advertisement

Thoughts on my HiFI and why I think I enjoy it more, and no it's not the best you can get.

Hi,

Being in the fortunate, or maybe unfortunate, position of having a number of systems I think there is no one system that is best, they are just different.

I currently have Linn, Naim and Quad (valve) electronics, along with Linn and Shahinian speakers and of course an LP12 :D

The sources used are LP12/Ittok/Karma, Well Tempered Amadeus GTAA/Dynavector XXII MK2, Linn Majik DS and Naim CD5i, I accept there are better or more detailed sources, but they are not massive differences in what you get when you upgrade, just a different presentation and slightly more detail, of course I accept some will say these differences are huge.

When I swap around and use different parts I usually find that it is the presentation that changes more, not so much the detail in the content. What I mean by that is the soundstage and listenabilty of the system that changes more rather than the recording content. Basically what I have looked for is to get something that I listen to the music rather than the system.

Granted sometimes you will get an a marked increase in some part of the recorded detail or frequency, when this happens I have found it makes you think that other parts are now missing and so the search begins for that next upgrade.

Whatever speakers I use or have used, using pre/amps from the following three companies to me gives the following types of presentations, other equipment I would think would give broadly similar results I assume.

Linn electronics are detailed, fast and give a flat photographic presentation showing up very easily the recording to be good or bad sometimes making you listen to the way it was recorded rather than the music content, but not in all recordings, some would say accurate is best, other prefer listenability over accuracy. Can make your favourite recording sound not as good as you thought it would be.

Naim electronics, maybe not as fast as the Linns, has a nice pace to the music with some depth to the soundstage, makes some music sound amazing and some unlistenable to in the same way the Linns do, overall has all the PRAT that people go on about, in your face a little at times to the extent of turning it down when being played, can be a bit tiring after a long session listening.

The Quads very easy to listen to on any recording, very open and gives a better impression of something happening in the room than the other two with amazing depth and width to the soundstage. First system I have had that I listen to all the recording rather than just a few selected tracks. I now listen a wider variety of music than ever before with the valve amps.

I would add that the first real system I had was an TD150, SME Series 3, Supex, Leak Stereo 20, cannot remember the pre amp, into Quad ELS57's, that was something else, if only I had the room now for something similar.

I can hear people say it will be your room, your speakers, source or some other part, however to counter that I would say I have listened to and had different systems in different houses over the many years I have been interested in HiFi.

My point being that in all the systems I have had there never was the best, they all had something that needed upgrading that was felt to be missing or I did not like.

Why do I have so many bits, well I tend to keep most of the bits I like, whatever their differences and I am at an age now where I have the time to play about with different variations of equipment for fun and out of interest.

I still say that the best, to my ears speaker wise are ELS57's, Linn Kans, Isobariks and of course any Shahinian. But that is just my taste, others will have a complete different take on those, just the same as whatever electronics is used and of course whatever the source used.

On a final note I would say that I would recommend any of the three companies equipment I mentioned, they are all very very good and will give years of pleasure to many. All I have tried to show is my listening experience I have found with them, if I only had one of those systems and never heard the others I would be happy with that system, if you can get the system to play music that is the prime objective.

I wonder how many on here have found the same on their journey into HiFi, with whatever equipment used and would accept that in fact the best HiFi is the one you have.

Cheers

John

Last edited:
I think concerns about ‘something missing’ is the fuel for relentless upgrading. I slowed down a few years ago and tried to put a system together that produced the sound that ‘I’preferred. After trying many pieces, usually second hand I finally decided upon Yamaha and Magnaplanar, a combination with good synergy. I added a Project phono stage and am now living with a sound that I love to wake up to and explore during my days. I have now completed my journey and have no intention of adding or changing anything unless it breaks. The sound has detail, warmth, a little bloom and a very communicative midrange, all elements that I aspire to. I have found that my focus has gone back to my music collection and an eagerness to explore and re-explore music. My system now comprises:

Clearaudio Emotion with Goldring 1042 MM cartridge
Project S2 Phonobox
Rotel 965BX CDP
Marantz SD 35 cassette deck(Nostalgia-my first purchase on my hi fi journey some 30 years ago)
Raspberry Pi 4 with SPdif hat,Picoreplayer/LMS IPeng
Yamaha 803D with inbuilt streaming and Sabre Dac
Magnaplanar LRS speakers
QED and Amazon Basics cabling

It’s a real joy to get the balance I have sought for so many years and it’s the ideal conduit for the music I love.

Confuscious he say " bloody well leave alone then ".

I so wish I had taken that advise when I had my Exposure/Epos/Naim system, I really liked the sound. My system now is a lot better and I much prefer it but that bit in between was unpleasant trying to find the right sound!

I think it is a good idea to develop other interests which put things in perspective.

Until a pretty large upgrade this year I hadn’t touched my system for over a decade as I took up up cycling & managed to get fit.

I think it is possible to enjoy different presentations; I’ve never found naim equipment fatiguing & think such terms are misleading.

I’ve never found naim equipment fatiguing & think such terms are misleading.

Naim are known for having a forward sound, which a lot of people like which is no bad thing. Just doesn't suit everyones tastes, mine included.

Naim are known for having a forward sound, which a lot of people like which is no bad thing. Just doesn't suit everyones tastes, mine included.
Yes, it is the word ‘fatiguing’ which I think is misleading. Ultimately it would be rather pointless if all equipment sounded the same;)

I've heard all naim systems which could be described as forward and fatiguing. I think it's mostly down to the speakers.

My own system is lp12, lots of olive naim and neat ultimatum speakers which work well together. The best? No, but I can happily spend all evening listening to music.

Interesting thread John - I agree that no single system is perfect and having a couple helps reinforce this.

The Quad system sounds good. I've never heard any vintage Quad.

I am working towards the same destination as yourself and I've come a long way in the past two years. I'm not there yet but it's slowly coming together. I have to accept that there are many avenues I'd like to explore but I'd need another lifetime. Plus the HiFi side does get in the way of just enjoying music. However, I do think the past couple of years have been very worthwhile.

(It's advice I've never followed myself, but) when you've found a system that you're happy with, that you can listen to day in, day out, on different types of music, stop buying hifi mags and visiting hifi forums. The temptation to tinker around is fed by such things, and if you do tinker you'll probably only upset the synergy of what you are currently enjoying, then spend ££££s trying to recapture it.

(NB: If you're a box-swapper, buying and selling just to try stuff out because that's what you enjoy doing, ignore the above).

Philosophy and Psychology aside (they are true but too nebulous for me at this age) I have recently re-affirmed that it's the speakers that do 50% of it for me.
If we are talking about just relaxing into the music, then you want speakers that sound enjoyable to you. Work that out and you can easily make a system around them.

It will need a bit of HiFi forum work and some good swapping fun to get the electronics perfect but even there, it is in fact a matter of some basic electrical and mechanical needs (of the speaker) being met by your amp. And that isn't hard, or expensive necessarily. I guess electronics contribute 20% of the sound.

Front ends matter a bit more, esp if analogue, since they too vary in sound. I'd say they are the other 30% of the 'problem'. My formula FWIW is":
Work out what rocks yer boat sound wise. Get Speakers that do that and avoid, like the plague, any speaker that, on demo, draws attention to itself, or one particular part of the sound. Demo at home.
Read info on speaker's electronic and mechanical matching needs and buy any amp that satisfies those criteria, esp. one which makes you glad to see it each day. Pride of ownership matters to me as do aesthetics.
If you are streaming, then your jobs nearly over. I'd probably match components for your front end with your amp. It's easy, and if one makes you smile, so will the other.
If analogue, remember how much you like the speaker sound and why you liked it. Avoid upsetting that balance. Cartridges and arms and decks all 'sound' and need careful matching. This is likely to be the bit that takes longest to get right but HiFi is a hobby so you love it!

That's it. Leave PFM. Do NOT ever, read about HiFi again, avoid dealers windows and relax. You did it.

I give it a month max before you're back :)

Happiness is not having what you like, but liking what you have.

I wonder if it is any coincidence that I'm really liking my late 70s / early 80s era kit, which is roughly when I got smitten by the hifi.
I think this is an interesting view. The refreshment of my equipment after I sold the Naim took me back to when I put together my first hifi and re-generated feelings and enthusiasms associated with this.

Hi @Charlie_1,

Thanks for that, the Quad system is in fact the latest, I swapped my vintage Quads years ago.

The Quad Valve set up is Quad QC24 pre amp, two Quad II Classics monos, the source being the LP12/Ittok/Karma, Dynavector P75, Linn Majik DS/D streamer and speakers Shahinian Super Elf''s.

Power cables are the standard Linn and Quad power cables that came with the equipment, interconnects AudioQuest Mackenzie, speaker cable Mogami 2972.

I have tried different speakers with this set up, Shahinian Arcs, Elf's, Linn Akurate 212's and even Linn Saras.

The Elf's are just amazing, yes they have bass, just not the powerful bass that a large drive unit shifts air like but the bass is there, yes the Arcs are better, but the room shakes and I have neighbours so I know the Elf's do not cause issues so far.

The Elf's are not on the stands that they are usually paired with those being the Ikea ones, I tried Atacama SL300's then tried the Linn Sara stands, that in fact made the difference, the sound opened up along with the soundstage, I found the Ikea stands gave a vague soundstage, now this might be my room.

I have a couple of subs that I could try so there are still plenty of options open for further experimentation in the current set up.

When having other equipment to play about with there always will be the times when I think, lets try another set up, then you hear it and think that is not bad, for example if I put the complete Linn system together the Akurate 212's produce a top end the likes of which I have never heard before and the speed of the system is amazing, just they have the flat soundstage which I am not keen on. However I have heard a similar Akurate 212 system with a fully integrated sub and it was pretty special, in fact so much that was why I got the 212's.

However it is being able to enjoy the music over a period of time that is the real test of a system, if you can live with the same system for weeks without change and you play lots of music then you are on your way to getting a system you can enjoy for years.

Cheers

John

Good Morning All,

Looking at my components outwith the sources, the original release dates are:-

Isobarik - 1973
NAP250 - 1975
NAP135 - 1984
NAC52 - 1990
Supercap - 1995
SNAXO - 1995

Hardly a frontier technology challenging system but I am still 'discovering' its full capabilities. I am certainly enjoying this 'classic' system.

Regards

Richard

Yes, it is the word ‘fatiguing’ which I think is misleading. Ultimately it would be rather pointless if all equipment sounded the same;)

Agreed, however I think fatigueing in this example is fair. Brightness results in fatigue if you are not suited to it.

For instance, my Dad has a Naim system with Kharma loudspeakers and for me it is too bright (although improved a lot when he upgraded from CDI/82/2xHC/250 to CDS3/252/SC/300DR) and therefore for any length of listening I find it fatiguing. However my Dad loves it.

Bear in mind that I am 42 and he is 74 so therefore as we all know, high frequencies tend to disappear as males get older, so I suspect that has a lot more to do with it.

Either way, each to there own as the phrase goes.

Agreed, however I think fatigueing in this example is fair. Brightness results in fatigue if you are not suited to it.

For instance, my Dad has a Naim system with Kharma loudspeakers and for me it is too bright (although improved a lot when he upgraded from CDI/82/2xHC/250 to CDS3/252/SC/300DR) and therefore for any length of listening I find it fatiguing. However my Dad loves it.

Bear in mind that I am 42 and he is 74 so therefore as we all know, high frequencies tend to disappear as males get older, so I suspect that has a lot more to do with it.

Either way, each to there own as the phrase goes.
I now think that speakers have the biggest effect on ‘brightness’, ATC actives are far more rounded than nap250/SBLs.

I now think that speakers have the biggest effect on ‘brightness’, ATC actives are far more rounded than nap250/SBLs.

Definitely. I used to have Focal Electra 1028 Be loudspeakers and they were wonderful speakers, but in the end I found them too bright and fatiguing for extended periods of listening. This was after moving from Exposure pre and power XVIII and XVIII amplification (which aren't renowned for being as forward as say Naim are) to the much more musical and better in ever way, Belles Aria integrated amp that I use now.

To this end, I then looked into replacing the speakers and via my friendly dealer decided on the Quadral Aurum Montan VIII loudspeakers, that have all of the qualities of the Focal that I liked, but with a much smoother and easier on the ear presentation, plus oodles and oodles of bass (maybe a little too much on certain tracks) and now I am in seventh heaven whenever I listen to my system.

Being in the fortunate, or maybe unfortunate, position of having a number of systems I think there is no one system that is best, they are just different.

Pretty much the same for me really. I have two systems, centred around older Naim Components, with a spattering of Avondale.

The so-called office system consists:

LP12/Kore/Lingo 1/Audiomods Classic (built from kit)/Metal bodied Denon 103

Nakamichi 600 cassette deck

Cambridge CXC CD Transport/Maplin DAC

Naim NAC42.5/HiCap-TPR4

ZAP120 – homebuilt amplifier in Naim 120 case + frame transformer/Avondale NAP110 PSU/NAP250 boards

Linn Mk I Kans/LK20/Sound Organisation brackets.

This system gets used a lot. I stream internet radio from the laptop via an M2tech hiFace Two into the Maplin DAC and it all sounds great.

Downstairs, I’m running active MkII kans with 4 x turntables.

Garrard 401/Naim pre-fix/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2MkII

Goldring Lenco 88/Zeta/Dynavector DV20XL

Michell Hydraulic Reference/Naim Aro/Goldring rebuilt Linn Troika

Stanton ST.150/Rega RB202/Rega Carbon/Rega Mini phono

Nakamichi 670ZX

Naim CDS/CDPS

Auralic Aries mini+linear psu

NAIM NAC102

Naim NAP250 (treble)

Home bulit ZAP250 (bass)

Naim Naxo

2 xMulticaps (four channel PSUs built from Avondale TPX1’s)

Linn MkII Kans/MkII stands

Atlas Hyper bi-wire loudspeaker cable

A whole bunch of Mana.

Like @Eyebroughty I tend not to sell much equipment these days, so there’s always loads of other stuff around too in the workshop (NAC22, 2 x NAC 12’s, NAP120, Norton AirPower etc).

It’s not perfect, but it tickles my fancy. It’s nice using the LP12 again; I almost abandoned it at one point, but I added the Kore/Lingo/Audiomods/103 and it’s really singing again now.

You can see that I love turntables and that I could never run a simple one-box system!

advertisement

Back