advertisement

Power supplies for Linn lp12

All I can say is that before my Armageddon was fitted to my LP12 it didn't really time properly; afterwards it did. How that happens I do not know.
This is impossible. It doesn’t make sense.
Perhaps the Naim moniker did the trick?

Just get a Linn Radikal and stop messing about, it was game a changer from a Lingo 2/3.

It's all about motor frame vibrations and it's reduction.
All the speed variation issues is pseudo science, we have a heavy mass flywheel, which you can't accelerate in a few nano seconds via a belt...or slowed. Neither does it slow down with drag, which will be largely a constant.
Concentricity of the pressing and a poorly set wobbly suspension is more likely to induce variation at the stylus interface.

I made up an Armageddon clone many years ago, but rather than a big transformer I shoved a variac into it, so can adjust the voltage. After some testing with a stethoscope it was clear that the vibration alters quite a lot with the voltage. I turn it up a little for starting up and warming up, then back it off to a little mark on the dial which gave the least vibration. This was a few years ago now, and don't use it much so should probably have another listen...
Certainly seemed to be an improvement over the original PS.

This is impossible. It doesn’t make sense.
Perhaps the Naim moniker did the trick?

Are you a troll or are you calling me a liar? I know what I heard.

Maybe your brain is totally deficient in the timing part, I can understand that. What's absolutely certain is that you've never heard a single piece of music in your life.

I think that what you suggested about my being brainwashed by the Linn / Naim publicity juggernaut is rather rude and uncalled for. Pissed again on Saturday night?

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it:

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Are you a troll or are you calling me a liar? I know what I heard.
I don't think he is either. However we all have to acknowledge that ears are very unreliable and brains even more so. What you (believe you) hear on one day can be hard to replicate another day, especially unsighted. Further to this, a simple blind spot demonstration will prove that we all see things that are not there. Brains fill in gaps.

I was just talking as a technical man with electromechanical knowledge and training, and as a musician. Sorry I hurt your feelings.
Saturday night at home as always, with the good lady wife.
By the way, speaking of the other half, too many boxes here as well! ;)
I rest my case.

I am interested in the various power supplies that can be connected to the lp12.
Particularly how they effect the sound quality, and how they compare in performance compared to Linns own off board power supplies?

Oh dear, and the original poster only asked this simple question before we had to descend into the usual name calling..

I am interested in the various power supplies that can be connected to the lp12.
Particularly how they effect the sound quality, and how they compare in performance compared to Linns own off board power supplies?

The Mober unit is often mentioned, but how does this compare to Linn's off board supplies?
I guess from my own perspective I wonder how a good off board power supply would benefit, if attached to Linn's Majik lp12, buying from new and adding one of these supplies.
I started off with a Valhalla many moons ago, then Hercules, then for many years an Armageddon. I have just rebuilt the lp12 and for the last three months have been using Edmunds Mober D.C. unit. The Mober D.C. is the best of the bunch, closely followed by the Naim. The lack of noise from Edmunds motor is incredible in comparison to old A.C units. The build quality of the control unit is impressive. The sound quality is outstanding. I can also recommend the Mober sub chassis, top plate and sub platter. Edmund is a really nice guy to deal with.

Best for me out of rather a lot that passed thru
AC - a Geddon clone bought of here for 90 quid
DC - Arthur's supply in the full Vector kit

Having done fm demodulation graphs for my deck with a geddon clone and edmund valhalla alike I know the geddon is the least accurate of the two, but the better sounding.

Removal of rfi source inside the deck, or just a preference for a bit of wobble in the speed, dunno?

I've only ever had two PSUs for my LP12, which I bought in 1987.

The original Valhalla gave way to a Naim Armageddon around the turn of the millennium. I too struggle to comprehend why the 'Geddon makes the LP12 sound so good, but I'm happy to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the results. A pivotal decision I had to make was whether to go down the Linn or Naim upgrade path. Ekos/Lingo was a bit more expensive than Aro/Geddon then, and as I had no opportunity to try before I handed over my cash, I bit the Naim bullet. It's a choice I absolutely do not regret - especially since getting a Tiger Paw Elevator to help with cueing security.

A few years back I decided to replace the Valhalla. After considering all the options I chose the Heed Orbit 1, it was within budget and as I had experience of other Heed products in my system it seemed a logical option.

Four years on I’ve been really impressed with the improvement. Immediately noticeable was how silent the background was. The fact that it runs at 33 1/3rpm and 45rpm is also beneficial.

Of course, having to bear in mind that this was replacing in ageing Valhalla, but still it was a big improvement for what I thought was little outlay.

A few years back I decided to replace the Valhalla. After considering all the options I chose the Heed Orbit 1, it was within budget and as I had experience of other Heed products in my system it seemed a logical option.

Four years on I’ve been really impressed with the improvement. Immediately noticeable was how silent the background was. The fact that it runs at 33 1/3rpm and 45rpm is also beneficial.

Of course, having to bear in mind that this was replacing in ageing Valhalla, but still it was a big improvement for what I thought was little outlay.

Likewise, the background silence was the thing I noticed the most, following the change from Valhalla (also ageing) to Lingo 1; especially in the "no music" bits - lead in, between tracks, run out, etc

The addition of 45rpm was a bonus; for some reason or other, the old Linn 45rpm adaptor never worked with our Valhalla

Pretty much the same story as "samz" - Valhalla burned out (nasty scorch marks on the pcb), I fitted an Orbit 1 (easy to do) and have been happy with it for well over fifteen years.

I do remember being impressed with how much more "stable"/"solid" the presentation seemed, although I guess that I had been putting up with less than ideal performance from the Valhalla for some time before it finally "blew". 45 RPM at the touch of a button was also a revelation for me at the time :)

advertisement

Back