advertisement

Multimeter repairs

Markie

pfm Member
My multimeter is in need of repair. It's a Uni-T UT70A.

It seems fine on voltage and resistance but inductance and capacitance are not working.

Inductance reads OL regardless of the range setting (with known value inductor)

Capacitance seems wildly out despite (again) known value caps.

Anyone on here who can fix, or recommend someone

Tried a new battery.

C and L used to work fine.

Will check the fuses.

I don't use it enough to warrant upgrade.

Hopefully someone can suggest a repair/er.

One on eBay for just under £40 including postage, probably less than the cost of a repair.

Pete

Check out the EEvblog videos on Uni-T teardowns and you'll soon be looking for something else...

Aneng AN8008 is fantastic, especially for the price (£25 or so). Davey on EEVBlog highly rated them. I have 3 to make bias setting a lot easier on my class A amp projects. They even do pretty fast capacitance measurement which came in useful this week!

I found a cheapie on Ebay which also has a good review on You tube. Cheap enough to try out, will report back when received.

Thanks for all the help.

I wonder why Rigol's bench multimeters are more expensive than their oscilloscopes?

I found a cheapie on Ebay which also has a good review on You tube. Cheap enough to try out, will report back when received.

I’d be very reluctant to use any of the real cheapo meters on mains/high voltage. I’ve seen several YouTube videos showing many models exploding in the wrong scenario. The Dave Jones (EEVBlog) tear-downs are very interesting as he always highlights the safety aspect and just how short of the mark some cheap meters fall.

PS I’m a beginner/idiot when it comes to electronics, so I have a Fluke 87V. No way in hell is that thing going to blow my hand off if I do something dumb!

I only ever use it for measuring caps/inductors, and measuring impedence of speakers. Occasionally voltage of batteries (max 12V)

I know everything I need to know about mains voltage............... I STAY AWAY.

I bought one on Ebay that was reviewed on YouTube. Ut arrived today, and I must confess I am VERY pleased. It only does L C and R but havinge measured about a dozen known value components it seems to be very accurate. Certainly for my requirements.

It came from a UK supplier and was just £20.00. It seems I had the last one as the seller doesn't have them listed any more. They are still listed by chinese sellers but the price seems to have gone up considerably, possibly because of the you tube review.......... around £40.00.

They seem to be listed under different brand names but all have the same model number BM 4070

advertisement

Back