advertisement

Class D amplification - Shock!

I’ve had a Primare i32 for around 18 months and have loved it. Recently though, it got poorly, so had to be sent away. During this hiatus I listened to my old Rotel RA-932 and was surprised how lovely it sounded. And for a further couple of weeks I installed my Naim 5i-2 and enjoyed it’s greater detail and ‘punch’ to the impressive Rotel. I decided that I’d sell the Primare once it returned. However, when the Primare (class D) was reinstated I was immediately reminded of what I’d been missing. It’s streets ahead of the other (class A?) amps I’d been living with in terms of detail, fullness, sound-staging and many other buzz-words. Needless to say, it’s staying put.

Last edited:
I’ve had a Primare i32 for around 18 months and have loved it. Recently though, it got poorly, so had to be sent away. During this hiatus I listened to my old Rotel RA-932 and was surprised how lovely it sounded. And for a further couple of weeks I installed my Naim 5i-2 and enjoyed it’s greater detail and ‘punch’ to the impressive Rotel. I decided that I’d sell the Primare once it returned. However, when the Primare (class D) was reinstated I was immediately reminded of what I’d been missing. It’s streets ahead of the other (class A) amps I’d been living with in terms of detail, fullness, sound-staging and many other buzz-words. Needless to say, it’s staying put.
I don't see any class A amps in this line up.

"No, no I'm not listening to the music ..........(insert name of partner, if you have one!), I'm not even listening to the hifi, I'm listening to that little black box down there on the carpet."

Many, many thanks for your input.

Some really interesting options are available to explore - Hopefully within the next six months.

I'm off to research the NAD amp which looks right up my street.

I'm like most of you. I don't care what the Class is. I just follow the music.

That's the spirit. That being said, every audio nut owes it to themselves to listen to music played by a hot-running, grossly inefficient and proper designed class A amplifier.

You may never go back to to anything else.

I absolutely agree. I might have really enjoyed my class D Gato DIA 250 a few years back, but the Pass Alephs (now sold), Pass XA 100.5 solid state and Rank Concept tube Class A amps are much, much better. And heavier. And sharper (particularly the Alephs which are very heavy and quite sharp on the corners making them a nightmare to carry). The XA100.5s are a two man lift.

If it isn't inconvenient and mildly dangerous it isn't proper hi-fi o_O

I've in recent years moved from Quad 606II to Primare A30.2 to Primare A34.2 (proprietary class D) and in every case it's been a significant improvement as far as my ears hear it. The A34.2 gives more detail, sound stage and better instrumental timbral information. I'm pleased.

At a lower price point, the PS Audio Sprout100 integrated amplifier is a great-sounding Class D unit. About $700 in the US, don’t know about UK availability/pricing. I bought one a few months ago, I’m still waiting on a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers, so in the meantime I’m running a pair of inexpensive ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 speakers and the setup sounds shockingly good.

every audio nut owes it to themselves to listen to music played by a hot-running, grossly inefficient and proper designed class A amplifier.

You may never go back to to anything else.

Having currently E.A.R. pre and mono's and thinking about something simpler in my dotage, I've recently wondered how a decent class A s/s integrated or just power amp would compare to what I have now with my 2905 ESLs. Sugden and Vitus come to mind. It seems the way to go but I've no idea if it would be a downgrade sonically or be less compatible with my ESLs. It is time for a change, for various reasons, but info. on this is hard to come by (on Google as well).

^The a21 is a very enjoyable little amp with the right speakers in the right space. My dealer liked ProAcs I liked Totem Arros at the time.

Having currently E.A.R. pre and mono's and thinking about something simpler in my dotage, I've recently wondered how a decent class A s/s integrated or just power amp would compare to what I have now with my 2905 ESLs. Sugden and Vitus come to mind. It seems the way to go but I've no idea if it would be a downgrade sonically or be less compatible with my ESLs. It is time for a change, for various reasons, but info. on this is hard to come by (on Google as well).
Have a look at this thread for some information about Luxman and Accuphase class A integrated amps.

Have a look at this thread for some information about Luxman and Accuphase class A integrated amps.

Thanks James, but I have scanned most pp from that thread. It's not the choice of class A (Jap, American Danish or British) which concerns me, but already having valved class A kit, what kind of move this would be for the sake of simplifying things and reverting to s/state stuff. The E.A.R. stuff is the s/s equivalent of valved amplification, it seems (i.e. no lushness) but otherwise benefits from its format

I s'pose that it's experience of going from valves to s/s class A rather than from class B or A/B. Can't seem to find any info. on that one.

advertisement

Back