advertisement

George Michael - Older

oldius

Manchester City, dogs, family and food.
I have spent the last couple of weeks putting my LP collection on to Discogs. I have a minty copy of Older by George Michael - minty because I have never really played it, and I was amazed to see the smallest price for it, in lesser condition, at more than £500. What makes it worth so much?

CD-era album, predominantly non-audiophile audience, limited pressing. Roll on 24 years and its a very rare record. That 1995-2000 period contains much of today’s most valuable vinyl as so few bought it and such limited numbers were pressed. Add to that the generally mediocre quality (no groove-guard profile, brutal hard card inners etc) and little of what was pressed remains in mint condition. That equates to £££ value!

CD-era album, predominantly non-audiophile audience, limited pressing. Roll on 24 years and its a very rare record. That 1995-2000 period contains much of today’s most valuable vinyl as so few bought it and such limited numbers were pressed. Add to that the generally mediocre quality (no groove-guard profile, brutal hard card inners etc) and little of what was pressed remains in mint condition. That equates to £££ value!

I had absolutely no idea!

If you scroll down the page
10 of the most collectable (and valuable) vinyl records
you will see:

Release: LP, Virgin, V2802

Year: 1996

Value £400-500

When it comes to collectability, the passing of an artist can heighten the prices of already rare records. George Michael’s third solo LP Older sold millions of copies on CD, but there was only a tiny run on vinyl for the entire European market.

Copies have changed hands for up to £800, and this really is an LP you could stumble upon in your own collection – people just don’t realise how rare it is.

Pretty much any rock/pop vinyl in your collection from that ‘95-00 period is likely worth a few quid, most decent stuff is £50 and up in mint condition as everyone was buying CD. It is often the opposite with very early-CD-era stuff in the early-80s where the first CD pressings are usually worth a lot more than the far more common vinyl, but that is still a niche market as most folk don’t recognise early pressings from reissues.

Pretty much any rock/pop vinyl in your collection from that ‘95-00 period is likely worth a few quid, most decent stuff is £50 and up in mint condition as everyone was buying CD. It is often the opposite with very early-CD-era stuff in the early-80s where the first CD pressings are usually worth a lot more than the far more common vinyl, but that is still a niche market as most folk don’t recognise early pressings from reissues.

In the world of pricey records, there is truly no accounting for taste. Same in the classical world, some of the pricest are early pressings of the most tedious old potboilers imaginable.

My daughter and I loved this when it was released. I still have the CD. No TT at that time, I can't imagine it is worth anything as was the music for summer BBQs, so probably still has some ancient chipotle salsa on the cover.

Love this album, and purchased it at the time on LP and CD. Must check my LP as I can’t remember what actual condition isn’t in - I expect it to be pretty good as I look after my stuff...

I have spent the last couple of weeks putting my LP collection on to Discogs. I have a minty copy of Older by George Michael - minty because I have never really played it, and I was amazed to see the smallest price for it, in lesser condition, at more than £500. What makes it worth so much?

Let me know if you want to sell it.

I have a copy but I am looking for another.
My copy has pressing noise.

Interested to know how it plays? Clean and surface noise free?

My daughter and I loved this when it was released. I still have the CD. No TT at that time, I can't imagine it is worth anything as was the music for summer BBQs, so probably still has some ancient chipotle salsa on the cover.

Although I never liked Wham or any of George Michaels other releases I heard via the radio, I think Older is an excellent album, I'd love a copy on LP but doubt if I'll ever get one unless a re-release is issued.

Although I never liked Wham or any of George Michaels other releases I heard via the radio, I think Older is an excellent album, I'd love a copy on LP but doubt if I'll ever get one unless a re-release is issued.

I have been longing for a reissue for decades.

A remaster would be better as the sibilance gets on my pip.

Be interesting to see how the c.d. does on that Dynamic Range Database?

Patiently waiting for this to get a reissue. Missed a mnt copy for £300 before Christmas due to procrastination. Ggrrrr!

Let me know if you want to sell it.

I have a copy but I am looking for another.
My copy has pressing noise.

Interested to know how it plays? Clean and surface noise free?

It will be. I haven't played it in a decade. It's been in a plastic wallet since I got it and I don't remember any noise. I may give it another try soon.

Patiently waiting for this to get a reissue. Missed a mnt copy for £300 before Christmas due to procrastination. Ggrrrr!

Don’t miss this one…

There are a few coloured vinyl editions that have sold out already.
I think the standard black isn’t a limited edition, so no sweats.

I would like to know how limited the Boxset is???

I loved Listen without Prejudice when it came out but didn’t follow him after that. Spinning Older now. Dark and beautiful. A shame that he didn’t stay around to dig deeper.I think an older George Michael may have produced other equally interesting albums. Shame. A ferociously talented singer.

advertisement

Back