advertisement

B&W 606 Speakers

MarkC274

Hello All,

I am finding my new B&W 606 speakers to be quite remarkable for their price.

Very rhythmic, dynamic and transparent.

Anyone else impressed by these speakers?

I heard them at the Bristol Hi-Fi show last year in a comparison against the outgoing 685 S2, and I agree thought they were excellent for their price. They use a lot of trickle down tech from the higher end B&W models - continuum cone, etc.
I'm a big B&W fan in general though - have P5 S2 and PX headphones, and use a pair of CM5 S2 speakers in my system.

Last edited:
I heard them at the Bristol Hi-Fi show last year in a comparison against the outgoing 605 S2, and I agree thought they were excellent for their price. They use a lot of trickle down tech from the higher end B&W models - continuum cone, etc.
I'm a big B&W fan in general though - have P5 S2 and PX headphones, and use a pair of CM5 S2 speakers in my system.

Hi Matt,

Did you think they were significantly better than the 605 S2?

Hi Matt,

Did you think they were significantly better than the 605 S2?

I'd describe them as sounding different - the 606s were definitely less coloured and more detailed, but I found the upper frequencies a little too emphasised for my liking. In comparison, the 685s weren't as clear but had a warmer, easier sound. From what I have read in the HiFi press about the new generation of B&W speakers, this change in sound is attributed to the shift from Kevlar to continuum.

I heard them at the Bristol show last year and thought they sounded great – clear, dynamic and good bass. When I demo’d a pair at my local dealer they sounded poor. Thin, top heavy sound with no bass. The amp was my Nytech which has plenty of bass when called to deliver – which it does with other speakers.

I heard them at the Bristol show last year and thought they sounded great – clear, dynamic and good bass. When I demo’d a pair at my local dealer they sounded poor. Thin, top heavy sound with no bass. The amp was my Nytech which has plenty of bass when called to deliver – which it does with other speakers.

I have my 606s connected to a Rotel pre and power combination and an Arcam source which work well although they were relatively thin and bright at first out of the box.

I'm in the market for speakers like this and the fyne audio 500s but i'll probably buy the fynes as they can be positioned up close to back and side walls unlike the b and ws which need at least 50cm space from the back and side wall.

I had the 685 s2 and they are great all rounders. Bit warmer than the newer ones and worked great with my Rega brio and rega elex r. Less so with an older marantz amp I had.

I'm in the market for speakers like this and the fyne audio 500s but i'll probably buy the fynes as they can be positioned up close to back and side walls unlike the b and ws which need at least 50cm space from the back and side wall.

I wouldn’t count the B&W 606s out as you can use the foam bungs to tune the port and have them closer to a wall. Mine are positioned fairly close to the wall (4 inches and no foam bungs) In my lounge and they sound really good.

I had the 685 s2 and they are great all rounders. Bit warmer than the newer ones and worked great with my Rega brio and rega elex r. Less so with an older marantz amp I had.

Sounds like the 606s are more transparent than the 685 S2, which to some people can come across as a clear but less warm presentation. I have never heard the 685 S2s so just going by possible thoughts.

Sounds like the 606s are more transparent than the 685 S2, which to some people can come across as a clear but less warm presentation. I have never heard the 685 S2s so just going by possible thoughts.
To be fair, I haven't actually heard the 606 but during lock down auditioned the 703s. Found them very dynamic, clear etc but did find them a bit fatiguing. Could have been my amp adding to it as my Elex-r is a little forward, may need a warmer amp now they have changed from Kevlar.

To be fair, I haven't actually heard the 606 but during lock down auditioned the 703s. Found them very dynamic, clear etc but did find them a bit fatiguing. Could have been my amp adding to it as my Elex-r is a little forward, may need a warmer amp now they have changed from Kevlar.

System synergy is always interesting as Rega amps are generally good all rounders (I know the Elex-R and Brio amps well).

advertisement

Back