advertisement

Falcon IMF 100

Given it creates a market for their drivers I’d be surprised if the TLS80 doesn’t make an appearance though it’s a lot of cabinet to put together.

Temptation to click on add to basket is high.............
Would be interested in comments from an actual owner.

The Stereonet review is interesting, well worth reading with close up photos, but I don’t think Falcon will be available to actually deliver until the end of this month. It’ll be interesting to see what transpires with other, if any, IMF type designs.

Let’s hope someone here orders a pair.

I expect the intricacy of the cabinetry required for a full TL like the TLS80 or RSPM will add thousands to the price...

I would dearly love to hear a pair of these at home but being something of a tight Northerner, after costing out, I couldn't justify paying a grand for the cabinets. I know development costs etc. are included but a grand for some plywood seems a lot.

I know this little woofer works very well in a small sealed enclosure but does someone know if they also work well in this large and half porter cabinet ?
Some woofers need a bit of air restriction to give a good midrange so would it be the situation here ?

I know this little woofer works very well in a small sealed enclosure but does someone know if they also work well in this large and half porter cabinet ?
Some woofers need a bit of air restriction to give a good midrange so would it be the situation here ?

Back in the 1970s I did a ported enclosure for the B110 that worked quite well. I think it was about 14 liters. It required a lot less baffle step (we called it diffraction compensation then...) than an LS3/5A to get a pleasing balance out of it. I don't remember what became of those boxes, or those B110s.

They were my initial thoughts when I saw the IMF 100, although I think Malcom Jones did some reflex designs in the Falcon kit series using B110s in the 80s. May be worth a bit of research, perhaps Martyn M will remember or have the relevant info.

I don’t recall any Falcon/Malcom Jones reflex designs with the B110.
There were some with 200mm/8 inch bass/mids.
They were Audax drivers if I remember correctly.

I had a pair ( BC1 size ) with an Audax and Isophon units, which I did some mods. on.
They sounded very good and the buyer was very happy with them.
They were the ‘Lyric’, designed by Malcolm J.

If this design works, it would seem to represent exceptional value. Wasn’t Falcon’s LS3/5A also very affordable when introduced, but then quickly rose in price afterwards?

Yes, if I remember correctly the Falcons were £1250 a pair upon release.
The kit was ( I think ) £823. I bought one and wished I’d bought more !
When Falcon started using Agents the price rose to something under £2000.

It would be interesting to build these and give them a listen.
( A change from repairing and building LS3/5as and ‘3/5a clones...)
Jerry is only about 17/18 miles away I haven’t called recently.

advertisement

Back