advertisement

Steak n potatoes

Affordable in its home country. I pay less than € 10, bit it tends to be more expensive in Paris or in the South.
Depends on your budget I guess - I'm near Troyes but consider it too expensive to buy on a regular basis.

Pure pfm - you start a Steak n Potatoes thread and it turns into a hangout for cheeseaters :eek:
Is that a Simpsons reference?

To try to swerve back on topic for you, I really like Morrisons Bavette steak (2x twin packs for £7.) As fierce a heat as possible, ninety seconds to three minutes a side depending on taste, thickness etc etc.

Steak.

Tastes better when rested for 10 minutes after cooking on a pre-warmed plate with a foil lid and a few tea-towels laid on top.

I also spread some butter on the steak before resting it.

Steak.

Tastes better when rested for 10 minutes after cooking on a pre-warmed plate with a foil lid and a few tea-towels laid on top.

I also spread some butter on the steak before resting it.
Same goes for any roasted meat. Indispensable step.

Is that a Simpsons reference?

To try to swerve back on topic for you, I really like Morrisons Bavette steak (2x twin packs for £7.) As fierce a heat as possible, ninety seconds to three minutes a side depending on taste, thickness etc etc.

Only ever seen one episode of Simpsons, made me laugh - "Beans beans the musical fruit the more you eat the more you toot"

Just to make you all jealous, I got 1.4kg of fillet tails for £11. These are are fantastic when oiled, salted and peppered then seared on a hot griddle. Rest then slice into 1cm slices are serve with parmentier potato’s. oh the joys of a local butchers in the village. I can easily take an 8oz fillet of each tail to cook separately. However, cooking it as a large lump is better in my opinion.

Live spot prawns boiled for 2 minutes served with a chili soy green onion dip. Very tasty. They're local round these parts, plentiful and cheaper than they have been for years due to lack of export to Asia because of Covid.

Spot-Prawns.jpg

Cooked-Spot-Prawns.jpg

Last edited:
Had a dinner party a while back where each couple cooked a course and brought a wine pairing. I went crazy with my appetizer of crab and scallop salad with sea urchin roe sauce (the brown stuff under the scallop) and a couple of kinds of fish roe. I bought live dungeness crabs, steamed them and picked the meat. Seared the live scallops. Live sea urchins too, which are always interesting to prepare. My rarely used truffle slicer came in handy for the radishes. By far the most fancy dish I’ve made. Needless to say, it took me bloody ages!

Scallops-2.png

Munster was my first (over 40 years ago)

Reading this thread gave me a craving for munster cheese. I used to work in Altrinchham where a deli sold it, and got a bit hooked. Randomly spent a night a night in the middle of munster in a campervan 15 years ago. Woke up to the sound of lots of church/carillon bells and the square was full of line dancers.

Anyway, steak is one of the things where my tastes differ from expert opinion. I like my steak cooked rare/blue, served straight from a very hot pan. I love it super crispy on the outside and nice & warm on the inside. When you rest it you lose some of the crispiness.

I've spent the last year in America and the beef here is pretty tasteless, only really good for mincing and making chili. Beef needs to be free range and eating grass.

For chips I peel, cut and steam the potatoes then let them completely cool before shaking them a little and deep frying them.

advertisement

Back