advertisement

Coffee machines

^ Matthewr for someone who professes to drink only pour over and know nothing about espresso you sure set a high bar.

So, do we go for another La Pav, with all its associated issues......or try something different like a highly rated Lelit Elizabeth......

if my LaSpaziale ever dies
The great thing about the mini Vivaldi is there are plenty of resources (videos and parts) available online to fix it. Purchased mine in December 2013 and it’s been on 24/7 (except holidays) since. The odd leak easily fixed with replacement parts, and a new gasket every once in a while. Still makes a great espresso/cappuccino. Paid for itself in not buying $$ espresso drinks out which can be quite variable.

The great thing about the mini Vivaldi is there are plenty of resources (videos and parts) available online to fix it. Purchased mine in December 2013 and it’s been on 24/7 (except holidays) since. The odd leak easily fixed with replacement parts, and a new gasket every once in a while. Still makes a great espresso/cappuccino. Paid for itself in not buying $$ espresso drinks out which can be quite variable.
Bought mine with the vibe pump August 2007 so was one of the first and like you its been on 24*7 except for holidays. Even my wife pulls her own shots but says that mine have more 'foam'. Only had one leak and that was an 'O' ring that needed replacing and for some reason the magnetic water-level float failed after 10 years and was replaced.

The machine is a solid performer unlike me who is now down to one weak eye and no 3D vision - its amazing how much more difficult simple jobs become and the arthritis in my hands doesn't help either. I have a packet of rubber gaskets that I bought years ago on the cheap and have most of them still waiting to be used.

I have an ESE pod adapter that has never been used. Bought it in case my wife wanted to continue with these pods rather than learning about grinding/dosing/tamping. I was wrong!

Cheers,

DV

lovely machine :D we wouldn't get enough use out of it. ACS Minima is a nice machine as well.

The Minima seems a sensible purchase for the home, probably best trade off between price. I got my Vesuvius off coffeeforums.co.uk direct from the factory. The price was really good as brand new they are just far too expensive. Paolo often sells one that are ex demo but tbh the one I got was brand new never used. I just couldn't refuse it. Great decision but now my daughter and sons are getting into coffee :rolleyes:. I made it too easy!

. I got my Vesuvius off coffeeforums.co.uk direct from the factory. The price was really good as brand new they are just far too expensive. Paolo often sells one that are ex demo but tbh the one I got was brand new never used. I just couldn't refuse it.

I saw that deal, it was very good. I got rid of my last espresso machine because of underuse (we got into pour over). But i am discovering I miss the ability to to make an espresso and the very occasional milk based drink.

I like the whole process of a LaPav, it is easy to use, but its temperature instability makes it a pain in ghe neck, and its reasonably inexpensive.

The Lelit Elizabeth is a dual boiler, solenoid group head with a PID and some pre-infusion wizardry. DaveC on the UK coffee forums reviewed it and it seems like it meets my needs.

Do you swirl or stir your crema though?

I enjoy James H’s usually very well-informed videos (which I discovered here at pfm), but he’s missing an essential point: the stirring of one’s espresso should be done slowly and with great intention, a kind of Italian version of the Japanese Tea Ceremony.

One can observe this ritual every morning in countless cafes throughout Italy, a brief yet sensual moment of no mind, fully experienced and appreciated, before drinking the espresso in just a few sips & continuing the busyness of the day.

(I know, I know, my second paragraph above could qualify for the old Pseud’s Corner in Private Eye - does it still exist - but the espresso ritual, standing at the bar, is Italian meditation in action...).

I’ve often read good reports on Jura machines, but my sister has two (cost around £2k each, I think) & I’ve never had a really good espresso shot out of either of them. The consistent mediocrity of my Nespresso Pro machine is sadly better ....
And when they go wrong, she could buy a brand new De Longhi BTC machine cheaper than the cost of a Jura repair. And get a better cup of coffee!

I saw that deal, it was very good. I got rid of my last espresso machine because of underuse (we got into pour over). But i am discovering I miss the ability to to make an espresso and the very occasional milk based drink.

I like the whole process of a LaPav, it is easy to use, but its temperature instability makes it a pain in ghe neck, and its reasonably inexpensive.

The Lelit Elizabeth is a dual boiler, solenoid group head with a PID and some pre-infusion wizardry. DaveC on the UK coffee forums reviewed it and it seems like it meets my needs.

DaveC is the God over there. The Lelit Bianca was another one he reviewed it has a paddle. In reality dual boiler PID and bit of pre-infusion is the biz for 99.9%. After that it starts getting crazy. My first foray was a Classic and Rocky. Then I got a really nice basic Bezzera Unica single boiler with PID. It was messy for milk but it worked. TBH for most people at the £500 I spent on it at the time is a perfect machine for good home use. I toyed with Quickmill Verona and all the other similar models from Italian makers.

A friend has the LaPav and loves all the messing around. Also the fact it costs only a few euro any time it breaks.

Got a Sage Barista Pro and happy so far. It's not a complete bean to cup but has a built-in grinder and compared to my old method with the Gaggia saves a lot of time. Makes better coffee too. My only reservation is how long the thing will last but we'll see!

Tim

Have done a Barista course if I was buying a coffee machine this would be top of my list. My daughter bought one who is also barista trained its a great peace of kit.Sage Barista Express.
81sKB3h-S0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DaveC is the God over there.
well, he used to be but I get the impression it was taken over by a small number of self serving people in practise, I gave up with that forum over a year ago. Dave is the smartest person I know and genuinely respected by various companies and isn’t intimidated nor out of his depth on any topic. His videos are deliberately unpolished and single take, he hates edited videos and dishonesty and his a forensic ability to cut through things and see the motivation behind why people or companies present things the way they do. I’ve known him for about 15 years now and never stop learning. I think he has resurrected his own forum but I can’t remember my log in details.

I have a Vesuvius too, a niche zero, an E37s tucked away in its box, a Dalian Amazon, an Osmio zero, softened water and join in bulk coffee buys from to time which is where my greens come from. And with much knowledge from Dave I mostly maintain things and only pester him occasionally these days with problems!

well, he used to be but I get the impression it was taken over by a small number of self serving people in practise, I gave up with that forum over a year ago. Dave is the smartest person I know and genuinely respected by various companies and isn’t intimidated nor out of his depth on any topic. His videos are deliberately unpolished and single take, he hates edited videos and dishonesty and his a forensic ability to cut through things and see the motivation behind why people or companies present things the way they do. I’ve known him for about 15 years now and never stop learning. I think he has resurrected his own forum but I can’t remember my log in details.

I have a Vesuvius too, a niche zero, an E37s tucked away in its box, a Dalian Amazon, an Osmio zero, softened water and join in bulk coffee buys from to time which is where my greens come from. And with much knowledge from Dave I mostly maintain things and only pester him occasionally these days with problems!

I would like to find a Dalian under my Xmas tree but one can only dream :D. I hear what you are saying re that forum and I can see a lot of what you outline. I just stay on the edges and look for advice when needed. His forum I think you are referring to is the tapatalk one possible for the Vesuvius? or it could be wiki thing he set up. Will dig it up. Yes everything you say about him is very true. I have found him to be very helpful when I had some small issues. Thankfully touchwood the Vesuvius is giving me no hassle.

Forgot to mention! I got a Niche last week. Great little machine, love the design and such low retention. Will probably keep my old Mazzer Major. It is converted to doserless and I use a small mini hopper on it.

How expensive are the group buys for coffee? I am guessing you need to buy in large quantities?

advertisement

Back