advertisement

Coffee grinders

Snufkin

pfm Member
I am not sure if there has been a thread about coffee grinders, there must have been, but I am thinking of getting one. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here so what would you recommend?

This has all come about as my local Waitrose have recently had a section that sells various products by weight (rice, pasta, muesli, seeds, dried fruit and COFFEE BEANS); you bring your own container or use one of their paper bags. Among the goodies available was a machine to grind theses beans to your particular need – coarse to fine. All was going smoothly until the machine broke down and now head office are debating that if, because of the virus, they can take the risk of having a machine used by all and sundry. I have discovered what many of you knew already, freshly ground coffee is so much better than stuff that was ground in the dim and distant past, so I need a machine.

For example the Melitta Molino Electric Coffee Burr Grinder has come onto my radar but it’s a little more than I was thinking of paying; is it worth it or is it junk?

So what do Fishies recommend?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Here’s a thread to read while waiting for the replies to roll in!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/best-coffee-grinder.201746/

FWIW I have a second-hand Eureka Mignon and I love it.

Doh! Beaten to it - shouldn’t have wasted time adding my own grinder to the post...

Here’s another thread; this time the OP asked for recommendations around £40, ie the sort of level you are considering. (I haven’t read the responses, but I bet grinders up to around £100 were suggested...)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coffee-grinder-up-to-£40.188679/

I've got one of these Krups ones. It was around the same price as the one you're looking at when I got it, about £50. I've been pleased with it. Though I'm not sure how you get at the internal gubbins for cleaning, or even if you're supposed to, so I haven't. It works fine, grinds consistently. It's worth a little experimentation with the coarseness of the grind for your own particular coffee maker. It makes quite a difference and when you get one you're happy with, it seems not to drift.

Any local roasters round your parts? That's the next step. A couple of good ones in Manchester: Heart and Graft, and Mancoco, which are a significant step up from supermarket offerings.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My problem with grind-your-own is that I never end up with exactly the correct amount of ground beans. Is there a magic formula, or should I simply bring too much, and tip the excess into the bean bag?

I am not sure if there has been a thread about coffee grinders, there must have been, but I am thinking of getting one. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here so what would you recommend?

This has all come about as my local Waitrose have recently had a section that sells various products by weight (rice, pasta, muesli, seeds, dried fruit and COFFEE BEANS); you bring your own container or use one of their paper bags. Among the goodies available was a machine to grind theses beans to your particular need – coarse to fine. All was going smoothly until the machine broke down and now head office are debating that if, because of the virus, they can take the risk of having a machine used by all and sundry. I have discovered what many of you knew already, freshly ground coffee is so much better than stuff that was ground in the dim and distant past, so I need a machine.

For example the Melitta Molino Electric Coffee Burr Grinder has come onto my radar but it’s a little more than I was thinking of paying; is it worth it or is it junk?

So what do Fishies recommend?
I have one, it works perfectly fine.

More than anything else, it will depend on your method of brewing, which will define the grind that is needed, which will point you at one grinder or another.

Also, how often are you going to be using it? I am an occasional coffee-drinker so need an easily cleaned one. If you drink 6 cups a day, every day, ease of cleaning matters little.

Almost whatever I buy, from wherever, I check the reviews on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R7HKAWC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It is rated marginally ahead of the Krupps, which I use and find perfectly OK after modification to grind coarser, for a cafetiere.

My problem with grind-your-own is that I never end up with exactly the correct amount of ground beans. Is there a magic formula, or should I simply bring too much, and tip the excess into the bean bag?
Compost

Groan.
Can’t we have these boring consumer white goods requests and their responses as stickies?

Groan.
Can’t we have these boring consumer white goods requests and their responses as stickies?
I take a more laissez-faire attitude - if I see a thread entitled for example 'coffee grinders', and I am not interested in coffee grinders, then I don't bother replying, avoid the thread and let those who are interested get on with it. Thus leaving me more time to compose stunning bon mots for other threads.

Vintage Kenwood Chef A 701 with the official coffee grinder is still going well for us.

Inherited from the MIL and doubles up for milling bread on the finest setting.

Do you have the technology to weigh out the desired amount of beans?

Thanks all, looks like I need to read the thread but the first machine mentioned is a little steep for me but it does go back a few years.
More than anything else, it will depend on your method of brewing, which will define the grind that is needed, which will point you at one grinder or another.

Also, how often are you going to be using it? I am an occasional coffee-drinker so need an easily cleaned one. If you drink 6 cups a day, every day, ease of cleaning matters little.

Almost whatever I buy, from wherever, I check the reviews on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R7HKAWC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It is rated marginally ahead of the Krupps, which I use and find perfectly OK after modification to grind coarser, for a cafetiere.
Thanks, that's useful. I tend to use a filter or a metal cone so a coarse grind is prefered.

Vintage Kenwood Chef A 701 with the official coffee grinder is still going well for us.

Inherited from the MIL and doubles up for milling bread on the finest setting.

Do you have the technology to weigh out the desired amount of beans?

No but a good point; all my culinary efforts rely on guestimates.

Thanks, that's useful. I tend to use a filter or a metal cone so a coarse grind is prefered.

In my limited experience, cheaper machines, Krupps included, produce an uneven grind - you will always get fines, even if you want/set a coarse grind. But how uneven varies. I have modified my Krupps (very easy to do) to give very little sediment through a cafetiere mesh when producing a grind aimed at a little coarser than granulated sugar. As sold, I got lots of sediment through, using the Krupps.

You are far less limited in choice by not wanting expresso or what mounts to ultra-fine grind.

No but a good point; all my culinary efforts rely on guestimates.
I'm with you in most cases, but not coffee. There are a lot of variables involved, so you want to eliminate as many as you can as you experiment. I use a small electronic balance, a fiver on eBay if that. My doses are 15g, BTW.

I bought one after experimenting with a grinder in an Air BnB apartment in NYC a couple of years ago. But it goes largely unused because the the coffee it produces seems not just weak, but positively watery. I must be doing something wrong....

advertisement

Back