advertisement

speaker recommendation

If you like the Ela then why change ? Grass is not always greener and all that. Ela are a transmission line design are they not ? If so you need another TL :)

I would definitely be looking at a better preamp in that setup - Avondale / Naim or ANother. A better preamp will allow the whole system to perform better.

Good point!
When I auditioned ELA/sbl and others on the end of a 250 it was using NAC82 pre (which I still use today).

Good point!
When I auditioned ELA/sbl and others on the end of a 250 it was using NAC82 pre (which I still use today).

The 82 is a good preamp and within the OPs budget, say £800 for a nice s/h 82 and that leaves £700 plus the 122 and Avondale sale funds for a Power Supply (I would be looking towards a TeddyPardo SuperCap). Further down the line, get the 82 modified by Witch Hat for £450 to utlilise the SuperCap fully and you have ~80% of the performance of a 52....

real reason is Room refurbished........

wife wants matching colour scheme (ela's are black) and wants a replacement that doesn't dominate room too much, work fairly close to rear wall and doesn't look like an oil rig!

I know Ive got my work cut out to tick all boxes and I do like sound of ela's so its not that I don't like them to be honest.

don't know many speakers that are going to fulfil the criteria :(

unless someone knows different?, hence reaching out.....

I would change the pre-am to either a 72 or 82 & then look at some nice speakers with WAF.

Linn Keilidhs would be a decent choice, they work near wall.

SBLs would also work very well, easily doable for circa £500.

I personally found MK2 Ela's preferable to the MK1. As you like your mk2 , you could look for the same in the cherry finish. They do look nice in that finish and do seem to go for silly cheap money.
Otherwise some later Rega R7 or R9 for that lovely transmission line.

a replacement that doesn't dominate room too much, work fairly close to rear wall and doesn't look like an oil rig!
...I do like sound of ela's so its not that I don't like them to be honest .... don't know many speakers that are going to fulfil the criteria

Rega's new Kyte is not far away from launch, not sure if there will be colour options (if my memory serves the old Kyte sounded great with Naim). The current RX range (1,3,5) look good imo and shouldn't be fussy about positioning.

Rega's new Kyte is not that far away from launch, not sure if there will be colour options (if my memory serves the old Kyte sounded great with Naim). The current RX range (1,3,5) look good imo and shouldn't be fussy about positioning.

I've allways had my Rega speakers close to rear wall with good results
Rumours out they're working on a floorstand version of new Kyte

Rumours out they're working on a floorstand version of new Kyte

Had a similar discussion in the Rega room at Bristol. Development and tooling costs are high for the Kyte (50k+) and would be so much more for a floor standing version (a new Ela?).

May I ask what amps you have driving them? also how do you find the soundstage compared to more upright drivers?
I have an Onkyo P360rs/M560rs set powering them, the 306 was playing up, so swapped out for a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. The soundstage is excellent, the girls providing the doops on Walk on the Wild Side sound as though they’re in front of you. Mine are only 6ft apart, either side of a sideboard and I’d imagine they’d be even better with a bit more space

real reason is Room refurbished........

wife wants matching colour scheme (ela's are black) and wants a replacement that doesn't dominate room too much, work fairly close to rear wall and doesn't look like an oil rig!.
You don’t say what colour would be a preferred option, but if white might do it, Amphions are very room friendly and I love what they do. Mrs P-T finds the white of my Argon 7s reflect more light into the room than the black jobbies that preceded them.

You don’t say what colour would be a preferred option, but if white might do it, Amphions are very room friendly and I love what they do. Mrs P-T finds the white of my Argon 7s reflect more light into the room than the black jobbies that preceded them.

room wall are almost white with light oak laminate flooring so preferably looking at light oak or lighter

Proac studio 125s. Rega Elas are a competent mid range floorstander, but they really are not the be all and end all.

The new Wharfedale Dentons have also had very good notices.

advertisement

Back