advertisement

Gaggia Classic

Spike

pfm Member
I have an original Italian made Gaggia classic with the 3 way solenoid valve, all brass group and full sized 58mm portafilter.
A few years ago I replaced the steam wand with a Rancilio steam wand. This was a welcome addition.
I see that many people modify these machines and I’m interested if anyone here has modified their Classic and and what your opinions are?

This reminds me, I've had a mini gaggia in the corner unused for years. I need to either use it or sell it.

I have not done much you haven't already mentioned. I have upgraded to a fancy shower screen. I am sure you have seen mention on coffee forums of more extreme modifications, eg to improve temperature stability.

Am in the process of changing to the Rancilio steam wand...

Why doesn't Gaggia do these simple mods: the steam wand, the PID, the correct 9 bar pressure for espresso etc ?
Wouldn't cost much at factory prices...and they have had 30 years to think about it...

Last edited:
Why doesn't Gaggia do these simple mods: the steam wand, the PID, the correct 9 bar pressure for espresso etc ?
Wouldn't cost much at factory prices...and they have had 30 years to think about it...
I believe they were bought out by Phillips and there was a massive backwards step. This was reversed recently with a drastic increase in price. The mods move the machine into a more expensive category. Gaggia make a machine which incorporates many of the mods but the price is increased astronomically.

I've had a gaggia classic since 2006 and also added the Rancilio wand. A few years ago I added a PID kit, main advantage is swapping the thermocouple for a digital thermostat. Quite pricey especially if you buy a pre built one but it was a fun thing to do.

I've had a gaggia classic since 2006 and also added the Rancilio wand. A few years ago I added a PID kit, main advantage is swapping the thermocouple for a digital thermostat. Quite pricey especially if you buy a pre built one but it was a fun thing to do.
What does this add?

Yet another coffee thread reminds me that my Mini Gaggia is still unused and I've just had a Nespresso, which was fine. What's the going rate for a used mini gaggia?

advertisement

Back