advertisement

Common sense from The Audiophiliac.

If Steve Guttenberg and his superficial entertainment drivel satisfies your personal standards, then seeking help here is futile.

You have a point. I do like him and his perspective but you watch his videos waiting for a bit of true insight or depth and it never arrives. His vids are great for people who don't know much about Hi-Fi already.

Steve’s review of the Loki convinced me to buy one.

Funny how we change. Twenty years ago the mere thought of a Loki in my system would have been anathema.

Joe

P.S. My iPod wanted to change that to an enema. I was of two minds on whether to let the device win or to persist. I persisted but to be honest I think the iPod has a point.

I think some are a little harsh on SG. It is an entertainment. He appears honest and music driven. I like the fact that it’s an easy positive watch, not like some of the pretentious, and frankly tedious, drivel on other YouTube channels and some hifi mags. And he doesn’t appear to be driven my marketing or others views. He also loves LRSs as I do.That means he’s OK by me.
Not sure about his shirts though.

I think some are a little harsh on SG. It is an entertainment. He appears honest and music driven. I like the fact that it’s an easy positive watch, not like some of the pretentious, and frankly tedious, drivel on other YouTube channels and some hifi mags. And he doesn’t appear to be driven my marketing or others views. He also loves LRSs as I do.That means he’s OK by me.
Not sure about his shirts though.
I agree. He’s just voicing his opinion and, as you say, puts his enjoyment of music as his top priority. I really enjoyed him speaking about his enjoyment of listening to Led Zeppelin. I haven’t heard any other video reviewer speak like that. You may not take a shine to him or agree with him but fair play to him. Shirts, like kit, each to their own ;)

SG comes across as a genuine music lover and a bit of a Hifi fanatic, nothing wrong with either, I guess his YouTube channel is just another way for him to earn, nothing wrong with that either, a bit like everything else on YouTube or TV, if you don't like it turn it off or turn it over, I'm sure there's nobody holding a gun to your head to make you watch it.

Steve also comes across as a decent human being, especially in his tribute to Art Dudley.

Joe

I'm a big fan of Guttenburg, really enjoy his take on Hifi matters and his reviews. This video is.... not his strongest..... But I would urge anyone to take a look at his back catalogue on Youtube.

Well it’s great just to have a bit of distracting and entertaining audiophile fun that we can all relate to in these serious times

I agree. He’s just voicing his opinion and, as you say, puts his enjoyment of music as his top priority. I really enjoyed him speaking about his enjoyment of listening to Led Zeppelin. I haven’t heard any other video reviewer speak like that. You may not take a shine to him or agree with him but fair play to him. Shirts, like kit, each to their own ;)
Sincerity and passion get you a long way. I find him genuine and he enthuses.

As other have said, he's got an honesty about him. Probably not the most exciting person to go to the pub with though...

I would go further and say that a 'better' system can actually be counterproductive. It can, for a variety of reason, make you enjoy your music less.

That's not been my experience at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Maybe that's just me.

I think a Rega io paired with a Schiit Modi 3 DAC would be a superb setup. If that combination had been available when I bought my PS Audio Sprout100, I may have gone in that direction instead.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back