advertisement

Microwave Oven Recommendation?

Caledon1297

pfm Member
My Panasonic NNST452W has just died :( after only 6 years! :mad: Just unlucky? It's crap? A case of 'they just don't make 'em like they used to'?

Beyond not lasting very long, this one has generally been fine; the only thing I would highlight is that it always seemed rather noisy.

Is there much difference between brands these days in terms of performance, reliability/longevity..., or are they much of muchness?

Any recommendations for a replacement (particular brands and models that are good, or ones to be avoided)? Similar size (32L, I think) and power (900w), microwave only, preferably in white.

I've just liberated a similar model from work and it's much quieter and more powerful than any of the non-inverter models I've used in the past. I guess you were unlucky, it remains to be seen how long mine might last as it's probably been in use daily for some years prior.

My Panasonic NNST452W has just died :( after only 6 years! :mad: Just unlucky? It's crap? A case of 'they just don't make 'em like they used to'?

Beyond not lasting very long, this one has generally been fine; the only thing I would highlight is that it always seemed rather noisy.

Is there much difference between brands these days in terms of performance, reliability/longevity..., or are they much of muchness?

Any recommendations for a replacement (particular brands and models that are good, or ones to be avoided)? Similar size (32L, I think) and power (900w), microwave only, preferably in white.

Check the internal fuse?

Around 7 Amp iirc.

Our 'orrible 'Otpoint has died three times in the past year. On the first occasion i took the lid off to check the fuse (okay) and later on it came back to life. Twice since it has created so much steam that it's died, only to reincarnate. This is a pity, because I've love to buy one with a handle, decent internal capacity and without a ghastly continuous bleep you can't turn off; we load it to 20 minutes or so each morning to avoid it!.

They don't come cheaper and nastier than ours and I just wish it would microwave itself to smithereens !!!!!

Keep it simple. All singing all dancing types with built in Grill/Convection/ Wok Burner/Barbecue/Spit Roasting functions etc.. rarely get used IME. In fact we only used ours as a conventional oven/grill once.. while the kitchen was being re-furbished. Had it perched on the dining table connected by an extension lead... It was pretty scary! Gave it away.

The one built into one of the ovens is fine.

My old Mum bought a Boots branded one about 30 years ago ( at least). Basic.. but did what it said on the tin. Worked faultlessly, and as far as I recall was still working when we cleared her house around 2015.

Actual fault not stated.
Not heating = magnatron, not turning = motor, controls ineffective = keypad or board died, or simply total nothingness = previous fuse suggestion or TX.
Did it spark at any point = wave guide compromised.
Even cheapie MWs seem to last a decade or more unless abused or unlucky. The ones with the fibre wave diffuser usually need that replaced after a while.

Hopeless question - my microwave was bought at least 15 years ago. The original turntable motor packed-up after 2-3-4 years. The replacement motor is still going strong but the internal surfaces of the oven are seriously tatty.

Oven was bought as a Tesco seriously cheapo, stop-gap.

I've had a couple of Pannies over the years and been very happy with them. I'd certainly buy another.

Basic microwave ovens are disposable commodities, like fridges and washing machines. I'd just look out for special offers in your local supermarket. Our current one was a half-price Sainsburys own-brand model purchased about six years ago. It's fine.

Try to find one without the silly rotating platter.
I’ve had mine for 30 years, still going strong – Whirlpool.

I’ve only ever bought Panasonic microwaves for 30 odd years- and not that many because they last. Only ever had one fail in all that time.

Basic microwave ovens are disposable commodities, like fridges and washing machines. I'd just look out for special offers in your local supermarket. Our current one was a half-price Sainsburys own-brand model purchased about six years ago. It's fine.

El cheapo ones can be a bit dangerous can't they ? Stick to Panasonic. Don't get a built-in.

Weighing everything up, I have decided to give Panasonic the benefit of doubt, and have ordered the current equivalent of the model that died; fingers crossed... :eek:

Thanks, everyone, for the info. and advice. :)

Has it got a platter?
With my platter-less microwave I can warm up a baguette or a big lasagna dish. Very convenient.

advertisement

Back