advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

I’d like to try a Rega Saturn R, in what way would it sound different to my Naim CD5X and Flatcap?
I had a Naim CD 5 and now Rega Apollo/Dac. They are two differents players, but both are good. The CD 5 was a great cd player, with a good timing.

I’ve owned quite a few players, some high end ones too from Naim but I think the most “analogue” sound player I miss is the Linn Karik/Numerik combo. Not saying it was the most accurate etc but it definitely gave me the most enjoyment.

I’ve owned quite a few players, some high end ones too from Naim but I think the most “analogue” sound player I miss is the Linn Karik/Numerik combo. Not saying it was the most accurate etc but it definitely gave me the most enjoyment.
The Karik Numerik is really good, especially the later models... the Ikemi takes it to another level!

I still miss my Naim CDI. A hell of a fun and involving listen, and looked great too. So probably my favourite CD player overall.

Currently, a Meridian 200 CD transport, bought used for £99 and after lightly oiling the laser pivot point it’s performed flawlessly. Similar swing-arm CD mech. as the CDI too. Also sometimes use a Sony CDP-X3000 top loader instead, which makes a superb CD transport into my Chord TT2.

Special runner up mention for my old Rotel RCD-965BX which still works well (a swing-arm Philips mech. again!). First CD player that really showed me how good CD could be.

Like lots of folk on this thread I really enjoyed my Marantz CD63 KI Sig before I gave it away to my brother.

Rarely listen to CDs these days but have a NOS Exposure 2010 I picked up on eBay for £100 which I really like.

Also have an old clamshell Rega Jupiter and Io transport and dac which I enjoyed but its currently boxed up so might need to dig it out and have another listen some time.

I have fond memories of the old Philips CD850, one of the first bitstream players, which sounded great at the time (1990 ish). I've had various Naim players since, but never quite satisfactory. The CDI mentioned above did sound superb but kept skipping.

Linn Ikemi. An absolute classic. CD 12 at a bargain price. Great transport. Sublime sound and much underrated.
I bought my fourth and final one last week (I won’t ever sell this one), I think along with the Katans and Ninkas, it’s their finest moment, whilst the CD12 pips it, the asking price over the Ikemi is huge!

I’ve bought over 60 CDs since this time last week, I want to listen to them again!

PS, I have to give the Genki a mention, I’ve had one in my second system for a few years (until I put my Karik/Numerik in its place last week), it’s a cracking player for the money, not an Ikemi, but really no slouch!

The Genki was so ruff and ready BUT so much fun. A veritable bargain.
Yes, no where near as refined as an Ikemi, but thoroughly engaging and still not fatiguing, I’ve spent many hours listening to mine via a Wakonda/LK100 and Royd Sapphires, it was a LOT of fun for not a lot of money. I traded mine against the Ikemi and I’ll miss it for sure.

I have yet to hear a CDP which seriously 'whipped' the Rotel RCD 965- BX.

I still have mine.. which is more than can be said for other stuff which didn't last.. including for e.g a £3k TEAC transport.....

Nothing wrong with CD. (Except it's not Vinyl...) but not worth paying silly money for players. We had the Linn CD 12 (£12k) in Audio Ex Preston for about a day in Yr 2000..
It was a very nice player and beautifully made.. but in all seriousness it wasn't special.. I wonder how many were sold and how many survive?

My Rotel was a fortunate second hand by when I was putting together my a revised system after the selling of my previous. I was taken aback by its quality. The Ikemi sounds interesting. May have a look around for a decent one, or perhaps a Genki if the cost pf the Ikemi is prohibitive.

I have yet to hear a CDP which seriously 'whipped' the Rotel RCD 965- BX.

I still have mine.. which is more than can be said for other stuff which didn't last.. including for e.g a £3k TEAC transport.....

Nothing wrong with CD. (Except it's not Vinyl...) but not worth paying silly money for players. We had the Linn CD 12 (£12k) in Audio Ex Preston for about a day in Yr 2000..
It was a very nice player and beautifully made.. but in all seriousness it wasn't special.. I wonder how many were sold and how many survive?
I don’t know so much, having lived with a CD12, I’d say it’s pretty special... a lot of money though and I’m very satisfied with the Ikemi, which is also pretty special for 1/5 of the price.

My Rotel was a fortunate second hand by when I was putting together my a revised system after the selling of my previous. I was taken aback by its quality. The Ikemi sounds interesting. May have a look around for a decent one, or perhaps a Genki if the cost pf the Ikemi is prohibitive.

I had an Ikemi as my last CD player before I went over to streaming. Loved it. I remember hearing it for the first time at Stereo Stereo in Glasgow shortly after it was released. It was demo'd against a Karik/Numerik. Within about two bars the half dozen or so of us in the room just looked at each other in the slightly incredulous way you do when you've heard a proper difference between components.

advertisement

Back