advertisement

Which cheapish streamer?

Chromecast audio is great for the money i paid £20 for a reconditioned one and works great. my first step into streaming and I enjoy it not yet added a better dac but will try that before i change the CCA

I also want to use my iPhone X to stream cheaply onto my olive naim amps. I already have a chrome cast currently plugged into my TV.. but, mine has an HDMI cable - how do I go from there to an old naim? I’m not really in a position at the mo to buy any kit but would love the convenience of listening to music off phone through my active old naims
I had been trying to find a 5-pin din to USB cable and then plug my phone charging cable to it. But as it was proving so hard to find I worried if there was a reason and I could damage amps?

Chrome cast audio only has 2.5 mm out I use that with a lead to connect to my amp.
For £20 it's great will link with you phone or laptop and just like the TV version except for music. The 2.5 out can be optical out to external dac that my next step. Or if you like your phone get a usb dac

Bluesound node2, connects to Spotify, has airplay 2 for Apple Music, connects to local or nas/ memeory stick and sounds really good imo! I’ve got a vault with my naim/neat set up and it’s the best purchase I’ve bought in years! Also it streams out to other Bluetooth speakers and the app is faultless.

I decided to invest in a Lindemann Limetree Network for my office system and I am very happy with it. Good free control app too.

Bluesound's Node 2i would be a great choice here. Lot's of local network and Internet streaming options, a pretty good built-in DAC and the option to upgrade later with an outboard DAC.

https://www.strictlystereo.com/shop-online/bluesound-node-2

Alternatively, I just had a used Node 2 come in as a trade-in. This is the predecessor to the Node 2i and differs in some small ways like its WiFi module (N rather than AC), Bluetooth (input only rather than input and output) and AirPlay support (original AirPlay vs AirPlay 2). It works perfectly but it has mark on the top of case, hence the low price of £200.

Volumio running on an rpi does Spotify Connect well - I ran it for a few years with the USB into a PSAudio DAC/preamp. Also sounded very good with a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC plugged into it. Total cost about $150 if you go the AQ DAC route.

I also want to use my iPhone X to stream cheaply onto my olive naim amps. I already have a chrome cast currently plugged into my TV.. but, mine has an HDMI cable - how do I go from there to an old naim? I’m not really in a position at the mo to buy any kit but would love the convenience of listening to music off phone through my active old naims
I had been trying to find a 5-pin din to USB cable and then plug my phone charging cable to it. But as it was proving so hard to find I worried if there was a reason and I could damage amps?
You can get an HDMI audio extractor and plug it in between the Chromecast and the TV. The audio extractor usually has a couple of RCA phono outputs. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/AuviPal-Extra...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Not super quality hifi- but works for me into an old A60 amplifier by the TV.

No one's mentioned the Auralic Mini - that's gotta be a contender. It's the swiss army knife of streamers - has lots of features and connectivity options (spdif, optical, usb out) - also accommodates built in storage - it's a winner all round because it does the lot all in one small neat package.

Except android and for that reason my money was spent on Bluesound.

Yes true. You would need to supplement your purchase with an iPad Mini or such like - but just think of it as a fancy remote if you don't already have any i-device in the vicinity. If you do have an iPhone or iPad - the Mini is a no brainer - nothing else listed above has as much in term of facilities in one ready cooked box.

I had a Bluesound briefly - but really I wanted a digital USB out. The Bluesound (not that it matters to most) did not give me the facility to limit Tidal to FLAC output which caused my ancient Arcam BB DAC to bomb out because the old 16 bit DAC did not understand the MQA streams or anything 24 bit. Fantastic GUI though!! So if you don't need USB out or any weird hairshirt functionality then the Bluesound is tops!

If you want cheap just to test, what about this at £250?

https://stagegearstore.co.uk/denon-...MIyKmP_IjX6wIVB7LtCh3C8AqXEAkYAyABEgJopPD_BwE

denon_dn-350ui_f.jpg

• Internet radio and FM tuner
  • Enabled with Spotify Connect for direct music streaming
  • Network-ready via Ethernet port
  • Play files from USB media and Bluetooth devices
  • Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs
  • Digital coax and optical outputs

Teufel Streamer or the earlier Connector if you can find one SH. I was impressed with mine - good app, USB drive compatibility, all the major servers supported, good price/feature set and sounded very nice.

Any of the Yamaha MusicCast offerings - also excellent value. Hi-res a possibility too.

Bluesound Node 2i also . I just got into streaming in the last 3 months. Great piece of kit and great value @ £500. And this is someone who is use to playing CDs on CDX/XPS over the last 20 years!

These new streamers I've got in stock from Arylic are great. The A50pro has all the functionality you need, decent DAC chip etc for £170. There is a cheaper one with a few less connections as well, the S10. They do multi-room as well.

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/arylic-a50-wireless-amplifier/

Someone mentioned the KhadasTone board with USB up thread as well, which is great if he just want to plug his phone into something they are a bit more DIY, but sound great. I've got free cases with mine at the moment.

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/khadas-tone-board-generic-edition/

Loads of great products out there that do what your mate wants

No one's mentioned the Auralic Mini - that's gotta be a contender. It's the swiss army knife of streamers - has lots of features and connectivity options (spdif, optical, usb out) - also accommodates built in storage - it's a winner all round because it does the lot all in one small neat package.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but they have been out of production for awhile now, and the few that come up used seem to go very, very quickly. I'd love to have one.

Probably because it has been discontinued.

advertisement

Back