advertisement

Better MM system than the Rega Exact?

Rushboy

pfm Member
I'm asking for a few good suggestions.
Should have an interchangeable needle carrier, unlike the Exact.
The Rega Exact sounds all right, but it always sounds better.
My record player Rega Planar 8.

I think Planar 8 deserves at least an Ania Pro, better an Apheta 2.
Agreed, the Planar 8 deserves better, but not sure why the insistance on MM? I would be looking MC.
But, for MM with replaceable stylus, consider Ortofon 2M Black, Nagaoka MP300 or 500. Some may think a Goldring 1042 may be an option? (but can be had for less than an Exact).

Audio Technica MM would be my recommendation, remarkably wide cartridge and stylus compatibility, excellent sound quality to match the Rega P8 better (e.g. their 440ML and others depending on your budget).

@Rushboy,

IME, answers to the following are key here...
  • Are you sure that your dissatisfaction is down to the phono cartridge, and not something else?
  • What amp/phono stage are you using? Do other sources sound to your liking?
  • Does the Exact sound off relative to your memory of how it sounded when new?
  • Do you keep the stylus scrupulously clean?
  • Is the cartridge mounted/aligned properly using all 3 bolts, or have you been experimenting with alternative alignments?
  • If you simply don't get on with the sound of the Exact, what sort of sound are you after?

I've had a 2M Black, several 1042s and just now my cart of choice on my RP10 is a Grado Green. Cost just over £100 and, in my humble opinion, is better than everything else I've tried.

Has the air and fluidity of a coil but the weight of a MM. It does pick up hum from the motor as it gets close to the end of the record but it's below the level of the vinyl noise so not an issue. My only genuine gripe is that the top end is excessively rolled off but it's still a lovely cartridge to play music on.

Curious as to what better Grado carts are like and maybe other similar ones, like Soundsmith.

I've had a 2M Black, several 1042s and just now my cart of choice on my RP10 is a Grado Green. Cost just over £100 and, in my humble opinion, is better than everything else I've tried.

Has the air and fluidity of a coil but the weight of a MM. It does pick up hum from the motor as it gets close to the end of the record but it's below the level of the vinyl noise so not an issue. My only genuine gripe is that the top end is excessively rolled off but it's still a lovely cartridge to play music on.

Curious as to what better Grado carts are like and maybe other similar ones, like Soundsmith.

And for the opposite view... I regard the cheaper Grado's as the worst carts I've ever heard. 2M Black is good but expensive and couldn't get on with 1042. MM's are to get you by until you save up for an MC and for disco decks.

@Rushboy,

IME, answers to the following are key here...
  • Are you sure that your dissatisfaction is down to the phono cartridge, and not something else?
  • What amp/phono stage are you using? Do other sources sound to your liking?
  • Does the Exact sound off relative to your memory of how it sounded when new?
  • Do you keep the stylus scrupulously clean?
  • Is the cartridge mounted/aligned properly using all 3 bolts, or have you been experimenting with alternative alignments?
  • If you simply don't get on with the sound of the Exact, what sort of sound are you after?
as written I am not unhappy with the Exact.
Exposure 3010 S2D with MM board.
Yes
Yes
Yes/ No

maybe a little bit more of everything

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/humbucker

advertisement

Back