advertisement

Clandestine Channel Threat Commander

Some useful polling data on YouGov which pretty much stands as a voter xenophobia barometer. It is let down somewhat IMO by not including the racist far-right parties (Brexit Party, UKIP etc) which obtained a few percent of the vote last election (about 660k votes between them in 2019 IIRC, & 3.8m in 2015 link) so there are a shed-load off the map somewhere or now lurking in the main parties. The Greens, & PC were also not counted for some reason.

I realise, as ever, it is a small sample-group, but even so I’d want the far-right and for that matter Greens/PC etc to be counted as their own individual things. My interest as much as anything in all of this is in trying to figure out just how many of the far-right flag-wavers and Yaxley Lennon thug marchers are now actually in the Tory mainstream? How successfully has the party recruited them? I am certain they have learned some tricks from Trump and the ‘Tea Party’, but how much exactly?

Some useful polling data on YouGov which pretty much stands as a voter xenophobia barometer. It is let down somewhat IMO by not including the racist far-right parties (Brexit Party, UKIP etc) which obtained a few percent of the vote last election (about 660k votes between them in 2019 IIRC, & 3.8m in 2015 link) so there are a shed-load off the map somewhere or now lurking in the main parties. The Greens, & PC were also not counted for some reason.

I don't know what you're looking at (the link goes to a poll on 'Channel migrants') but all the main parties are in the poll from last week (I think it's safe to assume UKIP and other right-wing parties are in the 1% "Other"):
Voting%20intention%204-5%20Aug%202020-01.png

I realise, as ever, it is a small sample-group, but even so I’d want the far-right and for that matter Greens/PC etc to be counted as their own individual things. My interest as much as anything in all of this is in trying to figure out just how many of the far-right flag-wavers and Yaxley Lennon thug marchers are now actually in the Tory mainstream? How successfully has the party recruited them? I am certain they have learned some tricks from Trump and the ‘Tea Party’, but how much exactly?
I think the Tories’ steady polling around the mid-40s means that they’ve successfully absorbed the Faragist far right. UKIP/Brexit Party will however be reactivated when the Conservative Party needs to be pulled even further to the right and the spiteful pensioner vote needs to be radicalised still further.

That poll you link to is really depressing but I don’t think it’s a “proper” poll. Think it’s a live, internet thing that tends to attract the Very Online and right wing activists. I wonder has it been done in good faith, because it will be used to justify the main parties taking an even more right wing position (“But the people demand the batsh-t, sadistic treatment of refugees! Look at the polls!”)

The degree to which political polling actually influences politics isn’t properly considered by (most) journalists or (most) politicians, although I’m sure the smarter journalists and politicians know exactly what they’re doing.

Seanm states: and the spiteful pensioner vote needs to be radicalised.

Crikey Seanm going by your Avatar you’re not exactly in the first flush of youth yourself.

Comin’ over ‘ere with yer facts, balanced perspective ‘n’ logic.... we’ll be avin’ none of that thank you.

PS BROWN PEOPLE.... IN A BOAT!!!

I'm a pensioner. In exactly what way am I spiteful?

Seanm states: and the spiteful pensioner vote needs to be radicalised.

Crikey Seanm going by your Avatar you’re not exactly in the first flush of youth yourself.

I don’t think all pensioners are spiteful of course, and I resent my own awful generation more than I do the boomers, but you’re right, it’s ageist. Apologies, I take it back.

Don't forget figures out today for the UK. Economy down 21% worst in Europe after Spain at 22%. Pritti willingly taking one for the team to deflect all the brexit and Tory fans from the real realities and threats facing the country.

I don’t think all pensioners are spiteful of course, and I resent my own awful generation more than I do the boomers, but you’re right, it’s ageist. Apologies, I take it back.
Noting that you've taken it back, and not wishing to prolong the argument, but I read your term 'the spiteful pensioner vote' as being very much a subset of 'the pensioner vote', ie you were not implying all, or even most, pensioners are spiteful, simply that the government sought to attract the support of those who are. It's not ageist to acknowledge that there are enough of these to be worth attracting, is it?

advertisement

Back