advertisement

Naim pre amp's

FC united

pfm Member
Trying to sell my Naim Nac 152xs so I can buy a Nac 82 or possibly a Nac 72.
Questions are
1. Are the 82 and 72 a big step up on the 152xs
2. Is the 82 a lot better than the 72 seeing as you need three psu's for the 82 and only one for the 72 (I do have a dual teddy)
P.S.
I will be running the pre with an olive 250 if that makes any difference
Thanks in advance

I've never had a 152 so can't comment on point 1. but when I auditioned 82 vs 72 when the 82 was newly introduced I thought it was chalk & cheese, there was no way I could be satisfied with the 72 after hearing the 82!

Having said that there are plenty of people who prefer the 72! There has been some sample variation with many of the older Naim designs so maybe I was comparing a good 82 with a not so good 72?

You don't really need 3 supplies for an 82. It came as standard with the NAPSC for the digital circuits and I used the built in supply of my NAP 180 until I could afford to add a single hi cap.

I later switched to a dual teddycap which replaces 2 hi caps and the NAPSC in one small box - and you've already got one!

Last edited:
I have an 82 with HiCap and NAPSC. To my ears it is far more controlled than a 72. Instruments are clearer, start and stop more clearly and just more musical. A great buy, especially the later one with POTS 8

I disagree that the 82 is more musical than the 72, but it is defo clearer and more controlled whilst still giving the musical enjoyment.

If limited on space, a 72/140 is extremely good for its footprint / price. But since you mention the 250 already ...

You can also add a Supercap to the 82, change the link plug arrangement and use most of its rails instead of the maximum of 4. Come to think of it, it can be done with the 72 as well.

Yes, the Witch Hat Superlink mod would well on a 72. You'd lose the backwards compatibility with the 4 pin DIN socket though.

ah so no way to make it reversible like the 82? could be a great pathway to long term upgrades if I ever get there that is.

makes me think keeping the 72 over a 102 is the right choice after all.

The beauty of the Superlink on the 82 and 282 is that it replaces the link plug socket for one with more inputs and that is used to link them out or to use. The 72 doesn't have that spare socket. The 102 does if you lose the ability to use the analogue supplies for the digital circuits, but you should do that anyway.

advertisement

Back