advertisement

Leica M240

Gromit,
Personally I wouldn't bother too much about whether it's a P or not. OK the M240P has a quieter shutter, larger buffer and stronger screen, but missing those features is not a deal breaker for most people. Remember that digital Ms are not the same as film Ms i.e. a digital Leica won't be functioning or serviceable in 50 years unlike a classic Leica M.
The digital Ms render very nicely, whether you choose a CCD or CMOS camera. I have both a M9 and M10, as well as M2 and M6TTL. The M10 is my day to day camera, with my M9 as a back up now. They both work fine. Personally I'm a great fan of the M10 with the ISO know where the film rewind knob is on the old film Ms; also the current EVF is much better than the EVF2 used on the M240. But the EVF is not an issue, if you are just planning too use as a rangefinder. Ultimately it's a tool. Buy the one you can afford and enjoy it.
Charlie

Hi Charlie - many thanks for the objective, and informative reply.

Order's just been placed for an M240P, should be arriving this thursday. :)

Child/Christmas/sweet shop etc etc...

Hi Charlie - many thanks for the objective, and informative reply.

Order's just been placed for an M240P, should be arriving this thursday. :)

Child/Christmas/sweet shop etc etc...

If you want to use an EVF on your M240 the Olympus VF-2 works and is cheaper than the Leica alternative

If you want to use an EVF on your M240 the Olympus VF-2 works and is cheaper than the Leica alternative

Thanks Steve - I only found this out very recently in fact, and is good news. How effective is an EVF on the 240? Of course I'd rather keep things 'pure' as it were but every so often I could see it being a very useful tool.

Thanks Steve - I only found this out very recently in fact, and is good news. How effective is an EVF on the 240? Of course I'd rather keep things 'pure' as it were but every so often I could see it being a very useful tool.

I have the Olympus version, but I’ve only used it a handful of times when I’ve been using my Voigtlander 15mm lens. It’s ok, but not as high definition as a more modern EVF. However it’s fine to judge a composition. I should give it another try sometime. One good thing if you’re a glasses wearer is that it has built in diopter adjustment.

I have the Olympus version, but I’ve only used it a handful of times when I’ve been using my Voigtlander 15mm lens. It’s ok, but not as high definition as a more modern EVF. However it’s fine to judge a composition. I should give it another try sometime. One good thing if you’re a glasses wearer is that it has built in diopter adjustment.

Aah - the diopter adjustment could be a good thing on its own (yes I'm a 'speccy'). Can also appreciate how invaluable it would be for an ultra-wide too.

Would the EVF allow close-up photography too?

Provided the lens can focus close enough yes.

One other thing is that if totally accurate framing is a necessity it avoids the parallax errors inevitable with a rangefinder camera.

The EVF is necessary if you use R series lenses with a M-R converter. R lenses are generally a lot cheaper than Ms, but there has been a resurgence in R lens prices with the SL/SL2 and for conversion into cine lenses. The EVF implementation is a bit clumsy with a lag period after the shutter is pressed, but it is a way to use macro lenses and long lenses on a M body.

Gromit, the VC 35/1.4 draws a bit like the pre-asph 35 lux anyway and it's a fraction of the price.

Thanks Charlie - I'd been weighing up various options, deciding on a 35 when I was looking closely at a couple of M8's (I do like the 45-50ish FoV) but a quick 35 is a useful lens with any sensor size IME. The Skopar also kept coming up on the options list - as did the Nokton 1.2 - but the 1.4 seems to be a sweet spot. And a nice size too.

Gromit, the VC 35/1.4 draws a bit like the pre-asph 35 lux anyway and it's a fraction of the price.

I’ve owned two examples of the Leica lens, and from f2 upwards it’s a beautiful lens. The only reason I sold them was because I also had the 35mm ASPH Summicron. If the VC offers similar performance it’s a bargain.

The 35 1.4 VC is a bargain - flawed like the 35 pre-asph lux, but I like that glow myself. The small size is good - it makes the M and lens something, which will fit in a decent size jacket pocket.

Re the Voigt 35 - this bodes well. :)

Mine's arriving tomorrow so will get to have a play with it on the X-Pro2.

advertisement

Back