advertisement

Numpty bike maintenance question

The freewheel on my bike is missing loads of cogs meaning half the gears aren't useable without the chain slipping.

The cambio post(?) is marked Shimano SIS Tourney. The freewheel is six speed so I think I need one of these (though I'm not certain!):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XV284Z/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

What are my chances of buying the correct part and then actually being able to fit it? Are there any obvious gotchas? I realise I need to buy a tool to remove the freewheel.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just in case it wasn’t part of the plan, change your chain as well. Your current chain has ‘moulded’ to fit that freewheel. It won’t match with a new one and will jump all over the place.

It’s also worth checking the number of teeth on each cog of your current freewheel. A replacement could be different, which may or may not suit you depending on how you get on with your current spread of gears.

The one you’ve linked to looks like what you’ve described, but if in doubt, St. John Street Cycles (linked to above) are very helpful and carry good stocks.

regards

Kevin

Look for a reference number on the old one. There are loads of videos on YouTube. You will need a special socket or wrench.

Oh and cambio post is just Italian for rear (posteriore) change (cambio).

Oh yes, change the chain too. It too will be worn out, it will slip and if you ignore this it will prematurely wear the new part. I presume the chainwheel (front gears) are ok? Check for excessive wear.

Looks like the right part to me. You'll need something like this to remove the freewheel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B6RGXG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20
As another poster said get a new chain - they're very cheap - can be any brand - KMC, Shimano, SRAM so long as it's 6 speed compatible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AOA3PS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20.
You'll need a chain splitter tool. In the unfortunate event that you need to remove the wheel axle to get the spline tool to engage with the freewheel you'll also need cone spanners.

I'd be tempted to get a quote from a local bike shop unless you really want to do it yourself - should be a very quick job for someone with the tools + experience. (I'd do it myself, but I enjoy this type of stuff).

Thanks for the suggestions and the SJS recommendation. I hadn't considered changing the chain so that's good to know.

I would prefer to do it myself (and hopefully learn something) though I'm also conscious that it may not be worth the investment in tools.

Thanks for the suggestions and the SJS recommendation. I hadn't considered changing the chain so that's good to know.

I would prefer to do it myself (and hopefully learn something) though I'm also conscious that it may not be worth the investment in tools.

It’s not that difficult and quite satisfying. Depends on how often you plan to use the bike whether it would be worth the investment in tools.
There’s quite a few bike enthusiasts on pfm. Maybe someone close by has the tools and experience.
I’m in Oxford if that’s any help.

Kevin

You're in the sort of area that might have a bike clinic type thing, where you can take your bike and the replacement bits but use their tools to do the work.

Not sure if there's any of those government bike repair vouchers still available, I've not looked into them, maybe that is an option?

Yes, I was hopeful about the bike vouchers - £50 seems like it would cover the work (and tbh probably about the value of the bike!) - but they seem to be allocated immediately when they're released so I don't hold out much hope.

I have never worked on an integrated cassette/freehub so I will defer to others that have (it seems that a chain whip is not required?), however you will also either need a chain tool to punch out a link or some chain pliers to take out a quick link (you can do it without, but it's fiddly and hard) to remove the chain.

I suspect that if the cassette is worn that badly, you should also check your chainrings - the toothed rings which the pedals attach to - if they are excessively worn they will kill your new chain within 50 miles or so. I once foolishly agreed to refurb a relatively new bike for someone for their birthday. I doscovered she didn't seem to know of the existence of chain lube and every single moving part (including the wheel and bottom bracket bearings) was completely worn out and the chain so worn it was sharp to the touch.

If you're still in that London, I can highly recommend the London Bicycle Repair Workshop in Farringdon. I suspect your bike may be in more critical condition than you think.

I had a hell of a job getting the cassette off my bike. In the end I had to put the cassette in a vice with some soft wood to protect the teeth and then use an adjustable spanner with 18 inches of steel tube over the end for extra leverage to turn the special unlocking tool mentioned earlier by someone. My chain wrench was useless and just bent out of shape when I tried that method.
If you’re not really wanting a challenge a bike shop would do it in a few minutes I imagine.

Freewheels can be a nightmare to remove. As you pedal you tighten the fixing, add any corrosion and they can be seized solid. Perhaps this is a bike shop job.

It is a good idea to grease the thread before fitting a new one. Something containing copper will prevent seizing.

The more modern cassette system has many advantages. If you ever need a new wheel go for one with a cassette fitting if possible.

It's not numpty at all, there's a plethora of different designs out there. There's always a special tool for the job with bikes, if you don't have it then it can be a major headache. What you need is one of these (there are others with handles on). It will fit into the splines on the inside of the freewheel. You can try to use a big adjustable spanner if you have one, or else put the flats in the jaws a vice and turn the wheel. If the hub was greased it should come off. SJS is out of stock but you'll get one cheaper here.

https://www.ukbikefactory.com/fat-spanner-freewheel-remover.html

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-tools/bikehut-freewheel-tool-164131.html

Otherwise a shop would probably do it for you if you were to buy the new one, it might save you cash, and skinned knuckles ;)

870.jpg

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/shimano-tlfw30-multiple-freewheel-remover/

Last edited:
The more modern cassette system has many advantages. If you ever need a new wheel go for one with a cassette fitting if possible.

Unfortunately any newer bike with 7 or fewer gears at the rear will be freewheel only in my experience. I haven't seen 7 speed freehubs on a new bike since the 1990s.

I may have one of those Shimano freewheel tools.PM me if you'd like to borrow it.

Be prepared for blood, sweat and tears when removing the freewheel. As you pedal, you tighten it onto the hub, so it gets very screwed on. Don't use an adjustable spanner to remove the freewheel, use a fixed spanner, they seem to be more efficient.

Or if you have a good vice attached to a very solid workbench put the freewheel remover in the vice and pull on the wheel rim to unscrew the freewheel.

I may have one of those Shimano freewheel tools.PM me if you'd like to borrow it.

Be prepared for blood, sweat and tears when removing the freewheel. As you pedal, you tighten it onto the hub, so it gets very screwed on. Don't use an adjustable spanner to remove the freewheel, use a fixed spanner, they seem to be more efficient.

I use a big Bahco 15 inch, usually does the trick ;) I don't suggest buying one though for one job.

If there’s a decent bike shop in the vicinity, personally I’d be tempted to give them the business. Like all small businesses at the moment, I suspect Covid and lockdown gave them a bit of a kicking. Nice to put a little bit of something their way. Probably little more than the cost of the special tools and the parts anyway. Leave the fun jobs for yourself, maybe, but not this one?

advertisement

Back