advertisement

Clandestine Channel Threat Commander

UK being nearly as good a place to live in as France and Germany (lived in all 3, just my opinion), I am not sure the silly comments about immigrants turning up to UK to find everything is shit have any cred at all...any thoughts? As I understand, they get a tough time in France because the white people are actually more racist here than they are in the UK. It seems insitutionliased too. I experience it myself. Every civil dept seems to have the same attitude as UK Home Office - vile, you're not from round here so piss off. You can't have what you asked for. Not sure about Germany but the megabuses are always getting turned over at the border, luggage raped, papers checked, dark skinned people looking weary on the street as their dignity is compromised. So I assume Germans are not that great either.

Many years ago, in a Barry Humphries' 'Barry MacKenzie' cartoon in Private Eye, I came across the Australian phrase for someone who continually criticises his own country: 'Always crying stinking fish in his own backyard'

I read that 23 Tory MPs and 2 peers wrote to Priti Patel yesterday urging her to even more cruel racist action against asylum seekers crossing the Channel. Has anyone found a list of the signatories to the letter?

UK being nearly as good a place to live in as France and Germany (lived in all 3, just my opinion), I am not sure the silly comments about immigrants turning up to UK to find everything is shit have any cred at all...any thoughts? As I understand, they get a tough time in France because the white people are actually more racist here than they are in the UK. It seems insitutionliased too. I experience it myself. Every civil dept seems to have the same attitude as UK Home Office - vile, you're not from round here so piss off. You can't have what you asked for. Not sure about Germany but the megabuses are always getting turned over at the border, luggage raped, papers checked, dark skinned people looking weary on the street as their dignity is compromised. So I assume Germans are not that great either.
It would be interesting to see a poll like this for Germany, say:

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1293196614266507267?s=21

According to that, almost exactly half of all British people are, not to put too fine a point on it, complete c_nts. That seems very high to me. I’m an optimist so I don’t think that you get one in two people acting like a c_nt by accident, it takes work. That’s where the media come in and the UK’s media really is awful, in general I mean but on this particular issue it’s completely unhinged.

British racism is engineered and top down and this is a big part of what makes it such a sh*thole, IMO: people in power actively trying to make the country as mean spirited as possible.

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1292942158740312064?s=21

According to that, almost exactly half of all British people are, not to put too fine a point on it, complete c_nts. That seems very high to me. I’m an optimist so I don’t think that you get one in two people acting like a c_nt by accident, it takes work. That’s where the media come in and the UK’s media really is awful, in general I mean but on this particular issue it’s completely unhinged.

British racism is engineered and top down and this is a big part of what makes it such a sh*thole, IMO: people in power actively trying to make the country as mean spirited as possible.

What is at the top in the UK, the media?

What I feel in France and Germany is protoectionist nationalism....their version of the hate is lurking in that. Not sure if that is top down or bottom up

But my point really is that I cannot see how a Syrian refugee could say UK was shit versus Germany eg. It's not going to be significantly different for them

I sympathise with the media point, but it's completely one-dimensional. The knot that needs to be cut is the dynamic wherein politicians (going back decades) actually do what they think will play well - right or wrong.

The risk with the narrative of "engineering" and "top-down" is that it (a) assumes a kind of unfalsifiable conspiracy theory and (b) based on that, exempts the poster from actually doing anything about it.

I guess from the perspective of someone who represents precisely why the British left is now likely to be out of power for a generation, it also absolves the sin.

What is at the top in the UK, the media?

What I feel in France and Germany is protoectionist nationalism....their version of the hate is lurking in that. Not sure if that is top down or bottom up

But my point really is that I cannot see how a Syrian refugee could say UK was shit versus Germany eg. It's not going to be significantly different for them
Press plus Conservative Party, essentially. Barely any point distinguishing them.

Can’t really speak to the comparative shitness of refugee life here vs Germany but what I think makes the UK special is a governing party that positively boasts about making the country as unpleasant as possible for refugees and other vulnerable groups.

I agree that the press is vile but newspaper readership is on the wane and has been for years.

On the UK v Germany point, I think we need to look at a bit of the auld empirical evidence.

We are fortunate to have the example whereby both countries opened themselves up to mass immigration to ease labour shortages in the post-war era.

Last time I looked the Chancellor was British Asian and the time before that; in contrast the millions of Turkish Guest-workers, some of whom are the third generation to be born in Germany, still have no right to citizenship.

I agree that the press is vile but newspaper readership is on the wane and has been for years.

On the UK v Germany point, I think we need to look at a bit of the auld empirical evidence.

We are fortunate to have the example whereby both countries opened themselves up to mass immigration to ease labour shortages in the post-war era.

Last time I looked the Chancellor was British Asian and the time before that; in contrast the millions of Turkish Guest-workers, some of whom are the third generation to be born in Germany, still have no right to citizenship.
Next to my warehouse, the landlord's son was growing pot in a storage room (he's about my age). There were hmmm 5 police vans and about 20 officers here when I turned up to work one day...WTF is going on I asked? Oh he did not have up to date papers and is in big trouble, I was told. And he is German! The weed was the side story...out of date papers was the main beef. If you are froeign, you must be an easy taget for that kind of stuff.

Press plus Conservative Party, essentially. Barely any point distinguishing them.

Can’t really speak to the comparative shitness of refugee life here vs Germany but what I think makes the UK special is a governing party that positively boasts about making the country as unpleasant as possible for refugees and other vulnerable groups.
Can you compare ÚK to anywhere else as a place to live? I used to slag Uk off when I left for Thailand at 26. I don't any more, though. It has its issues, but overall it's not too bad.

And as if by magic, Nigel pops up in The Telegraph: It's time to declare an emergency in the Channel - Real Australia-style action needs to come soon, as taxpayers know what is going on is unacceptable and amounts to a national humiliation.

There's that humiliation word again.

Nearly a 1000 'comments' from Nigel's fan club.
We’s Sovereigns Equal and we’s been disrespected. Not ‘avin it.

I can only find one name: Sir John Hayes (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-mps-priti-patel-asylum-seekers-a9664871.html) who chairs the 'group' of 25.
A right roaster,

oa9Dzi8.jpg

Can you compare ÚK to anywhere else as a place to live? I used to slag Uk off when I left for Thailand at 26. I don't any more, though. It has its issues, but overall it's not too bad.
Sure, there’s lots to like. It’s just a shame that from here on in absolutely everything is going to be accompanied by the kind of overtly racist soundtrack we’re hearing at the moment. Tories/press are going to make sure of because it’s all they’ve got.

So, to recap; economic reopening failing, coronavirus cases back up at over 1000 a day, but look... SOME BROWN PEOPLE IN A DINGHY!

advertisement

Back