advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the total cases in London are on a par with Yorkshire - there have been questions around why London not seeing a 2nd wave e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lockdown-why-isnt-london-having-a-second-wave

I thought they were just better at social distancing than yucky Northerners :) Being serious though as I posted the other day the fact that there is more wealth (people not living on top of each other) and jobs where people are either naturally socially distanced or can work from home is likely saving them to an extent.

See the total cases in London are on a par with Yorkshire - there have been questions around why London not seeing a 2nd wave e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lockdown-why-isnt-london-having-a-second-wave
“The modelling has been criticised by some as unhelpful, because it assumes little will have been learned from dealing with the first wave of infections.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In all seriousness the government’s learned a great deal: firstly that a lot of people can get it and die without the NHS being totally overwhelmed, and secondly that most of the people who die weren’t likely to vote Conservative anyway, so f*** them.

First time around their inaction was based on complacency, callousness and learned helplessness: this time around it’s based on solid evidence.

Them young people’s not socially distancing. I’ve seen them out of an evening, carousing, arms round each other, care-free laughter, speeding two to an electric scooter and queuing 5 deep to get into pubs. Total disgrace if you ask me. Went up to one and said “why don’t you stay in and save up for a nice pair of speakers?”.

“The modelling has been criticised by some as unhelpful, because it assumes little will have been learned from dealing with the first wave of infections.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In all seriousness the government’s learned a great deal: firstly that a lot of people can get it and die without the NHS being totally overwhelmed, and secondly that most of the people who die weren’t likely to vote Conservative anyway, so f*** them.

First time around their inaction was based on complacency, callousness and learned helplessness: this time around it’s based on solid evidence.
I would have thought that white folks over the age of 65 were a core part of the Tory electorate. You must know better.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...nicgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to15may2020
Perhaps you've got more up to date data.

So shock horror then, people love a half price microwaved lasagne more than the potential to catch and spread a deadly disease. Nobody saw that coming at all.

"The results reveal that six weeks after leaving hospital, 88% of patients still showed signs of lung damage in CT scans – such as patches resembling ground glass – while 47% of patients were experiencing breathlessness. At 12 weeks, these figures were 56% and 39% respectively."

“Covid-19 survivors have persisting lung impairment weeks after recovery,” said Dr Sabine Sahanic of the University Clinic in Innsbruck who is part of the team behind the work.

But the trajectory is towards recovery. “Over time a moderate improvement is detectable,” she added, noting the results suggested that structured follow-up care for those who have suffered a severe infection was important."

Do such patients in the UK have structured follow up care?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...have-lung-damage-weeks-after-leaving-hospital

Five teachers at a school in Suffolk (that well known hotspot) have been infected shutting the School after only a week. The insensitive Head Teacher said nothing about Teachers' H&S or their well being when interviewed:

"The school’s headteacher, Andy Hunter, said the safety of pupils was his “biggest priority” and there was a sense of “huge disappointment after working so hard to get the school back up and running”. He added that the school had “taken very extensive precautions”. A deep clean is to take place at the premises."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-suffolk-school-test-positive-for-coronavirus

I’ve been keeping the news at arm’s length for the sake of my sanity, so I haven’t seen much coverage either way.

But has much been said about the UK implementing the Apple/Google tracking facilities which have now become available without needing an app?

I updated my iPhone this morning, and tried to turn exposure notifications on. But I received a message that the public health authority in my region (I’m guessing England, but it might mean the whole UK) haven’t turned them on.

Last I heard about the government app, it was an abject failure, and I’m pretty sure a switch to using the Google/Apple system was mentioned. But is that the official position now, and has anything been said about when?

A further 8 schools in Liverpool with hundreds of pupils self isolating, this is beginning to unravel more quickly than I anticipated

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08a919fc877e4e#block-5f56362a8f08a919fc877e4e
If you worked in a school, as do I, you’d know that this is inevitable. Proper social distancing with children on crowded school sites is impossible, no matter the measures a school implements. I sincerely hope that when some teachers start dying (some of us are older, and I have a critically vulnerable wife), schools/heads/Govt that have insisted staff do not wear any PPE (at least mine insists both pupils and staff do) have the living daylights sued out of them.

If I could walk away from the job I would do so now, but I just can’t do that financially.

The lack of attention given to the risks facing teachers is scandalous. We rightly worried about nurses and doctors (a different situation, I know), but given the evidence of young-adult like transmission rates amongst older teenagers, we should also be raising the alarm here.

If you worked in a school, as do I, you’d know that this is inevitable.

I certainly know that much - I've been trying to shield (since late January) and I've had that taken away from me by my kids being forced to return under threat of sanction. It's all down to chance now, best of luck.

Another 3000 (2948) cases today folks - the dashboard did that delayed update trick again if you catch it when it swaps over

If you worked in a school, as do I, you’d know that this is inevitable. Proper social distancing with children on crowded school sites is impossible, no matter the measures a school implements. I sincerely hope that when some teachers start dying (some of us are older, and I have a critically vulnerable wife), schools/heads/Govt that have insisted staff do not wear any PPE (at least mine insists we do) have the living daylights sued out of them.

If I could walk away from the job I would do so now, but I just can’t do that financially.

The lack of attention given to the risks facing teachers is scandalous. We rightly worried about nurses and doctors (a different situation, I know), but given the evidence of young-adult like transmission rates amongst older teenagers, we should also be raising the alarm here.
What's happened to the employer's duty of care under H&S legislation? Is it being ignored? If so, why wait for elderly teachers with medical conditions to start dying before taking action. Is there really nothing that can be done?

It’s entirely unrealistic to expect that school kids will maintain distance from each other. There’s nothing malicious in this — kids forget, they’re notoriously bad at assessing risk, and in many schools it’s simply impossible.

I’m extremely grateful that where I live online schooling is an option, because if it weren’t I expect that by fall we’d have at least two deaths in the family.

Joe

I certainly know that much - I've been trying to shield (since late January) and I've had that taken away from me by my kids being forced to return under threat of sanction. It's all down to chance now, best of luck.

This, 100% this. My partner's kids are now my most likely infection vector thanks to the government making it law that they have to go to school. So all that taking precautions for months on advice of the government is now being undone by this piss poor ill thought out decision. To say I'm not happy is an understatement. I actually wish things on the government (and those who voted for it) that no civilised human being should wish on anyone, but I find I can't help myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back