advertisement

CD vs Vinyl prices?

I used to prefer CD to vinyl for its convenience but not it’s also for availability and cost reasons.
I also realized lately that with the huge evolution of external DAC, sound quality is so good now that I don’t really miss the organic sound of vinyl anymore.

I also realized lately that with the huge evolution of external DAC, sound quality is so good now that I don’t really miss the organic sound of vinyl anymore.

Via my £2.6k DAC CD is now roughly on a par with my 1966 record deck! I’m perfectly happy with both formats and they sit well together, some music favouring one over the other.

PS If starting from scratch I’d just use streaming as the cost of getting back where I am after a lifetime of collecting would just be absurd, though I’d always feel something was missing. The ‘collector’ aspect has always been part of my mindset and I’d really miss not having the beautiful artefacts.

I can shell out for a vinyl version if it's something like AAA double 45's wich beats everything else on SQ. If I pick up the wallet I might as well do it properly!

The digital era when it comes to vinyl started in 1978 when Neumann started selling a digital delay to replace the extra head used on the tape machines when cutting a record.

IMy taste is for the very limited obscure self-produced or small-label stuff, that stuff is well worth the asking price and tends to become very valuable. As an example of the 10 or so LPs I’ve bought this year three have either hand painted or screen-printed covers.

Just out of interest, whereabouts does one look for these sorts of things? Id love to own some more bespoke-y LPs!

Just out of interest, whereabouts does one look for these sorts of things? Id love to own some more bespoke-y LPs!

All over really, I just seem to like music on the fringes. Some of the stuff I mentioned above I actually found from threads here, e.g. Andy Hay, The Utopia Strong, others e.g. Mugstar, The Comet Is Coming etc I knew of already.

Yes. I bought a CD box from Sainsburys for about 2 or 3 quid called Art of Jazz 1959.
It had 6 classic albums on it, including Miles Davis KOB and Coltrane Blue Train.
The sq on the KOB was so good I took it to a hifi dem. Even the sales guy was amazed at how such budget material could compliment his thousands of quids worth of gear so well.

That shows a disappointing ignorance of both the record business and the technology behind CD replication.

The price difference puts me off buying LPs, plus I dropped the last new LP I bought in January the first time I played it. It slipped from my fingers as I turned it over and the spindle scratched it. Klutz ! :(
Begs the question why is the top of the spindle of my LP12 rough?

For me it's definitely reached the point where I'm feeling that new vinyl prices are starting to take the piss. Combined with the ( far too often) poor quality of mastering and manufacturing my vinyl buying has almost stopped. I might have bought three LPs this year ( and one of those was disappointing).
It seems that you have to buy an audiophile pressing if you want quality but you pay a premium for it. I'm not prepared to pay some of those outrageous prices. Maybe new pressings are like Tesco 'everyday' products and audiophile pressings are the 'finest' range. :)

second-hand charity shop - 3 c.d's for a quid. I gave them £1.50 because I can.

Picked up a Ting Tings album that I haven't heard (3rd album I think)
plus a Kanye West album and Version by Mark Ronson (fab album, have the vinyl but not the c.d.)

In the used market c.d's are cheap as chips. Cheaper than chips to be honest. I like chips.

edit: it was The Ting Tings - Sounds From Nowheresville, and it is awful. Nothing like We Started Nothing and Super Critical, which are great pop albums.

I am going to put that on the 'Pass on to Daughter' pile.

Last edited:
The quality of vinyl can be so piss-poor these days that unless it's a brand such as Speakers Corner or Mofi I ain't touching it. Also, buying used vinyl is fraught with danger.

Anyway, why buy vinyl over CD when it's a generation further away from the master?

advertisement

Back