advertisement

Pre Amp for Linn Klimax Twin ?

billo

pfm Member
I have been caught B.U.I. (Buying Under the Influence ) and need a pre amp for this Linn. I would like the matching pre amp but they are thin on the ground and my actions have lead to a significant reduction in funds. So I need a short term solution. Any advice?
Also are these amps 'sensitive' to cables both speaker and interconnects?
Thanks.

Hi,

If you can find a Linn Akurate Kontrol they are very good, also the Linn Majik Kontrol is very close to the Akurate Kontrol.

Failing that try and find a Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2, only one input though, they are as good as the Akurate Kontrol. I have one and a Majik Kontrol and both are cracking bits of kit.

The Majik Kontrol will also come with a very good phono stage and headphone output, eBay prices are about £450-£600 depends on condition and end of sale price.

As for interconnects and speaker cables Linn equipment is build to stand people using any type of interconnect and speaker cables so use what you want.

Cheers

John

Hi,

If you can find a Linn Akurate Kontrol they are very good, also the Linn Majik Kontrol is very close to the Akurate Kontrol.

Failing that try and find a Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2, only one input though, they are as good as the Akurate Kontrol. I have one and a Majik Kontrol and both are cracking bit of kit.

The Majik Kontrol will also come with a very good phono stage and headphone output, eBay prices are about £450-£600 depends on condition and end of sale price.

As for interconnects and speaker cables Linn equipment is build to stand people using any type of interconnect and speaker cables so use what you want.

Cheers

John

Thanks for that advice and reassurance

Hi,

Failing that try and find a Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2, only one input though, they are as good as the Akurate Kontrol. I have one and a Majik Kontrol and both are cracking bits of kit.

Cheers

John
I would say there is a good bit of distance between an Akurate Kontrol to a Magic Kontrol. Well to my ears when auditioned.

Kikkin is probably cheapest option. I went KK1/D > Kikkin 2.2 > KK1/D when I needed funds. Could have stuck with the Kikkin. If you do get one then bear in mind it's reverse phase (like Kairn) otherwise it won't sound very good ;)

Exotik should be similar performance level although not heard it myself.

Enjoyed the Majik Kontrol before KK and agree with Eyebroughty that the phono stage is really good. I heard it briefly with KCT (and my Ninkas) and that was really good.

KK should be your long term goal though. If you can't afford KK/1 then don't dismiss the original KK either. That was the Linn gold standard for many years and should sound lovely with any KCT variant. Some will have been fitted with Dynamik PSU as well.

If I'm honest, I was never 100% convinced by the KK1 upgrade. Much clearer sound but I didn't enjoy the music as much for the first week or two. Was never sure if it was burn in or I just got used to it. I probably should have returned it and got my money back but I was a firm believer and doubted my ears.

Hi,

Cheers

John
My local dealer has a nice Exotik for sale at £675 which would work very nicely, it would be an Excellent stop gap on the way to a Klimax Kontrol... a KK and Twin are some of the nicest sounding (and looking) amps I’ve encountered.

My local dealer has a nice Exotik for sale at £675 which would work very nicely, it would be an Excellent stop gap on the way to a Klimax Kontrol... a KK and Twin are some of the nicest sounding (and looking) amps I’ve encountered.
That sounds like a winner to me!

That sounds like a winner to me!
I ought to add, my local dealer is Sound Cinergy in Aldridge, I think he’s on holiday at the moment (usually goes to visit him mom in Scotland at the beginning of August), but he’s excellent to deal with.

A safe bet is Linn K20, K200 or second hand K400 speaker cable. Not a great fan of K200 though. K20 has recently changed and not heard the new version - it's cheap for hifi cable though.

Similarly, recommend using Linn Silver or Black ICs to connect the amps. There are 3 variants of Silver but any is fine. A few people prefer the cheaper Blacks though - I only compared once and must admit I enjoyed the Blacks a little more but it will vary from person to person.

And definitely stick with the factory supplied mains cables!

I have been caught B.U.I. (Buying Under the Influence ) and need a pre amp for this Linn. I would like the matching pre amp but they are thin on the ground and my actions have lead to a significant reduction in funds. So I need a short term solution. Any advice?
Thanks.

I have a Linn Akurate Kontrol 0/D, with a superb onboard DAC and MC/MM phono section, going spare if you're interested. Fully Boxed with remote etc. Immaculate condition etc. It'll even do 5.1 if you're that way inclined.

Sounds like a plan, I have been looking at everything Linn over the last few days, I do remember a dealer saying they were back on 8th August.

A safe bet is Linn K20, K200 or second hand K400 speaker cable. Not a great fan of K200 though. K20 has recently changed and not heard the new version - it's cheap for hifi cable though.

Similarly, recommend using Linn Silver or Black ICs to connect the amps. There are 3 variants of Silver but any is fine. A few people prefer the cheaper Blacks though - I only compared once and must admit I enjoyed the Blacks a little more but it will vary from person to person.

And definitely stick with the factory supplied mains cables!

Thanks for that, I did wonder about the great,strange variations in the prices of 'Silver' interconnects The guy has thrown in some K20 speaker cable which should fit.

I have a Linn Akurate Kontrol 0/D, with a superb onboard DAC and MC/MM phono section, going spare if you're interested. Fully Boxed with remote etc. Immaculate condition etc. It'll even do 5.1 if you're that way inclined.
Thanks, I'll bear it in mind as I explore my options.

I ought to add, my local dealer is Sound Cinergy in Aldridge, I think he’s on holiday at the moment (usually goes to visit him mom in Scotland at the beginning of August), but he’s excellent to deal with.

Looking through the paperwork and manual, Cinergy serviced this Twin just 4 weeks ago. As they say ..."it's a small world but, I would not like to paint it" :)

Looking through the paperwork and manual, Cinergy serviced this Twin just 4 weeks ago. As they say ..."it's a small world but, I would not like to paint it" :)
He will have had it serviced by a reputable agent, he has a few in his contacts (including myself :D).

I only add to the glowing praise for Sound Cinergy. I have dealt with Clive since he first started Sound Cinergy over 20 years ago. Clive supplied me with my current pre amp Linn Exotik. Having owned original Majik I, Wakonda, AV5103 and a Kairn, the Exotik is my favourite by quite some margin.
Clive's customer service really is second to none. Good luck with your search.

advertisement

Back