advertisement

Rega CD player - solid state vs valve

Never heard the valve version but owned the solid state version for 8 years. It’s a great CDP and a relative bargain at used prices. Had to move to a 2 box set up to better it. The USB input is a nice bonus too.

It's very hard to get solid information on these players. I've been considering going from the Saturn-R to an Isis but comparisons are thin on the ground. Which is surprizing.

I would guess due to the general decrease in the cd player market that it is going to be harder to find reviews of player comparisons.

The only reliable way to decide if ,and which , player is for you would be to arrange a dem through your local Rega dealer and compare it to yours.

I know i certainly wouldn't buy a £7000 player just by reading someone's opinion of it.

I know I certainly wouldn't buy a £7000 player just by reading someone's opinion of it.

Neither would I as I'd buy a used one. I wouldn't dem the player I a shop with no intention of buying from them. I'd get as much info as I could then buy one used and if I didn't want to keep it just sell it again. I do that regularly.

Being a total valved CDP convert (but Lector, not Rega) after travelling from an old 2 box, then a 1 box G08 Meridian. Loved the Meridian; couldn't fault it with my upper Naim/big ProAc system. The Lector was unlike the surprisingly smooth yet dynamic Meridian. There was an organic, analogue aspect to the presentation. Plenty of life too. I then went on to the 4 box Lector for slightly more refinement. Soundstage is wide. Given decent CDs, it's virtually on a par with my Dais, 12" PU7 and Proteus vinyl rig.

A friend brought his upper Wadia along to compare with (I think) my 2 box Lector. Both were excellent and could hardly be faulted for the usual sonic parameters. The only difference was on of involvement. The Wadia was relatively slightly flat, or 'deadpan'. The Lector brought life and pzazz into the proceedings, with commensurately greater enjoyment.

Now whether the Rega exhibits the same nuances of presentation and timbre as my Lector, I know not, but would expect the differences between the s/s and valved CDPs to be at least of a more natural and musically involving nature. However, it's my DAC which has the (four, I believe) valves. The transport and 2 x power supplies are s/s, so not sure if putting it all in one box might mitigate against what I've experienced.

Of course, it really does depend upon synergy. If your kit is slightly on the 'revealing' side, valves could have a balancing effect, as it may well have done with my 2 box Lector with my Naim kit. I now have valved amplification but am still wedded to my valved CDP.

I moved to an Aesthetix Pandora DAC with a Class A valve-based output for very similar reasons. I preferred it to the DAC in the streamer I was using at the time and also to all the other DACs I tried. The Aesthetix has lived through a move from a valve based preamp and power amps to valve pre and s/s power amps and now to my all s/s amplification. There is something inherently right about the way the DAC reproduces music from 0's and 1's that the others I've tried can't manage.

Yeah, no problems - changed over to Naim CD555.

I preferred the Isis valve to the 555. Granted - only a relative short listening session (2 hours) in a dealers environment.
I had no intention of buying a new CD player but the Isis valve completely seduced me.
Must be almost 10 years - still happy.
The use of Stack Audio Link / Roon into the Isis USB has probably extended the Isis' lifetime to along as mine.

Some years ago now my local dealership hosted a Rega day. Rega brought along both Isis versions and an Osiris along with a RP9 and whatever their top phonostage was at the time. Unfortunately they also brought RS7 speakers (it was a while ago) which held the rest back I thought. The valve isis seemed to play from a darker background but wasn’t conveying rhythm as well as the SS one and that’s what I ended up listening to the most. I had the room to myself for quite some time so gave both a good go with a variety of music.
I used Naim at home, and still do but no longer a CD player.

Could you use USB out from a streamer/ server into the USB input on the Isis Dac and would you be able to stream? I know the Dac in the Isis is a very good one.

Also I have 24 bit files on a HDD. Would the Isis play these still by downsizing, does anyone know?

The Isis came out on the cusp of streamer/bit files technology and is limited to 16 bit only. There were too many outputs and not enough inputs.

It's a pity Rega never did a mk 2 version to embrace new formats, could have increased sales and given it more long term appeal possibly.

Great player and I actually owned one before and the Osiris before selling due to a property purchase. Have the Saturn R now.

Undecided whether I stick with CD in future or go down the streamer/ server/cd rips/hi Res route in future.

The Saturn R betters my Node2i into the Dac portion in the Saturn R comfortably at present, regardless of 24 bit or not. To be fair to the streamer with the Saturn R Dac, the Saturn R as transport/ Dac would cost quite a bit more.

I have an Auralic Aries Mini hooked up to my ss Isis and it plays everything that the mini throws at it very beautifully
I preferred the Isis to Naim’s 555 after demo at my dealer. Not a lot between them, just personal preference and that huge price difference!

I have an Auralic Aries Mini hooked up to my ss Isis and it plays everything that the mini throws at it very beautifully
I preferred the Isis to Naim’s 555 after demo at my dealer. Not a lot between them, just personal preference and that huge price difference!

The Isis needs a better IC than the stock cable supplied to really shine IMO. The Rega Couple is Ok but the player deserves something better. I used the Atlas Mavros which wasn't cheap but made a big difference.

As good as all that was, I don't think it's as good as the CD555 but then the Naim is 3 x the price. They're a lot less used now so I was able to sell the Isis on for one.

I preferred the Isis valve to the 555..........(The Isis valve) completely seduced me.
Must be almost 10 years - still happy.

Has it really been out that long? I believe it came out some time after the s/s Isis but 10 years ago? Tempus fugit, as they say.

Worth mentioning that back in the turn of the century (1999 or 2000), a dealer brought down a Naim CDS, another expensive one (name escapes me but I believe it was valved) and a Linn CD12. Each was slotted in to my NA 52 plus 4 x 135 plus ProAc Response Fours. My friend and I were in no doubt, and neither was the dealer, which was the most natural and overall best of the three; the CD12 and by some margin. At £12K THEN, it had every right to be, of course. A landmark product; just a pity one had to pay for the ridiculous flight case and fancy packaging which would be immediately redundant once set up!

A further dem. of the CDS (1 or2? no idea) at Grahams, north London, through Naim but unfortunately big B&W Nautilus speakers (no synergy with Naim) left us both unimpressed. A year or so later I bought my first CDP, a s/h two-box Meridian, which was fine.

The Isis came out on the cusp of streamer/bit files technology and is limited to 16 bit only. There were too many outputs and not enough inputs.

It's a pity Rega never did a mk 2 version to embrace new formats, could have increased sales and given it more long term appeal possibly..

out of my league here, but an Apollo-R with a USB input is what I really want. Especially since there’s no standalone Rega DAC.

advertisement

Back