advertisement

BBC - the "last straw".

How many Prom concerts have you been to? You have to go to at least 6 normal concerts to go in the last night ballot if you don't have a season ticket (I did that one year but didn't go to the LN even though I had a guaranteed place). All of the regular Prommers are serious music fans.
That’s interesting, didn’t know about ticket allocation and it’s 30 years since I’ve been. I had assumed that there was a last night audience which was different from the regular season attendees.

I think you have added 2 + 2 and got 5 there... I would expect them to be fans of classical music.. or maybe "fans"...
If one is rather "U" then a certain amount of attendances of "the ballet", proms, the odd poetry reading, is de rigueur to show ones cultural credentials at the hunt ball piss up.... and who knows.. many probably are capable of simultaneously actually liking it:)
Not everyone is rich and privileged enough to go to rock concerts Arkless. Poor middle-class kids like me, who were cruelly forced to go to school and study and then to University while our working-class counterparts were earning good money, driving fancy cars, smoking dope and shagging, we can’t afford £100 for a Rolling Stones gig, not to mention another couple of hundred for drugs and merchandise, or a grand for a season ticket for the footie. No, all we can afford is classical music, same old tunes knocked out by old men on old decrepit instruments that don’t even have amplifiers. But do I begrudge the privileged, rich masses their rock music and football just because I lack working class cultural credentials?

Off the top my head, I can't think of any left-wing comedians, now Jeremy Hardy's dead. Maybe Boris & co have been watching re-runs of Ben Elton or Alexi Sayle 'getting a bit political'.
The only time I found Ben Elton (as a standup) remotely funny was railing against the idea of adding a 4th lane to the M25. Pulled a never ending black bin liner from an over full swing bin, comparing the two. Even that was London-centric.

I find Elton’s political humour the weakest of his work. It all seems awkwardly shoehorned. What’s worse is that he appears to know this, as it’s delivered with a knowing wink (even in Upstart Crow you can almost hear Elton, who wrote it, off stage going “eh? eh? bit of topical politics in your Tudor sitcom!”)

Not sure of the rules wrt getting into the Last Night these days. But I only managed to get tickets once when it was either a lottery or a season ticket being the way 'in'. When I did go I enjoyed singing along with everyone else. The second half of the Last Night is a party for people who've enjoyed going to Proms. People from all over the world. Not a political rally.

Looks like Rees-Smug broke the Commons protocols by playing Land of Soap on a Rope on his phone. All he received was a jocular slap from Hoyle. These Tories are beyond contempt of anything now.

Not everyone is rich and privileged enough to go to rock concerts Arkless. Poor middle-class kids like me, who were cruelly forced to go to school and study and then to University while our working-class counterparts were earning good money, driving fancy cars, smoking dope and shagging, we can’t afford £100 for a Rolling Stones gig, not to mention another couple of hundred for drugs and merchandise, or a grand for a season ticket for the footie. No, all we can afford is classical music, same old tunes knocked out by old men on old decrepit instruments that don’t even have amplifiers. But do I begrudge the privileged, rich masses their rock music and football just because I lack working class cultural credentials?
Would they be the same working class counterparts who left school at 15 and will retire on only a state pension at 66?

Would they be the same working class counterparts who left school at 15 and will retire on only a state pension at 66?
Thats me bro'. Left sec mod at 15 with 6 'O' Levels one was self taught! I did retire at 66 and get a state pension, a teachers pension and a nice fat SIPP.

I used go to the proms when I lived in London and love all sorts of music including opera, serious (classical type) music and jazz plus a lot of other stuff.

There is a lot more to life than what you were born into.

Cheers,

DV

Baroque Prom on BBC4 tonight with Nicola Benedetti (just finished now on BBC4) was great.

Although the reasons are bad, the response of the BBC in rebroadcasting selected past Proms was a good idea. The R3 examples are all still available. Some examples go back into the 1990s. As a result you can probably hear them in better quality now via iPlayer than you could when they were first broadcast!

The TV rebroadcast of the original Simon Bolivar Orch Prom was also one I was particularly pleased to see rebroadcast.

Alexei Sayle is active again, his recent couple of series on R4 have been superb (as was his standup tour last year).

We saw Alexei Sayle on his last tour.
I read a few of his books and the BBC radio 4 show is very funny and surreal.

The tour was bits of the radio show peppered with current political situation rants.

The show (at Nottingham Playhouse) was disappointing, and felt thrown together.

As for the Proms. I have never seen it, although I am aware of it.
For posh folk I have always thought.

Not at all, when Henry wood started them back in 1895 they were to give ordinary people the chance to hear classical and modern music. The remit has not changed.

The last night shenannigans is just an aberration started by Malcolm Sargent in the fifties.

We saw Alexei Sayle on his last tour.
I read a few of his books and the BBC radio 4 show is very funny and surreal.

The tour was bits of the radio show peppered with current political situation rants.

The show (at Nottingham Playhouse) was disappointing, and felt thrown together.

Yeah the show in Birmingham (I expect within a couple of days of the Notts gig) had a similar slightly cobbled together feel, but it was still quite fun.

Saw Rob Newman in Nottingham, I think at the playhouse (or was that David Sedaris?) last year too. That was ace.

Yeah the show in Birmingham (I expect within a couple of days of the Notts gig) had a similar slightly cobbled together feel, but it was still quite fun.

Saw Rob Newman in Nottingham, I think at the playhouse (or was that David Sedaris?) last year too. That was ace.

Quite a difference twixt Newman and Sedaris... (at least 12")

We saw Sedaris in Nottm. years ago. He was hilarious, I was in stitches. His books make me hoot out loud.

It is a real shame classical music in general has that reputation as it puts a lot of people off. Whilst I’m obviously quite frightfully posh myself I just went to the Proms in jeans and a t-shirt, just as I go anywhere, and didn’t feel out of place at all. The queue for the standing area (no booking tickets for the cheap areas) was always full of nice friendly people IME and the atmosphere inside great. As I say I’ve never been to the last night, or wanted to go to it, but the proper stuff is great and very user-friendly (assuming you are prepared to wait in a queue for an hour or two to get in as it is first come first served and good stuff is over-subscribed). Good art always attracts good people and class should never be a driver here, and I’m sure it isn’t beyond maybe a bit of toffery on the last night.

It is a real shame classical music in general has that reputation as it puts a lot of people off. Whilst I’m obviously quite frightfully posh myself I just went to the Proms in jeans and a t-shirt, just as I go anywhere, and didn’t feel out of place at all. The queue for the standing area (no booking tickets for the cheap areas) was always full of nice friendly people IME and the atmosphere inside great. As I say I’ve never been to the last night, or wanted to go to it, but the proper stuff is great and very user-friendly (assuming you are prepared to wait in a queue for an hour or two to get in as it is first come first served and good stuff is over-subscribed). Good art always attracts good people and class should never be a driver here, and I’m sure it isn’t beyond maybe a bit of toffery on the last night.

I love classical music, it is not that that I regarded as posh when younger.
It was the London-centric aspect of the proms.

I know better now of course.

Quite a difference twixt Newman and Sedaris... (at least 12")

We saw Sedaris in Nottm. years ago. He was hilarious, I was in stitches. His books make me hoot out loud.

Ha, yeah, slight potential confusion over venue, not who was performing - I went to see both, in theatre sorts of places. But one venue was enormous, and just by Rock City, and the other was slightly smaller, and somewhat less just by Rock City.

advertisement

Back