advertisement

First ever CD

Deep Purple ‘House of Blue Light’, probably Jan 1987. My first player was a Yamaha CDX3 bought in the Jan sales from the Virgin Megastore in Oxford. Bought on 24/1/87 for £177.95. The first CD I have a note of buying was Zappa ‘Does Humour Belong In Music?’. That cost £11.49 on 6 Feb 87.

'Floored Genius: The Best of Julian Cope & The Teardrop Explodes', bought in a little HMV shop near Central Station in That Liverpool.

I bought a Sony CDP-101 from Laskeys in Slough on release in 1983/4 and it came with a choice of discs. I think one was Heaven 17’s Luxury Gap album which I still have somewhere.

I had a Kenwood DP-850 bought from AN Audio for £150 (ISTR, it was one of the first at that price point) in 1986.

The first CD I bought to play on it was probably either the Van der Graaf Generator 1st Generation compilation or Uriah Heep the Collection on Castle.

This is a super hard question.

I am unable to remember my first c.d. player.

It was about 1990 and I can remember buying it new and I think it was about £80 but not above £100.
Sony or Philips?
I can't remember.
First c.d? no idea. We had lots of records, and played vinyl most of the time.
(and tapes of records.)

It might have been Madonna - ' The Immaculate Collection' ? Or something by Prince?
They weren't cheap, so we (back in first wife land) didn't buy loads in those (skint) days.

But it might have been the late eighties and a different c.d?
It really irritates me that I can't remember what the c.d. player was.

the second c.d. player was a Marantz 63 signature or summat like that? gold lettering if I remember right. It was quite bright and I didn't like it. Arcam Alpha 5 after that.

I bought a Philips CD360 and a copy of Abbado conducting Strauss Tone Poems, Don Juan etc. 1987, I think.

My first CDP was a Denon of some sort and it wasn't that good, wasn't that cheap either about £250!
First CD, think it was Brothers in Arms
Mac

Brothers in Arms, remember queuing for it at the massive hmv on Northumberland St in Newcastle.

Phil Collins Face Value and David Bowie Ziggy and the Spiders from Mars. Bought in 1985 I think. Still have both. Bowie is a RCA so some value.

First CD player was the expensive Marantz CD73. Wish I still had it to be honest.

I bought quite a few CDs - more than a dozen, before buying a CDP, as I didn't want to have just one or two discs to play.

The first were mainly old favourites: Fischer Dieskau singing Schubert Lieder, accompanied by Brendel; John Martyn Solid Air; Schwartzkopf/Szell Strauss Vier Letzte Lieder. Funnily enough the original vinyl has lasted at least as well as well as the CDs if not better, the John Martyn is quite discoloured and skips a bit, while all three jewel cases are far more worn than their equivalent LP sleeves (my John Martyn goes back to the mid 70s). All are still favourites.

My first CDP was a £300 Denon of some sort, about 1989. (Prior to that I was on record as believing it would never catch on - the fact that all you heard at hifi dealers was Dire Straits and DSOM didn't help - plus ca change ...). The Denon was ok but I never warmed to CD that much at the time, it was just less engaging somehow. The LP12 and my vinyl were in storage twice, when I went off to NZ for a few years in the early 00s, and a few years later in the mid 90s to early 00s when the kids were small, so CDs got a thrashing then.

Funnily enough I kept buying vinyl I couldn't play all through this time ... it was fill your boots, as all the fashionistas were getting rid to go digital - I recall picking up a whole bunch of jazz in NZ, four for a dollar - an NZ dollar at that time was about 40p - so I had a lot of listening to catch up on when I the TT back out, when my youngest was about 4.

Queen, Made In Heaven, it was a Christmas gift from my uncle (who passed away in February and I’m missing a lot just now)... it gave away what I was getting from my parents!

I’m going to play it just now.

I bought a Sony CDP-990 from Salisbury hi fi in 1990. The first CD I bought was probably one purchased as a curiosity a year or so earlier, the first 3" CD single - 'Peaches en Regalia on Rykodisc.

Mine was Brian Eno "Thursday Afternoon" which was ideal as a CD with it's quiet passages, By coincidence my last Vinyl (at the time) was Eno and Cage "Wrong Way Up" which has just been re released as an 'anniversary' edition

2 at once - Blessed Are The Sick by Morbid Angel and A Blaze in the Northern Sky by Darkthrone.

As a teenager at the time, the irony of getting those albums with my Christmas money was entirely wasted on me!

advertisement

Back