advertisement

Who will succeed Boris Johnson as party leader and Prime Minister?

Who do you think will succeed him as party leader and PM?

• Sunak

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • Gove

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Raab

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Patel

• Hancock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Truss

• Shapps

• Jenrick

• Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
There is no doubt that the denizens of Red Fish detest him and but, although I am no fan of the auld BJ, I am afraid he is going to be PM up until the next GE unless of course his hard BREXIT returns the UK to the dark ages.

There is no doubt that the denizens of Red Fish detest him and but, although I am no fan of the auld BJ, I am afraid he is going to be PM up until the next GE unless of course his hard BREXIT returns the UK to the dark ages.

He won't get the choice. His bumbling "clever toff spewing empty optimism" act is already wearing thin. The men in suits will come for him well before then.

My preference is that Johnson remains- for all sorts of reasons. Alas, I believe I will be disappointed.

He has got a huge problem to face, squaring the circle of raising taxes (as his Chancellor insists is necessary) whilst not pissing off the low-tax Tories who are influential both within the party and with the party's funders and the Tory press. Even the Torygraph, recently a Boris fanzine, is running articles by the likes of John Redwood to the effect that taxes must be lowered rather than raised. My guess is that Sunak would make tax rises a resignation issue if he doesn't get his way.

The key question is whether Boris has a sufficient power base amongst MPs to forestall any challenge. Of course, it may not come to that; his Covid illness could provide a cover story for his early departure.

^This. If the UK does suffer, the Union looks like breaking up and, more importantly for the Conservatives, causes their polling to get too bad (or looks like it's going that way) he will get a visit from the men in grey suits and someone new will come in plenty of time for 2024 GE.

Probably not until 2022 at the earliest but the media seems to already be setting the ground for justifying his departure.

Are 27 per cent supposed to be a landslide ?

BJ will remain in his seat until the end of his term and possibly one more.

Did I say anything about a landslide?

The point is that The Express even ran an article like that. Whether they’ll succeed is another matter, but there are moves being made. Possibly even semi-paradoxically defensive moves, I wouldn’t put it past Cummings to try to shore up support precisely by creating an impression of vulnerability.

The fact that the link now goes to a 404 may or may not also be relevant.

Will Johnson last that long ?

He has been bored for a long time already.

Sunak least worst and unlikely due so skin colour and being least worst

Cummings ?

Will Johnson last that long ?

He has been bored for a long time already.

Sunak least worst and unlikely due so skin colour and being least worst

Cummings ?
Is Will Johnson another member of the bloody Johnson family that we have to hear about ad infinitum?

Sir John Redwood- an excellent successor when the time comes. I wouldn’t put it past Steve ( I’m the new Cromwell and brother in Christ) Baker to stand. I assume Cummings will go with his master or go to the block when the new leader arrives. He’ll make a very handy scapegoat, such is his level of repulsiveness.

advertisement

Back