advertisement

Will this tablet allow Qobuz hi res streaming from the app?

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
I hope I’m right here!
I live in an Apple household, and as I realised quite quickly, AirPlay doesn’t allow an iOS device to stream hi res music to my Yamaha WXC-50 pre amp streamer. Annoyingly, the MusicCast app/Qobuz/WXC-50 combo won’t play gapless, which the Qobuz app on an iOS device will (just not in hi res.

So.... will this billy bargain:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...o-tab-e7-tablet-16-gb-black-10185478-pdt.html

allow me to download the Qobuz app and then stream hi res over WiFi to the Yamaha?
Storage doesn’t matter, as long as there’s room for the app, nothing else matters, unless you can convince me otherwise!

I don’t want adverts appearing or any other nastiness.

I can only get the Qobuz app to stream to Chromecast with my Lenovo Tab 8. I think because Yamaha integrated Qobuz in their firmware Qobuz have not developed their own app for Yamaha.

Bubbleupnp works fine, plays gapless. Licence is cheap. The only annoyance is that when the tablet goes to sleep the music stops! The longest sleep time is 30 mins.

I am looking at getting a Raspberry pi and setting it up as a LMS server. Once LMS has had an instruction to play an album or playlist it carries on without any reference to the tablet or other source. I have LMS on my PC but it is not convenient to use it all the time and I sit nearer the PC than the speakers so fan noise can be an issue during quiet passages.

Whats the issue you are facing Tony?

In summary:

Using MusicCast app, Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer will be hi res, but not Gapless.

Using Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer apps gives gapless, with good user interface, but ‘only’ in CD quality.

I want a cheap/cheapish tablet that will stream hi res to the Yamaha via WiFi using a Qobuz/Tidal/Deezer app, simply and cleanly.

I looked around the web a bit it appears that if you want quboz, i.e that is your main reason for the yammy then flog the yammy it does not do what you need and you are trying to bend it to your will. Poor software does not bend

I’ve said it before hifi companies are not good at making streamers. If you want great quboz integration there are a number of methods. One i implemented for a friend recently is a raspberry pie with Volumio on. Great software. I can walk you through it if you want to try.

Thanks but I’m afraid my wife would veto that in a picosecond.

Back to the original question, I suppose. Can an Android tablet stream from EITHER Tidal, Deezer or Qobuz over WiFi to the Yamaha, gapless?

I’ve said it before hifi companies are not good at making streamers. If you want great quboz integration there are a number of methods. One i implemented for a friend recently is a raspberry pie with Volumio on. Great software. I can walk you through it if you want to try.

I think Linn might have something to say about that statement... different price category to the Yamaha though!

Linns software is *ok* but the issue remains you spend a terrific amount of money for these streamers but actually you can do so much more for peanuts, i think hifi companies should focus on DACs but hey ho, choice is good I suppose.

Unless like the OP it does not actually work.

Linns software is *ok* but the issue remains you spend a terrific amount of money for these streamers but actually you can do so much more for peanuts, i think hifi companies should focus on DACs but hey ho, choice is good I suppose.

Unless like the OP it does not actually work.
Linn’s software works well and it’s fairly idiot proof (hence well suited to myself), I agree they’re expensive but they do sound superb, and without the need for a separate DAC. In fact the DSM units are a really well integrated solution, so if you just want great sound with minimal fuss, they’re a good option.

Agreed. Picked up a 2nd hand Majik DS/1 and it works beautifully with Qobuz. Great value used compared to new, definitely worth looking out for.
That’s the way to do it, I’ve seen the older Majik DS units for as little as £400 although not often and they don’t hang around at that price, but if you have £500-£1000 in hand and a little patience you will find a nice example that fits your budget.

Not what you want to hear but a used Bluesound Node (2 or 2i) ticks all your boxes and always did.
Good luck in finding a solution.

We were looking at those originally, back in April/May I think. Perhaps I need to go that way. Thanks for the reminder!

I stream Qobuz from my Samsung Android tablet, using Bubble UPnP software on the Samsung - works a treat (including gapless).
I see no reason why the Lenovo wouldn't work.

One i implemented for a friend recently is a raspberry pie with Volumio on. Great software. I can walk you through it if you want to try.

That was the 1st idea that came into my mind - use a RPi. Cheap and adaptable to a number of setups, albeit adding an extra box, but it is small. I would rather spend the £60 on the RPi than the tablet....

A second-hand Squeezebox Touch or a diy Rasppberry Pi based equivalent like this will cost you well less than £200 and will enable you to stream Qobuz or Tidal or your own music gaplessly and hires and control it from any phone, tablet or whatever on your network.

advertisement

Back