advertisement

Change in turntable from the same manufacturer loses the cartridge plot it seems.

AV8

pfm Member
I had a Rega P5 for years, now I have a Rega RP8.

Last week a Denon 103R that I used on the P5 sounded oh so sweet, best sound ever to these ears, now on the newer deck I am struggling to get that sweet spot again. The RP8 was initially set up as per last week, same counterweight, same tracking weight, no luck, cannot get it. I have adjusted the VTF till I went from 2-2.8, up & down, currently set at 2.5, no luck, that sweet sound has gone.

:(

No other changes were made? Interconnects? Phono stage? Headamp/SUT (settings)? Tonearm?
I have a Denon 103D.

Only thing that has changed is the Rega turntable, everything else is as was last week when I took the cartridge off before packing the P5 up.

Some further tweaking has brought some of it back, I am doing it by ear, I adjusted the overhang by 2mm from standard & it has brought it back towards what I recall from the P5 days although not quite there yet.

It can only be that the turntables do sound different to each other so that is the cross I bear.

Nice turntable though, luckily I do have another tweaked P5 so the Denon might go on that to compare & the new deck will get the Dynavector 10X5 swopped over.

It can only be that the turntables do sound different to each other so that is the cross I bear.

I have an RP10, which I assume is of a similar sonic character to the RP8, and if so, these turntables do not sound like typical turntables. I found exactly the same thing, cartridges that would happily on an LP12 or other turntables didn't fly on the RP10.

I think there are a few reasons. The deck adds virtually no character of its own. Most turntables add a bit of warmth and fullness to the sound. The RP10 does not so cartridges which sounded ok before now sound lean. The deck is also crazy revealing so you can hear the full character of the cartridge. It won't hide shortcomings but will allow the cart to work at its very best.

The net result is that you kinda need to start again. Throw away what you thought about cartridges before and look for ones which match what you need now. It's a pain and not what I expected from the deck but it's worth the aggravation as these are properly capable turntables.

I usually try to give time to get used to the sound of a new item when there's some bigger change.
Two weeks and up to two months even in some cases, bc I realized I got used to aspects of my old sound that were -in long term experience- actually not right, but I did perceive them as right for a longer time after the change
bc I had got used to them.
With a bit of distance you may well discover new qualities in the 103 and learn to value them.
It's also possible that you decide after quite q while the new item is not for you, but at least then you are sure.
Quick changes always have a high risk of turning in circle long term in my view.

A 103 is a very nice cart imo & I also think there's more behind it than most would think.
I'd give it a chance and I don't think the 103 as such is dependend on sympathetic resonance from a deck to sound nice.
I do think it sounds very nice on it's own and I've seen it run on many decks that are without doubt very neutral as well as expensive.
A 103 deserves a really good phonostage though..much more expensive than the price of the 103 itself would suggest.

I'd try to stay with it and borrow some kind of endgame phonestage..just to see what happens.
Good luck..

Good advice chaps. appreciated.

The phonostage is not a cheap one, Cyrus Phono Signature, & can be adjusted on the fly as you listen for all parameters. It was immediate that the sound was different as I use a test track for all stuff, it just didn't resonate with me at the time from maybe 48 hrs previously.

I shall persevere over the next few days.

So far the best cart I've found on the RP10 is a Grado Green. Not perfect but very musical and sweet. About to start a thread about it which might benefit you too.

Reactions: AV8
dont obsess too much with vta as the 103 has a conical stylus.

Funnily enough I bought a Michell 3 point VTA from a fellow fishie last week & was going to fit it today as the arm has a slight slope, never really been obsessive over that aspect though.

I don't think that you should try to persuade yourself that it sounds good, when your gut reaction clearly says otherwise. I've gone down this route so many times in the past and it always leads to dissatisfaction; I think that you should follow it through and find out what the issue is otherwise you'll never be happy with your record player.

I agree entirely with you, I thought it was getting there but have now decided to sell the Denon 103R, it isn't giving me what I thought I had last time on the P5.

Talking of the Denon 103R. I've just swapped it for a brand new Ortofon MC20 Super SE which seems to bring a bit more life and depth to my Pink / Jelco 750d deck.

Or you could always "run in" the Denon for the 200 hours some recommend.

Not sure I'm convinced about that though. Nor do I have the patience for it.

My 103r sounded sweet from the start really, no sudden jump in performance that I noticed. Not that I'm really helping the OP with my comment...

No problem commenting at all, more the merrier.

I've sold the 103R now, came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work on the RP8 at all, time to move on to another recipe.

advertisement

Back