advertisement

Rega Planar 6 vs Planar 8

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear all,
in your opinion, is the difference between the two decks so much relevant to justify the upgrade?

thank you very much.
Mauro

Both could be end game decks imo. With Rega though it's about the engineering and what they achieve at different price points. Back in the day I went from Planar25 to P9 and have never regretted it.

P6/P8 with external motor PSU Bettered by a £700 project X1 & £800 technics SL1500C both with internal motor PSU
The numbers show the speed deviation as well as the maximum low pass filtered deviation relative and absolute. These are very good numbers and especially “well-balanced” in terms of plus and minus speeds. In fact, they are better than the more costly Rega P8’s
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/pro-jects-899-x1-best-under-1000-turntable-package

P6/P8 Bettered by a £700 project X1..

Bettered on paper? Big deal. I've seen, used and repaired quite a few ProJect turntables and I wouldn't buy one for my own use. I'm reluctant to sell them to other people these days as I feel bad about it. I strongly dislike the way ProJect build their turntables. They might dress things up to look trick but underneath the built quality can be shocking. They typically employ the cheapest methods possible. I'd take a Rega over a ProJect every time.

The caveat would be that the Rega P1 is build down to a price and is not as well made as the rest of the Rega range. Still better built than the equivalent ProJect and sounds fantastic.

Bettered on paper? Big deal. I've seen, used and repaired quite a few ProJect turntables and I wouldn't buy one for my own use. I'm reluctant to sell them to other people these days as I feel bad about it. I strongly dislike the way ProJect build their turntables. They might dress things up to look trick but underneath the built quality can be shocking. They typically employ the cheapest methods possible. I'd take a Rega over a ProJect every time.

The caveat would be that the Rega P1 is build down to a price and is not as well made as the rest of the Rega range. Still better built than the equivalent ProJect and sounds fantastic.

Agree, I don't like Project turntable as well.

You can upgrade your RP6 with a groovetracer reference subplatter and limm double or triple pulley and bronze bearing hub. Maybe upgrade the plinth and install leveling feet from limm as well.

I can’t imagine the rega RP8 sub platter system to be better than the groovetracer.

You can upgrade your RP6 with a groovetracer reference subplatter and limm double or triple pulley and bronze bearing hub. Maybe upgrade the plinth and install leveling feet from limm as well.

I can’t imagine the rega RP8 sub platter system to be better than the groovetracer.

I don't have a RP6 but a Planar 6, and the subplatter is 100% solid metal, so is the subplatter of the Planar 8 (not RP8)

The Planar 6 is Rega's ultimate old style Planar and I don't think it will be revisited, skeletal is the future.

I don't know. I think the higher up the tree you climb the more likely it is that your buyer will be a dedicated audiophile who will put up with a bit of inconvenience for the sake of sound quality. People buying cheaper turntables, not so much. I think they're more likely to expect a lid and a proper plinth to hold it up.

Practical also. I've seen the amount of dust open turntables can collect. I deliberately sought out an RP10 rather than a P8 because it had a lid.

Even with the lid, the RP8 and RP10 still have a dust problem, they're still open underneath.

I had to laugh when Mull said in a separate thread that the back of his rack is a bit awkward To get to. If we think the bit of surface dust underneath a dust cover is an issue...

I have diary reminders to disassemble and put back the entire system every six months because of how much accumulates there and to work the connectors, same with the desktop computer both outside and inside. I owned several turntables through the years and you could never stop it but it wasn’t enough to worry about unless I was really lazy.

Having said all that I do have an RP10 and not P8/10 to reduce the dust!

If your going to commit hundreds or thousands of £££ for a record player you should be prepared to look after it and keep it clean, it only takes a minute or two with a make up brush and a micro fibre cloth. I've owned a few lidless turntables and never had an issue with dust, a square silk scarf draped gently over the TT keeps the vast majority dust free in between times. In practice I found the most difficult bit to actually keep clean is the lids that are found on Regas & Linn's, etc.

If your going to commit hundreds or thousands of £££ for a record player you should be prepared to look after it and keep it clean, it only takes a minute or two with a make up brush and a micro fibre cloth. I've owned a few lidless turntables and never had an issue with dust, a square silk scarf draped gently over the TT keeps the vast majority dust free in between times. In practice I found the most difficult bit to actually keep clean is the lids that are found on Regas & Linn's, etc.
I’m so fed up with lids going dull and getting scratched that I just leave them off and instead, dust the deck periodically. I’d have no issue with the current skeletal Rega models at all... in fact the lift off dust cover would probably live in the box too.

advertisement

Back