the link plug installed in order to power headphones? I accept that the loudspeaker outputs won’t work without it but not convinced the same is necessarily true for headphones.
I think the link plug din pin outs are illustrated on the big Nytech thread in this section of this forum. Some bent bits of wire inserted between the appropriate holes on the din socket will suffice as a temporary measure just to prove functionality.
Yes it does Jimmy! I only got home a short while ago but earlier today I decided that I would simply connect the DIN socket with some 30 amp fuse wire as a temporary measure.
So i wired the DIN socket up, connected the cans and I was greeted by Kelly Marie belting out 'It feels like i'm in love'.....It left me feeling quite nauseous!
Tuned in to a decent station and experienced some great audio nostalgia.

Next job is to purchase a DIN plug and get the soldering iron out, i'll order one off the 'bay of evil', in the meantime i'll finish off the cleaning and cosmetic work.

Thanks ever so much for your advice guys.

Certainly check with Nytech for a plug soldered and ready to go or you could remove one from an existing lead if you have it.
If buying one yourself you’re looking for a 180 degree 5 pin din plug

Certainly check with Nytech for a plug soldered and ready to go or you could remove one from an existing lead if you have it.
I believe Nytech supply a readymade din connecting plug at a fair price.

Thanks guys, I ordered a DIN plug off the 'bay last night.
To my dismay, the 252 is fitted with a MC1 150uV phono card.
I was hoping it had a MM card fitted.

Worth advertising the mc1 board on here as someone may be interested and have a mm card already.

Thanks for your advice, i'll try and get some photo's up over the next few days.
Nope....I can't do that, not got sufficient posts, or been a member long enough.
Not a problem, i'll leave it for now.

advertisement

Back