advertisement

RIP Clive Ponting

Hmmm wonder when the movie will be out.. fascinating career

"What has not been disclosed until now is that Ponting also went on to expose one of Britain’s most unsavoury cold war cover-ups – the 1952 attempt to develop bioweapons, during which a trawler off the Hebrides was accidentally doused with plague bacteria. All files on the incident were destroyed, except for a single highly classified folder, which Ponting discovered three decades later, locked in his Ministry of Defence safe."

RIP Clive Ponting. I see he broke the Official Secrets Act and got away with it. Hmm they made me sign it twice. The 1950s and 1960s had a lot of secrets, Porton Down's activities for example.

RIP Clive Ponting. I see he broke the Official Secrets Act and got away with it. Hmm they made me sign it twice. The 1950s and 1960s had a lot of secrets, Porton Down's activities for example.

Famously so

I remember reading Ponting's book The Right To Know about the Belgrano. The obituary is interesting and mentions another expose he was involved with - a British move to develop bioweapons in which a trawler off the Hebrides was accidentally doused with plague bacteria. All files about this event were destroyed except for one.

"When he retired in 2004 he moved to a Greek island, but failing health drove him back first to a house in France, then to Kelso in the Scottish Borders, where he signed up with a surprised but pleased Scottish National party.

"Towards the end of his life, Ponting’s post-Brexit political views tended to be bleak. He wrote privately in 2018: “I can’t believe what is happening in the world – I suppose we were children of the 60s, but at least there was hope then. And now there’s very little.”

The UK needs more people like Ponting, with the current government in power and their unending lies.

Jack

I like the bit about Thatcher restoring his salary. For all that Thatcher did wrong BJ is worse as he has no principles whatsoever.

I remember reading Ponting's book The Right To Know about the Belgrano. The obituary is interesting and mentions another expose he was involved with - a British move to develop bioweapons in which a trawler off the Hebrides was accidentally doused with plague bacteria. All files about this event were destroyed except for one.

"When he retired in 2004 he moved to a Greek island, but failing health drove him back first to a house in France, then to Kelso in the Scottish Borders, where he signed up with a surprised but pleased Scottish National party.

"Towards the end of his life, Ponting’s post-Brexit political views tended to be bleak. He wrote privately in 2018: “I can’t believe what is happening in the world – I suppose we were children of the 60s, but at least there was hope then. And now there’s very little.”

The UK needs more people like Ponting, with the current government in power and their unending lies.

Jack

It can be done. If I can stand up for the rights of my colleagues and I, anyone can.

I'm not afraid to stand and be counted.

It's been a long journey of course. I'm proud of my achievements at work.

advertisement

Back