advertisement

Schiit Sol Turntable

They fixed all known issues after the originaly release became ultimately a beta release.

When they realized they had several issues with it (after extensive development and manufacture for the first run), they apologized openly, took responsibility, and offered a simple solution to the buyers; return it for a full refund, or, keep your product, we will send you fixes/updates, and you can tell us how they are working as we implement. For those who kept the product and served as a feedback of information for fixes, the price was dropped to $499 from $799, and of course they got all final pieces to replace as they came off the line.

After they had completed updates, the price stayed the same as original $799 except now comes with a standard AT cartridge pre-installed, or, they have a slightly more expensive version with a GRADO MM coming pre-installed.

I honestly cannot recall any company acting this forthright and stand-up about such a mistake. And while Schiit can be criticized for released a product before it was ready--hey man, they've never previously made a TT, and their model is straight-to-consumer, direct communication in the first place. I think ultimately the blight turned into a mark of excellence.

It's available now and shipping AFAIK. Michael Fremer has it under review and that should be published shortly, again AFAIK.

They do sound like people you could have a good night out with, they'd be a laugh :). I just hope that they don't run aground on one of the many business reefs.

Steve Guttenberg can barely keep a huge grin off his face whenever he mentions them, and I bet it's not just because of the kick he gets from saying the name.

I remember some of their hateful acolytes rounding on me last year when I dared to suggest said product looked badly made; which it was.

Still doesn’t look that great really so hope it sounds good.
My argument at the time is why not charge, say £1000 & get it right?

TT market is very competitive & you would need a brilliant product to take sales away from Technics & Rega for example.

I remember some of their hateful acolytes rounding on me last year when I dared to suggest said product looked badly made; which it was.
I don't think it's badly made at all. It had design flaws.

Show me a competitive product with a bearing of that quality and an armtube of that quality. At that price. Please.

I will admit the lack of speed control and power supply is a bit of a let down but quality of materials is excellent.

I don't think it's badly made at all. It had design flaws.

Show me a competitive product with a bearing of that quality and an armtube of that quality. At that price. Please.

I will admit the lack of speed control and power supply is a bit of a let down but quality of materials is excellent.
The early models were almost a kit. It has to take sales away from Project, Technics & Rega. Best of luck to them.

Schiit’s whole company history has been attempting what appeared impossible for the price...and ultimately making it work. So I wouldn’t be put off by early teething problems, I suspect this may eventually end up being one of the best bang-for-the-buck turntables you can buy.

The early models were almost a kit. It has to take sales away from Project, Technics & Rega. Best of luck to them.

It IS a kit. That's kind of the point. It has no trouble "taking sales" from project or rega or etc. for a few reasons; firstly because TT's are an expanding market, not a constrained one, second because it offers a very different aesthetic and appeal to a different customer. It really is part of the Schiit eco-system more than anything else.

Simple version is this; it requires more time to set up and 'build'. More skill. (On that note, we're talking about 5 mins to set up ONCE, versus 1-2 Hours to set up ONCE. When done, there is no additional time/effort required) . That being said, what are the results once built and up and running properly?? I don't know. Haven't heard it. But You're talking about a skeletal plinth, 12" arm with real carbon armtube and smartly designed uni-pivot design, massive main bearing, quality motor on a separate pod.....I wouldn't be surprised if this wiped the floor with a planar 2/elys. Not saying it DOES, just saying IF it does....and you like the aesthetic, it's a winner.

CV-19 seems to be hammering the Schiit business model in Europe and the UK. There is almost nothing in stock in the UK or EU web store. For example see here.

It is certainly an interesting design concept, although, for one wishing to fit their own cartridge, the company could have bothered to give some indication of tonearm geometry, other than the following:

"Longest Arm in the Hood—Swappable in Seconds
Sol features a carbon fiber tonearm that is longer than anything else in its price class—a full 11” long.
A longer arm means more accurate tracking—much better than the “baby arms” of other affordable turntables. Not only that, the Sol tonearm can be swapped in seconds, allowing you to easily change cartridges to meet your specific needs." [emphasis added]
I would beg to differ wrt the tracking being more accurate simply because the tonearm is longer. The results will be just as overhang and lateral offset dependent as for shorter or longer tonearms. All the more reason for Schitt to provide some indication of tonearm geometry; and/or an appropriate protractor; a simple overhang gauge even!

As the manual* mentions nothing, customers are left to figure out for themselves that they'll need source a one or two-point protractor. Or, should one be a bit more experienced, one could use their preferred inner and outer null values, along with the easily measurable pivot to spindle dimension, to calculate overhang and offset using the following formulas:

L = sqrt(D^2 + N1 * N2)
D = sqrt(L^2 - N1 * N2) or, the measure of uni-pivot point to centre of platter spindle.
Overhang = L - D
Linear Offset = (N1 + N2)/2
Offset Angle = Arc sin(N1 + N2)/2L)​

where:
L = Effective Length
D = Mounting Distance
N1 = Inner Null
N2 = Outer Null​

[Credit, where credit is due: Percy Wilson, 1924/1929 and Erik Löfgren, 1938]

The above assumes that the particular combination of a straight headshell with straight in-line slots (albeit of staggered positions) actually allow for a standard 1/2" mount cartridge to be angled sufficiently in order to achieve correct lateral offset for a given overhang, wrt a chosen set of null points, without having to resort to a single fastener mounting bodge.

* Shiit Sol manual here: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/sol manual 1_01.pdf

Last edited:
It’s very interesting, but at my advanced age anything more complicated than a Planar 3 just makes me sleepy...

My impression of the product from the much too charitable Fremer review - runs slow, but a $300 gizmo from Music Hall will get it up to speed. Thick bass clouds all recordings, but a $300 Funk turntable mat will sort that out no problem. Not interested.

Can't decide...I like some aspects of the design and it might be interesting to hear it, but certainly won't be parting with any money!

If it were a car, it would be a TVR

advertisement

Back