advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
As it’s almost twenty years since the Hi-Fi News LS3/5a Shootout.
About time for another, I think.

Quite a few PFM members have said I’m the one who ought to organise it.
I wonder why...
Perhaps it’s because I’m ( almost ) always going on about LS3/5as.
I suppose I have stimulated a lot of discussion, and investigated their provenance, etc.

I re-read the Hi-Fi News article and feel that keeping to a similar format would work.
Of course, it would include more than the various LS3/5as available.
There are so many small speakers based on the ‘3/5a, or influenced by it.

A ‘line up’ would have to be organised, as well as source material and amplification.
A venue, easily accessible, would have to be found.
A ‘scoring system’ devised as well.
A selection of music.
The 2001 ‘Shootout’ system of auditioning seemed to work, so why change to something else.

I’m sure there are things I’ve forgotten, so any ideas/suggestions would be more than welcome.

Lots to think about.

Martyn Miles.

Dear Martyn,

Perhaps this isn't the best of times for mass gatherings. If I were you, I'd plan for an event taking place when Covid-19 policies have become less fragile (let's hope this is the case by next summer).

Splendid idea, BTW

Would be interesting, no doubt, and great if it was possible soon. Of course, a continuous flow of some updates is available as a new LS3/5a comes along but clearly not in a solid panel shootout fashion. This just prompted me to read Ken Kessler’s HiFi News update article on Rogers and Falcon (Sep 2019)

Thanks EPear.
You make a valid point.
Things are much more fluid on the small speaker front.

I currently have a project which involves components from two established manufacturers of the LS3/5a.

I have no doubt procedures can be worked out for something very similar to the 2001 Shootout.

As an aside, I noted that in the Shootout the Goodmans model was excluded.
You can look up the reasons given.
I briefly owned a pair of Goodmans, acquired for someone in Spain.
The Goodmans were excellent, up with the Audiomasters I owned at the time.

As does the Harwood.
There is a pair on eBay.
It would be interesting to hear a pair.

They also sell the baffles.
I have a pair of brand new, unused, LS3/5a cabinets that arrived recently.
Would be interesting to hear the baffles in genuine LS3/5a cabinets.

Harwood claim their model is based on the Rogers LS3/5a circa 1999, in respect of
tonal quality and measurements.

i’d love to get hold of a set of the Falcon version but they are so pricey. Does anyone have any info on their merits and is there is a cheaper and better type? Most likely will be hunting for a used set.

i’d love to get hold of a set of the Falcon version but they are so pricey. Does anyone have any info on their merits and is there is a cheaper and better type? Most likely will be hunting for a used set.

I was looking for a used set and quickly ascertained that there’d only been a couple of pairs come up in recent months. I ended buying an exdem pair from Zouch Audio for £2000 after a brief demo. I thought it was worth it as I’m intending to keep them for many years.

As to their merits, it’s worth noting that Ken Kessler of HFN describes them (along with the more expensive Rogers Classic) as the best LS3/5a he’s ever heard - aside from the sold-out 50 pairs of limited edition Falcon Kingswood Warren LS3/5a speakers.

As it’s almost twenty years since the Hi-Fi News LS3/5a Shootout.
About time for another, I think.
I re-read the Hi-Fi News article and feel that keeping to a similar format would work.
A ‘line up’ would have to be organised, as well as source material and amplification.
A venue, easily accessible, would have to be found.
A ‘scoring system’ devised as well.
A selection of music.

Would be nice to have a blinded comparison, just to keep everyone honest!

Which of the Harbeth range (if any) are still considered to be LS3/5A? I understood they made them at some stage. Are the P3 ESR's considered to be LS3/5As?

advertisement

Back