advertisement

Pre-amp recommendations

it would indeed be good to try a freya , their remote control is nowhere near as fine control as the bel canto pre 3 vbs , extraordinarily revealing pre amp . whether that would suit atc i am not sure

if the op was nearer i would bring over the bc to try but i fear not

i had the freya in the system

Back in early 2015 a nice chap came round to mine and bought my Bel Canto Pre3 off me - specifically for ATC actives (which I believe he'd gone all the way to the Borders to buy off a well-known pfmer) as there was talk then it was a good match. I didn't even have it up for sale, think I mentioned on the Wam that I was thinking of a valve pre and the Bel Canto would get moved on. I got the Project valve (output) preamp which for the money was excellent (I bought used) and again there was a bit of chat about at the time about using it into actives (tail end of the Opal trend that lots jumped on).

Thanks for all the recommendations, going to have a good read up on the various options over the weekend.

I've never used valves before so know little about them, but I like Tony's suggestion of using valves in this type of system. I currently have a Naim active system that I am keeping (long story), but this is to get a system as minimal box wise as possible that will be as good or better than the Naim system. Few cables, one stand and some audio nirvana hopefully. :D

I've never used valves before so know little about them, but I like Tony's suggestion of using valves in this type of system.

It really can be the best of both worlds IMO. Back when I had MEG RL-904s for a while I thought my Verdier pre did a good job, though ultimately the MEGs just didn’t suit my room so I went back to far larger passive Tannoys. A friend has a pair of Rogers LS5/8s, proper BBC ones with the active Quad 405s, plus he has a more modern pair of 3-way active Spendors (‘80s or ‘90s, but I forget the model, grey structure-coat finish and angled cabs). He has a Conrad Johnson preamp, a PV8 I think, and it sounds so much better than any solid state offering he’s tried (Naim, Denson, passive etc). It really works as a concept as active monitors tend to be designed for very dead studio control rooms and can sound a bit over-dry and analytical in a typical domestic space. The valve pre brings a little welcome scale, heft and warmth, plus as stated above I only really got to love CD rather than just tolerate it once I got some good valves in the system. No idea how, but it just loses the glare and that slightly ‘unsettling’ thing you can’t really put a finger on about so many solid state digital systems, but without losing anything at all.

I've been interested in this thread as I bought ATC active 40s last Nov from a pfm'er and then I bought a s/h ATC CDPre mk2 hoping for a simple high quality system and at that cost, my ultimate system.
I find the CD pre hard edged on some recordings and have reverted to my Leema DAC Pre which for the most part is more forgiving, but still detailed.
The ATC combo may be the 'truth', but I think I want something 'more beautiful'.
I think I will investigate a valve pre sometime..

Thanks for all the recommendations, going to have a good read up on the various options over the weekend.

I've never used valves before so know little about them, but I like Tony's suggestion of using valves in this type of system. I currently have a Naim active system that I am keeping (long story), but this is to get a system as minimal box wise as possible that will be as good or better than the Naim system. Few cables, one stand and some audio nirvana hopefully. :D
Be interesting to see how you get on with the comparison but does seem like quite a change of tack.

Preamps by BAT may be worth considering, black, one box and valve, the guy that owns Whest Audio uses one with a large pair of ATC active speakers.

AD Audio Satchmo. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Or buy a Michell Argo HR and have it upgraded to Vibe + a Pulse psu. It will fit within your budget.

Sources Hegel Mohican CD and Gyrorbe/RB330/Ania/Rega Fono MC
Speakers ATC SCM40As

What pre-amp would best complement the above?

Budget £3.5K must be one box and black.

What say you?
You want to audition a preamp with valves you wont look back.

Sources Hegel Mohican CD and Gyrorbe/RB330/Ania/Rega Fono MC
Speakers ATC SCM40As

What pre-amp would best complement the above?

Budget £3.5K must be one box and black.

What say you?
Check out Pathos Incontrol valve preamp. Have been using one of their integrated amps with a valve preamp section for the last 7 years never put a foot wrong. Have had full pre and multi power amps from Linn before. Pathos is a great audio amp company you wont find a bad review or word against their products.

There is no way around istening to different preamps in your set-up. For example, I had a highly regarded McIntosh C47 in my house that I did not like in my set-up at the time. I now have Quad ESL 57s and an EAR 516, so perhaps the C47 would now work well here. I am not telling you to go on the kind of wild goose chase that I went on, but merely that you decide on your basic set-up and then try out new components. You have active speakers and that is a nice starting point, but don't expect every single preamp mentioned here to suit your taste.

As for XLR in-/outputs on the AD Audio Satchmo, I am sure that David would be able to do that for you.

I've been interested in this thread as I bought ATC active 40s last Nov from a pfm'er and then I bought a s/h ATC CDPre mk2 hoping for a simple high quality system and at that cost, my ultimate system.
I find the CD pre hard edged on some recordings and have reverted to my Leema DAC Pre which for the most part is more forgiving, but still detailed.
The ATC combo may be the 'truth', but I think I want something 'more beautiful'.
I think I will investigate a valve pre sometime..[/QUOT

I recently picked up a Quad 34 (RCA version) which I'm running in to SCM19A's. I was previously running and M-DAC and EAR 834P direct into the ATC's (well, via an input selector), but I am really, really liking the combo of the Quad and the ATC's. Maybe it lacks a bit of the slam of the direct (no pre) setup, but there is a delicacy and air to the treble with the Quad, which is really lovely. Also impressed with the phono stage, so much so that I haven't reverted back to the EAR for comparison, yet.

Linn Klimax Kontrol - more often found in silver than black, but if you wait... silver ones go for less than £3k nowadays. Superb pre.

Mick

There is no way around istening to different preamps in your set-up. For example, I had a highly regarded McIntosh C47 in my house that I did not like in my set-up at the time. I now have Quad ESL 57s and an EAR 516, so perhaps the C47 would now work well here. I am not telling you to go on the kind of wild goose chase that I went on, but merely that you decide on your basic set-up and then try out new components. You have active speakers and that is a nice starting point, but don't expect every single preamp mentioned here to suit your taste.

As for XLR in-/outputs on the AD Audio Satchmo, I am sure that David would be able to do that for you.
good point , always had satchmo on list to try.

@triggers I may be looking at moving on my MasterSound PHL5 pre if that's of interest (runs ecc82s & 83s). Only moving on as looking to upgrade and have something coming for a weeks audition (but it will have to be pretty special for me to sell the MasterSounD). If I do decide to sell would be happy to let you have a listen in your system to see if it floats your boat.

advertisement

Back