advertisement

Mana Acoustics

I demoed one and bought one from RPM in Battersea. It was a very good table for LP12. Big improvement on my Target at the time. Used it for many years.

Still whatever. The subject has been done to death, nursed back to life then killed again many times. As the stuff is no longer available I see little point in arguing about it. I have my opinion, you have yours. End of.
Is this any different from your incessant posts about Linn or even Naim.
You were one of the biggest promoters. Odd number phases are where it’s at. Oh, you need another phase. It all happens at phase 9. You need phase whatever...
You also promoted the cheapo cd on phase xx is better than anything.
Own it.

You were one of the biggest promoters. Odd number phases are where it’s at. Oh, you need another phase. It all happens at phase 9. You need phase whatever...

Which part of 'I'm not arguing about this' do you not understand?

I was guilty too. It did work well under the LP12, but eventually I moved on. Those were fun times (if a bit daft)....

I still have mine under my Linn on Phase 3 (2 sound stages and a mini table) and there it will stay inside its trompe l ´oeuil cupboard. Just enough room to lift the lid up. It used to sound good before I went deaf. Now it sounds wonderful.

I am on phase 5 Mana. I don't understand Spike's problem with people who like Mana. Get over it ffs

Nothing to get over. I’m happy for you.
PS
Don’t you know phase 7 is where it really starts to happen.

My LP12 sounds much better on Mana than it did on a Sound Org or sideboard. I tried up to Phase 3, but much preferred a single Phase.

I won't be selling any of my Mana anytime soon.

I used a Mana Reference wall shelf for many years under my LP12, which worked better than anything else I tried back then, but decided to simplify the system so I sold it & used the turntable on top of my Naim Fraim. That was a mistake. I've since bought a Quadraspire shelf, which I reckon is as good as the old Mana was. Looks much neater though.

Not a big fan of glass supports and hifi full stop. The Mana supports for speakers were quite handy when i had certain speakers and an uneven floor to support them on ,they had a particle board top. Mana like most hifi products was/is hugely overpriced IMHO and prices on lots of older kit seem to fluctuate from bargain to ridiculously expensive. This is mostly due to ebay resellers who trawl through for bargains looking to turn a profit and genuine sellers obtaining a price guide from there.

Not a big fan of glass supports and hifi full stop.
The one unavoidable issue with Mana is its need to be properly tuned. There is a sequence and method, especially with the slightly flexible Ref Tops and Stages. Get one layer out, and all bets are off.

IME, Mana works best on solid concrete floor, where there is zero chance of floor flex throwing the tune out. Mine definitely does not sound glassy or hard.

IME, Mana works best on solid concrete floor..

It depends. A rack or table with no Stages or boards involved sound harsh and nasty on a concrete floor, in my opinion. Once you get some wood in there it's fine. A wooden floor is a pain but I think it sounds better. You need to re-level the damn stuff once it sinks into the floor. If you don't, the whole thing goes off and sounds like crap.

We really should be replacing the livingroom carpet, it's twenty years old, but I can't face taking the Mana down and setting it all back up again. Might just cut around it ;0)

A rack or table with no Stages or boards involved sound harsh and nasty on a concrete floor, in my opinion. Once you get some wood in there it's fine. A wooden floor is a pain but I think it sounds better. You need to re-level the damn stuff once it sinks into the floor. If you don't, the whole thing goes off and sounds like crap.
Bare concrete, perhaps. Mine spikes through carpet and underlay. I've actually put my LP12 on top of the 5-Tier instead of the Shelf. The Linn sounds better coupled to the concrete floor than it hanging off a timber-framed wall (even with both sides of the Shelf firmly anchored onto studs).

Bare concrete, perhaps. Mine spikes through carpet and underlay.

The spikes go through to the floor so the carpet floating around them doesn't make any difference. I assume you've balanced your system in other ways but I remember back in the day, nine times out of ten when someone described Mana as sounding bad you could see why when you asked about the set-up. And bare racks on concrete floors was a regular culprit.

Have you tried a Frame or Ref Top on top of the Rack for your Linn?

Have you tried a Frame or Ref Top on top of the Rack for your Linn?[/QUOTE]

Or ...... have you tried a sound clamp !!

advertisement

Back