advertisement

Coffee grinders

I use one of these http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p48/feld47travel.html

For the amount of coffee I drink and the brewing methods (aeropress or espresso) it takes up little space, is highly adjustable and very solidly made.

You can travel with it too, which is a bonus.
Yes, I have an original Feldgrind and it is great. I tend to use it when I want a one-off zero retention job that I can just weigh, tip in and grind. Also the 40 seconds of effort gets the sluggish bloodstream started so the caffeine gets a fighting chance. If you can put up with the well-documented irritations of dealing with MBK I recommend them.

Pardon me for expressing an opinion and asking some friendly questions!? It's not like I just suggested the entire roasting industry doesn't know what it's doing :)
Hi Matthew. What grinders would you recommend for drip brewing?

Hi Matthew. What grinders would you recommend for drip brewing?

For hand grinders, I have a Knock like Andrew's which is great (it's at my parents for when I am travelling up north). They are so well made they are a thing of joy in themselves even before you get to the coffee. The bloke who makes them seems to be a sort of chaotic good type and you can famously end up on back order for ages with not much in the way of comms.

For electric I have owned a couple of Baratzas and they have been fantastic. The Encore is the best bang per buck and an excellent grinder. The Virtuoso (my current grinder) is a little bit better as a grinder but has much more metal and better quality plastics.

If I was buying again I would be tempted by one of these which for drip brewing is about as good as it gets but it's a bit spendy at £280.

PS Just to be completely clear this is all in the context of drip. I know nothing about espresso.

For hand grinders, I have a Knock like Andrew's which is great (it's at my parents for when I am travelling up north). They are so well made they are a thing of joy in themselves even before you get to the coffee. The bloke who makes them seems to be a sort of chaotic good type and you can famously end up on back order for ages with not much in the way of comms.

For electric I have owned a couple of Baratzas and they have been fantastic. The Encore is the best bang per buck and an excellent grinder. The Virtuoso (my current grinder) is a little bit better as a grinder but has much more metal and better quality plastics.

If I was buying again I would be tempted by one of these which for drip brewing is about as good as it gets but it's a bit spendy at £280.

PS Just to be completely clear this is all in the context of drip. I know nothing about espresso.
Thanks!

advertisement

Back