advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Another 10 miler today, well 17k. I really think that's the longest I can go without taking water with me, I'm really feeling it in my legs.

3 days and counting since Garmin's servers went down. I have to run Windows on a virtual machine on my Mac to see my Vivoactive 4 Watch so I can manually upload it to Strava. I would have thought the phone app collects the data and then uploads it to your account, but it looks like it does it the other way round. I don't really use the Garmin Connect App but it's annoying.

Im 47, 5.10 tall and 85kg.
I started running a couple of years ago and recently bee doing an average of 30km an week.
A couple of weeks ago i developed pain in the plant of my left foot in the inside just behind the big toe.
Tried to run a couple of times and had to quit after just 5 minutes.
Devastated as I cannot run anymore. Does anyone know what this could be?

You may need to see a doctor, could be anything from Gout to a stress fracture! Metatarsalgia is common around there. Could just be your shoes aren’t up to the job any more. Best to start by ruling out serious stuff and working from there.

Back on the upswing, after a recovery week. 35.5 miles total, longest 14 miles (very slow!), did a 48:30 10K in Wednesday evening. Feel OK, although I still have a slight adductor niggle, which comes and goes. Wasn't a problem on the long run.

Carried back pack and water for the long run, which always seems to slow me down. I am going to try using a bladder thing in the pack, rather than water bottles on the front straps that wobble at anything beyond a sedate shuffle.

Plan is to increase the length of the shortest days, and see if I can get the long one over 15. Still holding a torch for the idea of an autumn ultra - at a minimum that would need a few weeks of 50+ miles, and a handful of over 20 miles runs. Just barely possible in the time available, starting from here.

As you get older, everything turns in to a one paced shuffle anyway. Ultra is making a virtue of only running very slowly. It is a day out in the country, eating cake without guilt. What's not to like?

I still mentally think of myself as being in my mid-30s, and running sub-40 for 10K. Sadly, neither is true for way over 20 years! Now it is more a case of trying to get older faster than I get slower !?

Still plugging away, good 5k today on a new route. Icing on the cake was a nice dip in the sea to cool off afterwards. :)

Ditto, still following a training plan to get near 52 on a 10k. Won’t happen, but damn, it’s keeping me busy. Think I’ll train for an imaginary half soon... Did I say I really miss doing Parkrun?

Tried an assessment run yesterday - about 8k, mixed trail. Slow and sore. I keep wondering if my running days are over....

Tried an assessment run yesterday - about 8k, mixed trail. Slow and sore. I keep wondering if my running days are over....

I saw that on Strava. You haven’t had the operation yet though have you? I’m sure that when you’ve had it, and you’ve done a rehab. It must be so frustrating though.

Ditto, still following a training plan to get near 52 on a 10k. Won’t happen, but damn, it’s keeping me busy. Think I’ll train for an imaginary half soon... Did I say I really miss doing Parkrun?
I've set myself the target of a half-Marathon by the end of September, I reckon I can do it. Covid permitting I'm going hiking in Switzerland at the end of September.
Really missing Parkrun here too, was hoping to get 50 in before my 50th in October :(

I’ve been running a lot since WFH and I’m having some issues with the muscles in my gluteus bits.

My shoes are falling apart and I suspect this isn’t helping!

Any suggestions for a decent running shoe that won’t mean I have to sell the keyboards?

Stephen

I’ve been running a lot since WFH and I’m having some issues with the muscles in my gluteus bits.

My shoes are falling apart and I suspect this isn’t helping!

Any suggestions for a decent running shoe that won’t mean I have to sell the keyboards?

Stephen

Foam rolling really helps. It’s not fun though...

Try using this, you can try them for 90 days and return if they don’t suit.

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/ShoeFinder

I am gong to have to bin my secondary pair of shoes- the outsole has nearly worn away, and they have gone dead feeling. Had them for several years, so I can't complain. Replacements are scary expensive - presumably the pound is totally in the toilet.

Just about sticking to plan. Did about 38.6 miles, longest was 14.4 (supposed to be 15+), wasted a lot of time crashing about in the bushes trying to find a track! Average pace slower than last week. Got a bit dehydrated on long run - need to plan to finish water when I carry it, not bring half back.

Try for 40ish miles this week, and try to actually do 15+ miles on long run - stick to routes I actually know. Recovery week to look forward to after that.

Dragged myself back into action this week, kicking and screaming after a couple of 'lazy' weeks (recovering from a trip to the Alps where I overdid it a little..:D). Couple of short runs then a couple of gentle 10ks. Will try to build it up a little but still thinking I will try to improve on 5K time...it's a goal at least.

Bought a new toy (Garmin 645music) so now have bluetooth music and Garminpay (not that I'll use it much I suspect, but may come in useful in an emergency pub stop or somesuch). (I'll be selling a Forerunner 235 shortly in the classifieds if anyone is interested!).

I have been in Asics Kayanos for years, but only get them from the outlet when they have a sale on. I keep a new pair as spares in readiness - have learned the lesson of using worn out shoes (pains all over) and a new pair will make a remarkable difference immediately when I start noticing the aches. Full retail is ridiculous but the outlet has some good prices (mainly last year's models of course) - https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/asics/c/ao50100000/

Good to see (almost) everyone's at it still. JTC - I'm sure you'll get back to it once you've had the op, though it may take some considerable time to just get the op I guess...very frustrating.

I’m still doing it. Pretty much everyday over lockdown. Now the gym is open Doing some of that as well . So Running a little less

I have been in Asics Kayanos for years, but only get them from the outlet when they have a sale on. I keep a new pair as spares in readiness - have learned the lesson of using worn out shoes (pains all over) and a new pair will make a remarkable difference immediately when I start noticing the aches. Full retail is ridiculous but the outlet has some good prices (mainly last year's models of course) - https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/asics/c/ao50100000/.

Thanks for that - it is really helpful. I have had Kayanos in the past. Even the outlet prices are eye-watering, although £50 less than full price - I may have to trade down to mid-range model.

Even the outlet prices are eye-watering

Didn't look too closely when I linked, but yes, just took a look and quite pricey. The trick is to wait until they have a sale - just had a look back and I got a pair in April (Kayano 25) for £76 delivered, which I thought was good (normal outlet price was £108 as it is now, reduced from RRP of £155 (ridiculous!). Previous pair in September before for £86.
I suspect they will likely have another sale quite soon if that is in budget and you can wait - seems like they have 2 or 3 times a year.

advertisement

Back