advertisement

Naim Equipment You Regret Selling

Naim Aro. Obviously. It's probably worth 4 times what I originally paid for it. Shame it would not suit my Pink Triangle Anniversary plinth.

Sold a NAC 72 after purchasing a NAC 282.

Bought another NAC 72. Sold the NAC 282 with no regrets.

I should say both 72s were fitted with the same RSL cards.

I had a very sweet Nait 1 which I wish I hadn't sold but mostly I enjoy trying different boxes so I can live with choices I have made. Generally, with mass produced items like these you can often find someone selling one if you really want it, you may not like the price, but that is life.

Nait 2 which I bought new and only owned for a couple of years before upgrading. Sold it mint, boxed for £160 if I remember correctly. No one knew back then where the value of these amps was going to go. They were budget Naim amps.

No other Naim kit as I prefer what I have now.

in hindsight.

With (or IN retrospect)

A fair bit of teeth-gnashing regarding early Naits. I seriously think that the Nait One was a great little shoe-box integrated for its time against little opposition but that's where it ends. Maybe the Nait Two (I only had the One) was streets ahead but I doubt it.

I can only put the amazing prices asked and achieved for these down to collectors/memorabilia/working investments etc. Old Leak valved amps, Sansuis and others have long achieved cult status; it happens in hifi as it does with cameras, watches and a host of other collectables.

Leak Stereo 30s and Truvox (I had both), the first s/s integrateds, just don't figure, yet they were pioneers in that field (mid sixties). Likewise the first CDPs (Phillips, Marantz/Sonys); very little call for those. However, the rise of the Nait has to be the one to beat, yet earlier Naim (12, b/o 160 etc.) just doesn't cause a ripple in investment nostalgia. Our arcane hobby!

Never managed to sell much Naim. Tried a couple of times but backed off! I did sell a couple of coils of NAC A5 and don't really regret it since the banana plugs broke off after a while and I struggled to solder them back on!

Tim

Walked all the way up the classic range to 500 stuff, don’t regret selling it but I’d quite happily revisit what I considered the sweet spot for me, 282/300/Dual TCap.

I've kept my favourite Naim bits, naimly an ARO on my LP12 (which is also powered by a 'geddon) and a pristine, factory serviced CB NAIT2.

I don't regret selling the Prefix, HiCaps, NAT02, CD2, CDS2/XPS, NAP140, NAP180, NAP250, NAP135s, NAC102, NAC72, NAC82, or NAC52/Super. OK, maybe selling the 52 I have a wee tinge of regret. But not enough to make me buy another again.

Last edited:
I'd never sell my little nait5i.

Things I'd love to own and would never sell are the sl2, Nbl, nap500, nait 1.

I did sell a couple of coils of NAC A5

Damn! You've just reminded me of the only Naim stuff I have left. I'd forgotten about the 2 x 11 metres of the stuff in conduits under concrete floors. Upgrading these cables, although very pricey, isn't easy as I have to rely upon the convoluted conduit system I devised when the floor was up 12 years ago.

Extracting the NAC A5 and inserting its successor could be problematic and could go disastrously wrong as there's a junction access box where the r/h speaker cable goes across the room. Choice of cable is easy as I've heard it in a bake-off with very similar kit.

You've done what your pseudonym suggests; you've CONNECTED my memory to the ONLY Naim relic in my system; congratulations !!!! :D

I stupidly sold a 42.5/hicap/160 and a Nat101/snaps to funs a 52/250. More hifi but much less music.

My biggest regret is selling my Nait 1 when I did, it was one of those boxes gathering dust on a shelf and not really getting any use... and a work colleague was after a cheap and decent separates system... so I sold it for absolute peanuts... as in under £200 along with a Marantz CD player, early Rega Planar 2 and some Arcam speakers... wish I’d let it gather some dust for a little longer!

I do quite miss my Olive Nait 2, that was a properly sweet little amp with my Rega Elas... but it and the Elas were surplus kit with no proper home and just used to get subbed into my second system occasionally, whilst again was a waste... I sold that for a lot more than the Nait 1 though, in fact I doubled my money on that one.

I was a little wistful when I sold my 82/180 for financial reasons a few years ago as at the time I felt I had gotten to new level of musical reproduction.Though I enjoyed the combination it wasn’t entirely satisfactory with my favourite genres. The unexpected sale sent me into other territory and I began to assemble a system through second hand purchases. This was an interesting and exciting journey with a level of musical satisfaction that I had not experienced before. It also ran parallel to my interest in streaming with Pi etc. Naim was an important part of my journey but is now a fading memory as I plough into other brands. My recent purchase of Maggie LRSs has been the most significant turning point and upgrade I’ve ever made and at a fraction of price of more costly, though less talented equipment.
Had an 82 SC before the 52. Great pre.

Nait5i bought cheap got a very good offer I should have kept it tho
When my 300dr was being shipped and inspected before shipping of the 500 to my house. I pulled out my original bait 5i, it was good but quite special in an SRA Ohio stand I have unused. I was shocked how well it filled it. Like a miniature less detailed version of the separates. Amazing with my Giya 3’s.

advertisement

Back