advertisement

Nikon F3

Robby

pfm Member
I have been watching (probably too many) YouTube/Vimeo videos about film photography (the ones with Jason Lee are superb) which has made me itch to get back to film photography.

The Nikon F3 seems to be bullet proof by all accounts and an iconic camera. I am probably going to be paying over the odds to get a mint one (I am a bit OCD when it comes to the condition of cameras) but it’s not a problem.

Anyone have one of these? Do they live up to their reputation? Any recommendations when it comes to lenses?

By the sound of it, you want both a camera and a lens, which means that you don't currently have a nikon system to add a film body to.

If that's the case, then you should definitely consider the equivalent cameras from the other major manufacturers at the time as they are all excellent in their own way. I'd add the Canon AE-1, Pentax MX/LX and Olympus OM-1 to your search. You really can't go far wrong with any of these cameras with their standard 50mm lenses as they tended to produce excellent kit primes in the 70s, and compete on the quality of that one lens.

I have been watching (probably too many) YouTube/Vimeo videos about film photography (the ones with Jason Lee are superb) which has made me itch to get back to film photography.

The Nikon F3 seems to be bullet proof by all accounts and an iconic camera. I am probably going to be paying over the odds to get a mint one (I am a bit OCD when it comes to the condition of cameras) but it’s not a problem.

Anyone have one of these? Do they live up to their reputation? Any recommendations when it comes to lenses?

I have an F3 HP, it's a nice camera if not quite as solid as the earlier F and F2. Keeping dust out of the focus screen area can be a challenge. There are a few electrical connectors that occasionally may need to be "worked". Check the battery regularly for corrosion.

The 55mm macro is a nice lens, wish I had one. The 105mm manual focus Nikkor is a classic, I do have one of those. Of the various wide-to-tele Nikkor zooms available for manual-focus F-mount, the 28-85 seems to be the sharpest, and it handles nicely too. The 24mm and 28mm Nikkor wide lenses were always good. Some of this stuff can be had at a low low price, manual-focus is a bit of a slow market if it doesn't say "Leitz" on it. Don't overlook the "E-Series" lenses, some of them were very well engineered if you can deal with the economy-style barrel and fittings.

I've got an old, battered and very faithful F3HP that I bought many years ago, and a mint F3 that I bought at auction a year or two ago for very little money. The only problem I've ever had is that the battery terminals need to be brushed over with a bit of fine paper once in a while.

I recently read that the otherwise wonderful Pentax LX is prone to a sticky shutter and can require a service.

Had my F3 since 1988 (I think!) and during my film days it went everywhere with me. Spent a lot of its time in a motorcycle tankbag, surviving a couple of bike accidents, and generally being used hard. It still looks virtually spotless, works perfectly (I recently replaced the light seals) and out of all my cameras is probably the one which have to be prised from my cold, dead hands... :)

F3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I have owned an F3 since 1992. I stupidly traded the first one on an F5 but ended up buying a replacement which I took to the Himalayas and got some great pics in some extreme conditions. My second one was in user condition, and since prices have come down a lot I decided to treat myself to a mint one (300 Euros from Germany on Ebay).

I think the F3 is one of the all time greatest film SLR’s. Although it doesn’t quite have the romance of the mechanical F2 it is arguably more reliable (F2s are a lot more expensive to service). The F3 electronics are extremely reliable and one lithium battery lasts 3-5 years. The ball bearing film transport is as smooth as it gets and doesn’t seem to need lubrication even after decades.

My first two F3’s were the HP version with 0.75 magnification. I now have the DE2 finder with 0.8 magnification and I prefer it for focusing. It still has about 20mm of eye relief which is way more than the lower grade bodies [FM2 etc) and fine for glasses wearers.

Another super nice camera from the same era is the Canon New F1. Even more tank-like build and a better metering display in the viewfinder.

I do like the F3, but for me the classic Nikon pro SLR is the F2 with the small finder.

Nikon-F2-Titan.jpg

When Nikon did their one-off manual-style DSLR, they had the good sense to model it on the F2.

1383619954_1013090.jpg

Joe

The DF doesn’t look much like the F2 to me. The prism shows some resemblance to the FM2, but the camera is fricking enormous so that where the similarity with the FM2 ends. Your F2 Titan is beautiful but these go for about ££3k!

You certainly can’t go wrong with an F2 but should budget £300-£400 for a service if buying used with unknown service history. F3s are a great bargain.

I had an a few F3's the shutters do go on them eventually, but only after a lot of exposures. Have a couple of F4's still sitting on shelf. Both cameras (and i think the F5 too) were designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, great ergonomics, the same designer was behind the Lotus Esprit, Volkswagen Golf and the original Fiat Panda.

I like the styling of the FM2, but unfortunately the viewfinder is terrible if you wear glasses. There is effectively no eye relief and you are lucky to see half of the frame. The shutter and mirror slap is noticeably louder than the pro level cameras.

The Nikons still look great no doubt about it. I bought an OM2n in 1981 I think and ummed and ahhed against a Nikon FM at the time. Might dig it out and have a play with it, in fact I'm pretty sure there's a half used roll of film in it that'll be about 25 years old, wonder what's on it lol :D

Yes i loved the FM2 still my favorite camera, hoped Nikon would bring out the digital equivalent with the striped down simplicity, size and style. Ended up with a Sony A7, the ergonomics of the Sony are unfortunately appalling!

Thank you for all the replies. I think, to get the get a camera in the condition that I would find acceptable, I am going to be paying c £450/$500 for an F3 body. This one looks to be good value as it comes with a decent warranty: https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-F3-HP-Black_270504.html

Lenses in great condition seem to be fairly reasonable. The overall outlay will be in the region of £650 to dip my toe back into film.

I have seen a couple of mint Pentax K1000’s for £200/£250 which might be a better initial purchase. Maybe. This looks pretty good: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=184383027139

There is just something about the F3 that keeps drawing me in.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Looks like a nice F3 and a good price. I would snap that up.

F3s were about 4 times the price of a K1000 in the day and a far better camera.
With the current film revival K1000s are popular again and overpriced. F3s are a well kept secret.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for an F1 or F2. I had both in the 70s/80s and they were built like tanks. You might as well get it with the simple pentaprism, without the Photomic thing. Less bulky and I don't think you can get the correct batteries for the Photomic anymore. They are also more "iconic," since that is an aspect that seems to interest you.

I've used a LOT of the cameras mentioned. Any of the film Nikons are built like a tank frankly and my FM2n had been up mountains, in sub zero for weeks and across 2 deserts without a blink. It's lighter than the F's by a way, but no eye relief, as pointed out above. I'm thinking about going back too, and will get an F3HP if I do because I wear specs and the HP makes that a tad easier. Look on ebay for japan based ones. They know their stuff out there and even have some 'open box, never used' examples from reputable traders.
As to lenses since it's all manual focus, you just want the newest glass that has an aperture ring.
Have a look on the 'Grays of Westminster' website. Prices are steep but they are well known for service and quality and the best advice in the UK is then a phone call away.

https://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/welcome.php

advertisement

Back